Auto tracking

IMB

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an interest in these dahua auto tracking cameras. I have a large area to cover and I was wondering if it was economical to purchase these things.

My goal is to command them to rotate between looking at some different preset areas. Say, look at area 1 for 5 seconds, then look at area 2 for 5 seconds, then look at area 3 for 5 seconds etc.

In these areas, can I draw boxes in the air (to exclude the dogs) to say anyone caught in this box when the camera goes to this spot will trigger an auto track (zoom for identification)?

I saw that it's possible to trigger a PTZ camera to go to a preset when another camera's tripwire trips, but does that mean the PTZ camera will try to get an ID?

Another good thing about this patrol is that the main viewscreen in the kitchen can cover a lot more ground with just 4 cameras, say if my mom wanted to see where my dad was.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an interest in these dahua auto tracking cameras. I have a large area to cover and I was wondering if it was economical to purchase these things.

My goal is to command them to rotate between looking at some different preset areas. Say, look at area 1 for 5 seconds, then look at area 2 for 5 seconds, then look at area 3 for 5 seconds etc.

In these areas, can I draw boxes in the air (to exclude the dogs) to say anyone caught in this box when the camera goes to this spot will trigger an auto track (zoom for identification)?

I saw that it's possible to trigger a PTZ camera to go to a preset when another camera's tripwire trips, but does that mean the PTZ camera will try to get an ID?

Another good thing about this patrol is that the main viewscreen in the kitchen can cover a lot more ground with just 4 cameras, say if my mom wanted to see where my dad was.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
You cannot replace multiple cameras with an auto tracking camera. First autotracking is not accurate. Second, even if you dial in the camera to be somewhat accurate, the camera can only track one object at a time and only look in one direction at a time. You will miss valuable video. Patrol makes it worse.

IMB

n3wb
Reaction score
But that might be all i need though, I'm not in a city. If anyone is roving about this place past midnight that's not good.

IMB

n3wb
Reaction score
The point of the cameras is to

1. notify us that someone is on the property
2. get a picture of their face
3. give us a good idea of what's going on day to day... like give us a few extra seconds of notice when someone shows up unexpectedly

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The point of the cameras is to

1. notify us that someone is on the property
2. get a picture of their face
3. give us a good idea of what's going on day to day... like give us a few extra seconds of notice when someone shows up unexpectedly
Once again you cannot do that by simply replacing fix cameras with PTZ... Save your money and byb fixed cameras unless you plan on sitting there all night scanning your property

IMB

n3wb
Reaction score
well suppose you had some fixed cameras, if I had some of those covering key areas and they 'trip', can I alert a PTZ to rotate to that area and attempt to auto track?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
well suppose you had some fixed cameras, if I had some of those covering key areas and they 'trip', can I alert a PTZ to rotate to that area and attempt to auto track?
You are overthinking it.. you don't need a ptz at all

IMB

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't live in a house with a back yard and a front driveway. This is a farm split into two halves, and I have ethernet in one building on each half. I'm looking at more than ten cameras and over 1000 feet of ethernet cable.

I'm just trying to see if I can accomplish my goals with fewer cameras is all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't live in a house with a back yard and a front driveway. This is a farm split into two halves, and I have ethernet in one building on each half. I'm looking at more than ten cameras and over 1000 feet of ethernet cable.

I'm just trying to see if I can accomplish my goals with fewer cameras is all.
You can't

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Once again you cannot do that by simply replacing fix cameras with PTZ...Save your money and byb fixed cameras unless you plan on sitting there all night scanning your property
@IMB- What Fenderman is saying is that "auto-tracking" is an immature technology which doesn't function all that well except in Hollywood...or on those YouTube demo videos you may have salivated over. On the other hand, PTZ may be able to cover the entire area you need to surveil -- however -- PTZ needs a human operator to function effectively.

Don't be a sucker and fall for the hype @IMB.

Last edited:

IMB

n3wb
Reaction score
Very well. That's why you guys are here. I think dad will be happy if I can do this whole job for under 3000.

I can go buy a couple huge spools of ethernet and just get going at it with multiple cheap cameras rather than figuring out how to program some shitty camera management software (and it sounds really shitty) then just buy huge hard drives and start recording.

What say you two?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Very well. That's why you guys are here. I think dad will be happy if I can do this whole job for under 3000.

I can go buy a couple huge spools of ethernet and just get going at it with multiple cheap cameras rather than figuring out how to program some shitty camera management software (and it sounds really shitty) then just buy huge hard drives and start recording.

What say you two?
you will still need an NVR or a vms to record...see blue iris....ethernet runs have limits of 328 feet to spec some more with good cable..

IMB

n3wb
Reaction score
Well sometimes the simple solution is the best, isn't it. I've tested the ethernet limit, I'm slightly over it actually from house to shop, but it works great anyway.

What is the POE limit though? for putting power through the unused twisted pairs? How many feet?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well sometimes the simple solution is the best, isn't it. I've tested the ethernet limit, I'm slightly over it actually from house to shop, but it works great anyway.

What is the POE limit though? for putting power through the unused twisted pairs? How many feet?
first its not about the poe, its about the data as well...second you are assuming poe works on the unused pairs...that is rarely the case..it depends on the mode.....or possibly you are simply using the Ethernet with an external power adapter...its unclear.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can always buy an auto tracking camera and see if it meets your needs. If it doesn't, then you can turn it into a PTZ or even a fixed camera. You can't go the other way.

From my point of view, the real cost of this hobby is the time spent wiring the cameras. If you spend a little more on a camera and that does what you need-- then you've saved time and money. If not, fill in the gaps with some cheaper fixed cameras.

You may get a very different answer from a retired guy.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As others have noted, spend the money on fixed Dahua Starlight cameras. If you want to pony up the money for a ptz to oversee the fixed cams, then you can do so, but start with all fixed cameras. PTZ's are cool, but remember 99% of the time they're facing one way looking at one area until you move it.

Pmedicj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As others have noted, spend the money on fixed Dahua Starlight cameras. If you want to pony up the money for a ptz to oversee the fixed cams, then you can do so, but start with all fixed cameras. PTZ's are cool, but remember 99% of the time they're facing one way looking at one area until you move it.
or have your ptz’s move to your fixed cams IVS rules.

I love playing around with auto tracking and watching the reactions people have when they see the camera following them.
To me it’s a novelty but I find using fixed cams with IVS and having the ptz respond to those locations or perform a tour when activated much more useful.