Best camera positioning?

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ordered 3 cameras. I'm trying to figure out my positioning for them... any advice?

The 2 red circles are locations that I think are good.
The 2 blue circles I'm unsure of, I can only pick 1 of those locations.
The purple lines are the field of view for the cameras, approximately

Which would be better?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At best you will only covers 50% of the drawn area, so decide what you believe to be you most vulnerable area's try to cover them as best as possible.

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Jump up to 6 cameras and you should be good or close anyway.

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
At best you will only covers 50% of the drawn area, so decide what you believe to be you most vulnerable area's try to cover them as best as possible.
I feel I only need cameras at the doors/windows though, and this would cover it in my drawing.

I have no windows/doors on either side of the house on the 1st floor. The left side has 1 window on the 2nd floor. But nobody's coming in through a ladder...my neighbor's house is 40 feet away.

Which of the 2 blue circles would be better positioning for a camera? I'm thinking the 1 at the back of the house, that way I'd see the side of my house and AC Unit. If I put it at the front corner, then people could just walk behind the camera easily.

Reaction score
I think its still lacking. If you can just add 1 more camera, maybe it will be more suited to cover most of the area. 2 cameras on the front and at the back are still unsure of to cover the AC unit. Try adding 1 camera intended only for the A/C unit and the two red circles where the location of your cameras are good enough for me though.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Which of the 2 blue circles would be better positioning for a camera? I'm thinking the 1 at the back of the house, that way I'd see the side of my house and AC Unit. If I put it at the front corner, then people could just walk behind the camera easily.
As long as that AC unit isn't blocking your view , I would say you are correct in going with the one further back.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Putting cams close to "choke points" will get good facial shots to identify trespassers. Most folks mount a cam near each door and gate. Then one looking at parked cars in driveway, to Id car prowlers. After you addressed security, then you can opt for panoramic cam, aka overview cams, to look at yard, pets, passing cars on the street, etc.

Applying the above guidance, the backyard cam should move.

However, all this theoretical talk is not nearly as valuable as putting a cam on "test rig" and seeing actual video from the proposed mounting locations. You may change your mind on the location. I know I did!

Check these threads:
Best location for Camera
Advice appreciated
Best cameras for my location?
Driveway camera install.
Where to install turret camera I'm about to purchase?