Best monitoring app for (hikvision) ip cameras

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to forward the media port for ivms 4500 (default 8000) not the rtsp port. You dont need to forward 554 for ivms4500 to work. 554 is only needed for the NVR (as well as 8000)...
For the record, all the devices you listed can connect to a vpn..
Sweet! That was it! (port 8000).

Regarding VPN, don't I need to install a client on all these machines? We have pretty strict IP policies at work (gov't stuff), not sure I'd ever get that to fly.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sweet! That was it! (port 8000).

Regarding VPN, don't I need to install a client on all these machines? We have pretty strict IP policies at work (gov't stuff), not sure I'd ever get that to fly.
I would never use a work pc to connect to home anyways...use your phone...Also, if you are using your pc, that means you are forwarding the http port and rtsp port, that is a much greater security risk. Dont do it.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
What do you mean?

tinyCam Monitor supports PTZ for Hikvision cams via selecting models like DS-2DC2202I-DE3/W, DS-2CD3Q10FD-IW.
Another option to try is to use (ONVIF) vendor in the app. Hikvision cams are ONVIF compatible.
Onvif only works when rtsp port is 554, doesn't work with custom ports. Rtsp port in onvif profile is not editable.

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
Onvif only works when rtsp port is 554, doesn't work with custom ports. Rtsp port in onvif profile is not editable.
For ONVIF camera RTSP port is obtained automatically from the camera. So you cannot change it in the app. That's why it is disabled. You need to change RTSP port on the camera via web browser.

UPDATE: In tinyCam Monitor 6.4 is now allowed to override RTSP port for ONVIF protocol.

Last edited by a moderator:

ben123

n3wb
Reaction score
I recommend using the Android app "IP Camera Monitor" for video surveillance. All ip cameras on my network are automatically scanned and easily get added to the software. No connection issues. It supports multiple camera brands and models.

JT_Singh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can also simply change the external port for the cameras and keep the internal port the same.. Most routers support this function...

Sent via Taptalk
Hello mate - is there any detailed guide on how to set tinycam or IVMS up for Hikvision cameras?

Jcruz322

n3wb
Reaction score
If you only have hikvision cameras, ivms4500 mobile is what you should be using for two reasons. 1) it only requires forwarding the media port not the http and rtsp port 2) its the only app that can play back video recorded by the camera.
Can you help me why i cannot do a remote playback? Im using IVMS 4500. Any help would be great

Ben123456

n3wb
Reaction score
You should add "IP Camera Monitor" to the list. I think it is the best app for hikvision cams. It lets me watch a live video of any camera directly from my phone no matter where I am. I can also capture photos of an event. This is an excellent app with a lot of nice features.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you guys should use iVMS for android/ apple.
You get the extra features like remote controller where you can disable remote from app the smart/motion detection.
Remote playback etc from device.

I had/have tinycam but havent used it for ages.

Implement OpenVPN client from your phone first to your router for security and then its just a 2 step process, click openVPN to set up VPN which is instant to your home/camera network and then open IVMS.

Totally secure.

I wrote the how to for OpenVPN setup somewhere on this site.

Ben123456

n3wb
Reaction score
You should add "IP Camera Monitor" to the list. I think it is the best app for hikvision cams. It lets me watch a live video of any camera directly from my phone no matter where I am. I can also capture photos of an event. This is an excellent app with a lot of nice features.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ip_camera_monitor

Ben123456

n3wb
Reaction score
You should add "IP Camera Monitor" to the list. It supports all the hikvision cameras I have access to. It also lets me watch a live video of any of my cameras directly from my phone no matter where I am. I can also capture photos and much more. I use it with the desktop app so I can view my home and office cameras while I am traveling. This is an excellent app with a lot of nice features.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ip_camera_monitor

n3wb
Reaction score
I may be the oddball here, but I run the simple IPCamViewer for quick fast access when I need it, for all other purposes to include notifications, I use Hiks EZViz app. The interface and options in my opinion, are way better and more detailed than 4500. If I had one wish, it would be to be able to get notifications directly from the port like 4500 used to do, as running through thier cloud, it seems to be a 5 to 6 second delay on push notifications which bothers me. But other than that, EZViz seems to be the most intuitive offering all the options I could want.