Best monitoring app for (hikvision) ip cameras

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Close the app if you can either by closing it from the left button thing or by restarting the phone.

Then try and clear the app cache and app data from the settings (phone settings under apps).

Maniaxx

n3wb
Reaction score
In my opinion TinyCam is unsurpassed due to hardware acceleration/decompression. It supports fps display and shows 8fps here on s/w decoding and ~18fps (20fps max) on h/w decompression (on I9506/Snapdragon800/quadcore/2048x1546/RTSP/TCP). The low s/w framerate seems the same like on iVMS-4500. Unfortunately, the i9506 has some artifacts on h/w decompression (i talked already with alexvas about that) but if you have a device that works properly with it you can probably get a much better framerate than with any other app.

Last edited by a moderator:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I use tinyCam Pro on my Amazon Firestick. I loved it very much and very useful to see who at the door at the press of a remote button.

If your TV support CES and if your watching TV and doorbell rings, just grab the Amazon Firestick remote and press a button, it'll force the TV to change source over to where the Firestick is plugged into and you can see who's at the door. Also you can have several different camera and switch view between each one at the press of a button.

And the developer is awesome too! One time the developer add some feature which broke tinyCam on Firestick. When I emailed him about it, he quickly released another version to correct the problem.

One thing I would like to see is to be able to play back files stored in each camera, I don't have a NVR so all my recordings are stored on scandisk in each camera. I plan to replace camera soon and start storing recording elsewhere but I am not sure if I should go with one of the Hikivision NVR or get a desktop and use BI ... decision decision decision ....

Bill

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Close the app if you can either by closing it from the left button thing or by restarting the phone.

Then try and clear the app cache and app data from the settings (phone settings under apps).
Clearing the app data/cache fixed it! Thank you!!!

JohnnyBeGood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Use Hikvisions iVMS-4500 available for both iphones and android phones.

The only thing I don't like about it is when playing back. It will go to the beginning of the recording which could be weeks prior.
I had same issue but the trick is on camera select screen to change "From" date.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had same issue but the trick is on camera select screen to change "From" date.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yeah I figured that out right after I posted that. It still is a bit finicky to change the date and time. I wish Hikvision would work more on the UI.

IE you set a time you want to go look at you're viewing it and you need to go back further. You have to go out to say Live View and then back to Playback to set the time again.

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Clearing the app data/cache fixed it! Thank you!!!
This was short lived. :( It worked briefly then became inconsistent. The app works sometimes and other times it just loads the streams forever. I even uninstalled and reinstalled with the same results....Maybe Android 6 will be better otherwise I will be changing apps. Bummer.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^That's a bummer. I have't had any issues on my S5. I think it comes down to YMMV.

Try the HD version see if it's any different.

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is just disappointing since it only started after the latest update. I will see if I can find an sdk for the previous app version.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Might be another case of if it ain't broke don't fix it. What phone/device are you running it on?

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nexus 5 with Android 5.1
It looks like it is the hik devices according to comments on the play store. Hikvision support says to update to the latest firmware. My cams all have the original 5.2.0 loaded still so I will do some reading to see how to update them.

The HD, tablet version, works without issue.

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
The latest tinyCam Monitor 6.2.8 version for Android brings one useful feature which many Hikvision cameras owners have asked me to implement - ability to override video aspect ratio in the app. The problem is that in for low-resolution streams Hikvision cameras can send video feed with modified aspect ratio making video looks stretched. Now in the app you can fix that.
device-2015-11-01-115950_framed.png

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Tiny cam needs to have PTZ functions fixed for Hikvision profile.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone know why I can't see my Hik camera from the WAN? The first two cameras I can see from the WAN but not the Hikvision camera.

I downloaded iVMS-4500 yet when I point it to DDNS name port 8002 I get "Receiving data from the device timed out."
With IPCamViewer on my iphone I get "could not connect"
PC running VLC can't connect either.

Screenshot 2015-11-18 at 9.57.55 PM.png

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With IPCamViewer on my iphone I get "could not connect"
If you forward both the web admin port (80 I guess in your case) and the RTSP (554 in your case?) for each camera, any mobile viewer app should work. This is what worked for me.

Of course port forwarding is not fully secure (repeated illegal logins from IP addresses outside my network and continent), and thats why I simply created a VPN for my home network using my NAS as the VPN server, use openVPN for Android to log into my home network and then I need to port forward just one port (VPN port) and have advanced attack detection features such as IP banning.

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
Tiny cam needs to have PTZ functions fixed for Hikvision profile.
What do you mean?

tinyCam Monitor supports PTZ for Hikvision cams via selecting models like DS-2DC2202I-DE3/W, DS-2CD3Q10FD-IW.
Another option to try is to use (ONVIF) vendor in the app. Hikvision cams are ONVIF compatible.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you forward both the web admin port (80 I guess in your case) and the RTSP (554 in your case?) for each camera, any mobile viewer app should work. This is what worked for me.

Of course port forwarding is not fully secure (repeated illegal logins from IP addresses outside my network and continent), and thats why I simply created a VPN for my home network using my NAS as the VPN server, use openVPN for Android to log into my home network and then I need to port forward just one port (VPN port) and have advanced attack detection features such as IP banning.
Thanks, wish I knew how to do that :(
VPN isn't going to work for me. I've got so many different devices that I could log in on (work pc, iphone, tablet, etc). Wish I could get this to work.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, wish I knew how to do that :(
VPN isn't going to work for me. I've got so many different devices that I could log in on (work pc, iphone, tablet, etc). Wish I could get this to work.
You need to forward the media port for ivms 4500 (default 8000) not the rtsp port. You dont need to forward 554 for ivms4500 to work. 554 is only needed for the NVR (as well as 8000)...
For the record, all the devices you listed can connect to a vpn..