Blue Iris 4 and Night Owl DVR8

SRGNBrar

n3wb
Reaction score
Any update to this? I've been similarly trying to connect an F6-DVR8 to BI. My next option is to look for a BNC capture card to source the feed directly...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any update to this? I've been similarly trying to connect an F6-DVR8 to BI. My next option is to look for a BNC capture card to source the feed directly...
See above posts that worked..you are likely setting something wrong...regardless..
capture card is a poor choice - the few that work with blue iris are crazy expensive and have driver issues with 64 bit..you are WAY better off using a dahua hybrid DVR as an encoder...this way you can replace the crappy 960h cams with 1080 for cheap and still use the same cable...better yet replace the cable with ethernet and make the move to ip.

SRGNBrar

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I've gone through it, but not sure which device he was using. OP was using an F6-DVR8 and wasn't able to get it to work as of Oct 2016.

We're slowly transitioning into BI/IP, but wanted to keep the analog cams we have during the transition due to budget limitations.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've gone through it, but not sure which device he was using. OP was using an F6-DVR8 and wasn't able to get it to work as of Oct 2016.

We're slowly transitioning into BI/IP, but wanted to keep the analog cams we have during the transition due to budget limitations.
Then youll be spending money twice....
like i said, worst case, but a hybrid DVR, they are cheaper than capture cards that work with blue iris, and can support 1080p (and higher) over coax while still using your old cams.1080p cvi cams are cheap...

SRGNBrar

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, likely I'll just leave the Night Owl system running as it is, and not devote any more resources towards it while I get the IP infrastructure together

tommyd75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I think I found a solution for this DVR. You need to use the mobile access instead. Try using the "Zmodo DVR DM-70B,8104/8114/9114/6/8" IP camera selection with media port 18004 - which is the default mobile port setting. Camera selection should start at 1, and incremented for the other cameras. Finally got mine to work this way. Phew!!! Many hours of investment.
Which dvr model did you get it working on?
I'm looking for the rtsp stream link for a Night Owl HDA10L-DVR8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Which dvr model did you get it working on?
I'm looking for the rtsp stream link for a Night Owl HDA10L-DVR8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your outta luck, I'd say return it now while you can!
I finally given up on mine as I even messaged a engineer I found on LinkedIn and he said Nightowl has gone a route that does that support RTSP streams or any method to 3rd party.

I since purchased off Groupon a refurbished Swann DVR8-4500 8channel DVR for $100 bucks and I'll tel you what, it's WELL WORTH IT. Almost 7 months with it and no problems, RTSP is simple and found on iSpys RTSP list, and this unit supports 1080p cameras so I've so far switched out 2 of my cameras to there 1080p and slightly wider camera, while using my Night Owl cable still.

Reaction score
To anyone familiar with the F6-DVR8 nightowl, do you have trouble wifh it not connecting in your app? Mine often says Device Offline.
Also, what are some examples of some hybrid DVRs? I want to migrate to IPCams etc, but dont want to lose my BNC system

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
To anyone familiar with the F6-DVR8 nightowl, do you have trouble wifh it not connecting in your app? Mine often says Device Offline.
Also, what are some examples of some hybrid DVRs? I want to migrate to IPCams etc, but dont want to lose my BNC system
see the dahua pentabrid dvr....

Reaction score
Ok, I think I found a solution for this DVR. You need to use the mobile access instead. Try using the "Zmodo DVR DM-70B,8104/8114/9114/6/8" IP camera selection with media port 18004 - which is the default mobile port setting. Camera selection should start at 1, and incremented for the other cameras. Finally got mine to work this way. Phew!!! Many hours of investment.
I tried this, and got nowhere.

KizerAir

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey there!

I know this thread is just about dead, but I wanted to share with yall a summarized version of my long , and very painful journey getting this DVR to communicate with Blue Iris.

First off, it can be done!

Secondly, I am not a computer person at all so before anyone says anything im sure I did some stuff wrong or didn't do some stuff i should have but hey, I got it working lol.

Night owl f6-DVR8

Ok! So, same as most of you I got the RTSP PORT OPEN! Message. But could not for the life of me figure anything past that. I tried every single thread in here relating to the topic (there are a few) I did every solution that was suggested to no avail. I was thinking the same thing last, its just a matter of getting the correct parameters. I spent endless hours researching and inputting different params and nothing.

BI tech support wasn't all that helpful, they basically said if I can't ensure that the RTSP port is open, they can't do anything. Which ok, fine, they were right BUT I just felt they didn't really give my problem much effort. (I found out later that it was only 1 person handling their tech support, so I had to cut him some slack)

NO Tech support said yes the DVR is RTSP compatible! Awesome! So what would be the default address and port? She didn't know.... Said she would have to raise my problem to level 2 support.
Level 2 calls me within HOURS (sweet). He says the option to ENABLE rtsp is built into the router it is only accessible through the internet browser viewer though (weird). But couldn't find it.
With that said, there is a solution there though for SOME. You may have it and not know it.

Open internet explorer and type in the IP and port to your DVR. Login, and up at the top you should see a button that says remote settings click that on the left hand side you will see networking under the networking tab, below DDNS you should see RTSP. In there you can enable and set your RTSP options and it will tell you the proper params for your DVR!
If you do not see it, however, it means yours didn't get the update in time. Apparently they did make a firmware update that enable the RTSP menu option. BUT me and the tech guy found out, that not all the DVRs actually upgraded. And unfortunately, they don't even have the firmware upgrade file anymore? He told me he was going to have to call some retired Dev out in Florida to see if he had it and he would call me back!

... That was like 2 weeks ago lol

I didn't give up. And a few nights ago, as I sat there at my computer, hours of trying random things in hopes of lucking out, I did just that.

So, I was in the developer options on IE just trying to read through random JavaScript and networking stuff that I don't understand AT ALL (lol) and I happened upon something.

Ready?
SOLUTION:
1. OPEN Internet explorer and log into your DVR.
2. Open developer options (f12)
3. At the top click on remote settings.
4. On the left hand menu click Networking
5. In the developer options click DOM explorer, then the little cursor thingy and boxes in the top left of THAT pane.
6. Click on any of the menu options under the networking.
7. You'll notice that the DOM explorer popped up a bunch of JavaScript stuff that correlate to paths within a the networking menu.
8. On of them says RTSPenable or something like that and next to it says style: display: none;
9. Where it says display none click on it and replace it with cursor: pointer; (I think, I'm not in front of my computer look above or below it and whatever the menu options that ARE showing up say next to style, just copy and paste that to it that's all i did.)
10. And BOOM the rtsp menu option shows up!
11. Click it and enable and set your port up, I set mine to 10554 because I had already forwarded that port. and below that, it will give you the rtsp:/ address!
Enter it as a GENERIC rtsp address in BI and that should be it! Make sure the media port says 9000 though or whatever yours is set to.

I can post screen shots or answer any other questions y'all may have if anyone is still trying this. Just let me know and I will spend as long as it takes to get you up and running because believe me, I know how frustrating it is to do it alone!

Reaction score
Ill be trying this in 30 mins. If this works, ill fly to wherever you are, and buy you a beer. No, two beers.

chet

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey there!

I know this thread is just about dead, but I wanted to share with yall a summarized version of my long , and very painful journey getting this DVR to communicate with Blue Iris.

First off, it can be done!

Secondly, I am not a computer person at all so before anyone says anything im sure I did some stuff wrong or didn't do some stuff i should have but hey, I got it working lol.

Night owl f6-DVR8

Ok! So, same as most of you I got the RTSP PORT OPEN! Message. But could not for the life of me figure anything past that. I tried every single thread in here relating to the topic (there are a few) I did every solution that was suggested to no avail. I was thinking the same thing last, its just a matter of getting the correct parameters. I spent endless hours researching and inputting different params and nothing.

BI tech support wasn't all that helpful, they basically said if I can't ensure that the RTSP port is open, they can't do anything. Which ok, fine, they were right BUT I just felt they didn't really give my problem much effort. (I found out later that it was only 1 person handling their tech support, so I had to cut him some slack)

NO Tech support said yes the DVR is RTSP compatible! Awesome! So what would be the default address and port? She didn't know.... Said she would have to raise my problem to level 2 support.
Level 2 calls me within HOURS (sweet). He says the option to ENABLE rtsp is built into the router it is only accessible through the internet browser viewer though (weird). But couldn't find it.
With that said, there is a solution there though for SOME. You may have it and not know it.

Open internet explorer and type in the IP and port to your DVR. Login, and up at the top you should see a button that says remote settings click that on the left hand side you will see networking under the networking tab, below DDNS you should see RTSP. In there you can enable and set your RTSP options and it will tell you the proper params for your DVR!
If you do not see it, however, it means yours didn't get the update in time. Apparently they did make a firmware update that enable the RTSP menu option. BUT me and the tech guy found out, that not all the DVRs actually upgraded. And unfortunately, they don't even have the firmware upgrade file anymore? He told me he was going to have to call some retired Dev out in Florida to see if he had it and he would call me back!

... That was like 2 weeks ago lol

I didn't give up. And a few nights ago, as I sat there at my computer, hours of trying random things in hopes of lucking out, I did just that.

So, I was in the developer options on IE just trying to read through random JavaScript and networking stuff that I don't understand AT ALL (lol) and I happened upon something.

Ready?
SOLUTION:
1. OPEN Internet explorer and log into your DVR.
2. Open developer options (f12)
3. At the top click on remote settings.
4. On the left hand menu click Networking
5. In the developer options click DOM explorer, then the little cursor thingy and boxes in the top left of THAT pane.
6. Click on any of the menu options under the networking.
7. You'll notice that the DOM explorer popped up a bunch of JavaScript stuff that correlate to paths within a the networking menu.
8. On of them says RTSPenable or something like that and next to it says style: display: none;
9. Where it says display none click on it and replace it with cursor: pointer; (I think, I'm not in front of my computer look above or below it and whatever the menu options that ARE showing up say next to style, just copy and paste that to it that's all i did.)
10. And BOOM the rtsp menu option shows up!
11. Click it and enable and set your port up, I set mine to 10554 because I had already forwarded that port. and below that, it will give you the rtsp:/ address!
Enter it as a GENERIC rtsp address in BI and that should be it! Make sure the media port says 9000 though or whatever yours is set to.

I can post screen shots or answer any other questions y'all may have if anyone is still trying this. Just let me know and I will spend as long as it takes to get you up and running because believe me, I know how frustrating it is to do it alone!

I know this over a year ago but do you have screenshots for this? I see the options you have listed in your solution. Thanks

chet

n3wb
Reaction score
From Sept. 2017, maybe it will help you: Night Owl F6-DVR16 & Blue Iris 4
Thanks. I did see this but my interface doesn't look the same. I was hoping to see if I can mimic some of those settings but I was having problems finding where to enable/disable rstp.

I didn't see the option in the dvr program itself and didn't see the same options as he described in the post above when going to the web page.

Reaction score
In regards to KizerAir's message and synopsis, this CAN be done. It took a hot minute to get everything set but I have it working with our nightowl 16 camera analog nvr.

His guide can be followed to the letter, and I can offer guidance on that if anyone out there is still trying to get this done. He was correct on putting in "cursor: pointer;" to get the option to come up. (I'm not sure if that's correct, but it works), and once done the setting menu popped up and was able to be done.

As far as settings within Blue Iris goes, in my instance I set my RTSP port to 552 and followed the haphazardly written instructions on the nightowl page that essentially comes out to having to write in the channel and stream parameters in there. Which isn't all that hard and just comes out to IP.ADDRESS:552/ch01/0 for the main stream or IP.ADDRESS:552/ch01/1 for the substream.

Media/Video/RTSP port is set to 552, with Discovery/ONVIF port set to 80 (I changed it from 2049 because that's esoteric and I wanted to test if 80 was better). I also have enabled the Use RTP/UDP port option and have it set to 552 (Once again not sure if that's right - but it works)

It's up and it works, still have more testing to do but at least I'm done banging my head against the wall because it was so clear it COULD be done, just a question of how. I've never been so relieved to see a crusty old analog image pop up. Mad respect and props to everyone before me that's been struggling and solving this issue and crazy props to KizerAir. I have no idea how he even came across the dev tools idea to find that option.

Will attach screenshot if able as new account.

Attachments

Reaction score
It's still working for me!! Although if my NightOwl DVR loses power, or decides to reboot, I have to setup this process everytime.Not a big deal. KizerAir usually doesn't show much intelligence here, but on June 2018, he changed my life forever.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is what works for my Night Owl...simply copy the camera in BI and then change the camera to the next number camera to bring in how ever many cameras you have connected to the DVR...but I cannot figure out how to implement the substreams?

1593638536971.png