Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Try typing it in.
Thanks! I typed it in and the button didn't change to "Next" but I clicked it anyway and it seems to have worked. My license is valid but it shows "Basic" support, I had purchased priority support so I'll work with BI on that.

Looks like my cameras are up, trigger zones are intact, app is working but UI3 is not.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Fixed UI3 by updating the path in Web Server settings.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks! I typed it in and the button didn't change to "Next" but I clicked it anyway and it seems to have worked. My license is valid but it shows "Basic" support, I had purchased priority support so I'll work with BI on that.

Looks like my cameras are up, trigger zones are intact, app is working but UI3 is not.
If your new key looks similar to the old key that you have I would try unregistering and then licensing using the old key to see what happens?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well this is pretty frustrating, just bought a new license and received the new activation code. When I paste it in the window, it doesn't say "Next" so I'm dead in the water right now.
You are not entering it correctly

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm searching for it... is it the 5 groups of 5 letters separated by a hyphen? If not, I'm not sure where I can find it. I've searched email for anything sent from BI, no luck so far. Thanks for replying.
This is why everyone should write down the key and tape it to the server. Never lose it then.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I finally got time away from my project to update one of my PC's to Bi5, version v5.0.0.57
Win 10 install about 6 months old, and update went smooth.

I did review some video, and had a lockup, but was able to run it again with no problems.
If things go well for a week or so, I will start customer locations next.
I lost some of my zones and had to reset the detection on 12 of the 18 cameras.
I guess not too bad for an update.

Last edited:

Fubduck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally upgraded and things went great until I removed BI4, I said no to delete registry entries and activation and rebooted. Had to re-enter my key, restore settings from backup and then do a database repair. Unfortunately I lost 21 days of alerts. I have clips going back until June 3rd at 6pm, but no alerts before June 13th @ 215am and none between June 21st @ 1117a and July 2nd @ 1213p.

Edit: After the upgrade, done during the Day profile, I verified that the Gaussian algorithm was selected and High Definition was checked for all cameras and Profiles. I have a day and a night profile. When BI5 switched to the night profile every camera had High Definition unchecked and they were set to the simple algorithm. This caused the zones I had for both day and night to be messed up. I found that if I set the algorithm back to Gaussian and checked High Definition and saved it that the previous settings I had for the zones I had came back to their correct configuration.

edit2: clarity

Last edited:

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, after taking the plunge a week or so ago to upgrade from V4 to V5, and finding 95% of the upgrade was successful (4.8.6.3 > 5.0.057), I've finally gotten around to uninstalling 4.8.6.3...

Based on my experience(s) updating 4 to 5, I strongly advise that before uninstalling V4, that you backup "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\" within the Registry.

- Open the Registry (regedit.exe)
- Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software
- Right click on \Perspective Software\
- Export, choose a filename and location you're happy with

I found after uninstalling V4, and despite saying "No" to Delete Registry Keys and License Information, that the majority of my HKLM\Perspective Software\ key was gone. This meant, that my licensing information was stripped, as was all my settings.

Thankfully, as I had exported the PS registry key, I simply imported that and everything was restored.

Be careful.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, will they ever get this glitch fixed I wonder. I have worked with software for years and done upgrades but never have I seen anything like this. It may cost only a little money to buy but this should not happen. Sorry if I offend anyone by saying this but it is the truth.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
.................... I found after uninstalling V4, and despite saying "No" to Delete Registry Keys and License Information, that the majority of my HKLM\Perspective Software\ key was gone. This meant, that my licensing information was stripped, as was all my settings.

Thankfully, as I had exported the PS registry key, I simply imported that and everything was restored......
Thank you for the information. Have you reported this to Ken? If not, please do.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s best to report it, if multiple reports of the same issue are reported then it obviously gives him a clue as to there being a problem rather than a blip.

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with the service showing that it is running, but I cannot connect unless I restart the service. Granted, I did not stop the service that was running in v4 before installing v5, but I am wondering how I can fix the issue so that I can view my cameras without having to constantly restart the service. Help is greatly appreciated.
Anyone have any input on this issue? I constantly have to restart the BI service after I have viewed my cameras over a browser or smartphone app.

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found after uninstalling V4, and despite saying "No" to Delete Registry Keys and License Information, that the majority of my HKLM\Perspective Software\ key was gone. This meant, that my licensing information was stripped, as was all my settings.
Yes, I have also encountered the same problem. I have reported this problem to Ken (Blue Iris support). For anyone interested, you can make a backup of Blue Iris settings using REGEDIT from the command line or from a batch file.

[ For 64-bit version of Blue Iris 5 ]
REGEDIT /E:A "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\BlueIris_v5.reg" "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software"

The advantage is that it works outside the Blue Iris console and is in ascii text format. I was able to use NOTEPAD and do a search and replace on any references to Blue Iris 4 and change them to Blue Iris 5. I discovered a few things were still pointing to my Blue Iris 4 folder like the log path.

"LogPath"="C:\\Program Files\\Blue Iris 4\\Blue Iris.txt" changed to "LogPath"="C:\\Program Files\\Blue Iris 5\\Blue Iris.txt"

Once I save the changes to the .REG file, all I had to do is double click on the REG file and it saved the changes to the Windows registry. FYI: make sure Blue Iris is not running in memory or as a service before doing this.

Last edited: