Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've upgraded 3 machines so far and every time I lose the registry settings and registration when I uninstall BI 4 even though I am definitely telling it to keep them. The solution is restoring from registry backups while BI is not running. Thank goodness BI makes its own registry backups automatically.
I can confirm this as well.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am stuck at step “0”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Was pointed here from the other thread...Is "Step 0" still the recommendation at this time?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I've upgraded 3 4 machines so far and every time I lose the registry settings and registration when I uninstall BI 4 even though I am definitely telling it to keep them. The solution is restoring from registry backups while BI is not running. Thank goodness BI makes its own registry backups automatically.

Other than that, it seems to be fine.
I have just left ver 4 on my windows 10 machine. figured it would not hurt anything, just deleted the shortcut and menu to it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Was pointed here from the other thread...Is "Step 0" still the recommendation at this time?
I've started upgrading more machines. I think it is stable enough. Although you should know there are still some issues like losing your settings after uninstalling BI4, and losing your configuration of profiles 2-7 during the upgrade due to changes in how those things are stored in the registry.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've started upgrading more machines. I think it is stable enough. Although you should know there are still some issues like losing your settings after uninstalling BI4, and losing your configuration of profiles 2-7 during the upgrade due to changes in how those things are stored in the registry.
Thanks, I am going to treat it like everything was new. I am going to do some long overdue firmware upgrades on all my cameras as well, so I'm fine with losing profiles, etc.
My protected video clips are on a separate drive. I have no idea if or how they would associate back to BI5. So I may just drag whatever clips I want to keep to an independent folder too.

I had read, maybe in this or the other thread there was some issue with UI# installing correctly and requiring manual mods to get working in some cases. Is that still an issue.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I had read, maybe in this or the other thread there was some issue with UI# installing correctly and requiring manual mods to get working in some cases. Is that still an issue.
No

bohemian

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, after performing what appeared to be a successful upgrade, things just went South from there.

The first sign was an inability for UI3 to load a list of the cameras (a useful "fail" message with a suggestion to reload). While attempting to troubleshoot that through multiple reboots, somewhere along the line the v5 database no longer showed no clips for any of my cameras. So, no web access, no clips anymore.

As suggested by many, I had not deleted any of the config or keys for v4, so I re-installed v4 but it failed to load correctly when run, erroring out. Since this is a dedicated Blue Iris server, I eventually just reverted back to a Windows 10 restore point to a working v4 install and everything is fine again. Perhaps setting a restore point should be strong suggestion for any Windows users performing this upgrade.

So I will not be in a hurry to upgrade to v5 until there is a really compelling reason to do so or I start seeing more success from other users.

Not a positive upgrade experience at all.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read page one of this thread. I do have Blue Iris 4 installed, but I haven't used it yet or set up any cameras. I don't care about losing any settings or registry entries for Blue Iris 4. I just purchased the extended support option so I could upgrade to Blue Iris 5. Do I still need to follow the page 1 directions in order to get to version 5? Or can I just uninstall version 4, download version 5 and then somehow activate it with my original version 4 key plus my extended support key? In other words, can I do a clean new install of version 5 without using version 4? Thanks.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have the required license keys and have deactivated v4 then I would be inclined to blow the OS away and reinstall W10 then do a clean install of BI5.

This is what i did after reading the issues that others reported with upgrading.

If there are settings that you think you might need then perform the steps to create backups both from within BI and then from within Regedit to e port the BI registry branch. Even though there was nothing I wanted I still did a both types of backups just in case I had overlooked or forgotten something.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I built the computer solely to use for BI. It doesn't really have anything installed other than all the drivers, Acronis True Image and BI4. I'd rather not wipe the OS. If I just uninstall BI4, I'm not certain that the extended support key would activate BI5. Or would my BI4 key activate BI5? I don't really see how my extended support key is linked in anyway to my original BI4 purchase.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I built the computer solely to use for BI. It doesn't really have anything installed other than all the drivers, Acronis True Image and BI4. I'd rather not wipe the OS. If I just uninstall BI4, I'm not certain that the extended support key would activate BI5. Or would my BI4 key activate BI5? I don't really see how my extended support key is linked in anyway to my original BI4 purchase.
You will need your old blue Iris 4 key to activate bi5, what you purchased is an upgrade of your old key to allow it to activate the new software

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I'm reinstalling my OS and want to take my BI version from 4 to 5 -- not really an upgrade as I don't need to transfer any of my configuration -- how do I get a valid key for the 5 install? Is that what comes out of the extended support ($29) process?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If I'm reinstalling my OS and want to take my BI version from 4 to 5 -- not really an upgrade as I don't need to transfer any of my configuration -- how do I get a valid key for the 5 install? Is that what comes out of the extended support ($29) process?

Thanks
You will have to contact support and provide your old key so they can upgrade it to a version 4 key. The 29 option is for a recurring yearly plan. The 35 is the one time payment.