Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

HoosierD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been do looping Step 0. It it time to step out of the loop?

Jaceon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
updated..
Well, I finally had a little time this morning to kill so made the bi5 jump to 5.0.2.4 via an RDP session. As has happened to others, everything went really well and quick until I uninstalled BI4. Randomly after uninstalling I had an image of my mouse pointer in the middle of the screen that wouldn't go away even with a restart lol but anyways, for starters I had to re-enter my license. My database looked like it maybe showed up but nothing else. No cameras or anything. I had made a backup of BI5 before uninstalling BI4 so restored that. All appeared well on the surface.... except for Allocation errors on two of my four drives, and not showing all my alerts. (although some alerts seemed to show up in UI3 still?). Anyways I did a repair DB and I think all is well again except for alerts which it shows today's alerts and then a couple random alerts from early this year that I can't open? That's all the time I had right now.. It's up and running and new clips appear to be happening okay so I'll check things better later. It's hard to know everything is well for sure on a big setup so we'll see =)

Another odd thing I noticed when fixing allocation issues. I tried to navigate to my alerts folder and it's empty. How this can be idk unless it's lying about it's location.. haven't figured that one out yet...

So far all seems well except for things associated with the word "alerts".....

The install felt a little bumpy but didn't go too bad (I don't think...) thanks to these forums. It seems like it would be good if Ken would post something like the first post of this discussion on his website. When you install it definitely makes it sound like it's gonna be a quick 5 minute job and then you'll be on the beach sipping pina coladas with not a care in the world :D which.... I'm not sure has actually happened for too many =) But still a big BI fan and thankful for the invention of google and these internet forums!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I jumped to BI5 this Sunday morning. Initially purchased around end of June so was eligible for v5 upgrade.
I've been hesitant to do such but wanted to give it a shot this morning since I plan on installing VM on this I7-4770 machine along with Home Assistant and Node-Red (eventually, will get them off to their own NUC or such).
I did export my BI4 settings. Did the extra effort of backing up my Blue Iris registry keys.
Removed BI4 as a service. Downloaded BI5. Installed. Seems to be 100% operational. No issues with registration/renew license. All my previous clips are present (currently, all 9 cameras are set to record on motion, not continuous for the time being until familiar with BI settings). UI3 is 100% operational. All 9 cameras and settings carried over. I'll check VPN tomorrow when at work.
I only have 2 TB purple WD drive (gotta look into 4, 6, or 8 later on...my mobo only allows 2 max sadly).
CPU usage has indeed gone down almost 10% from 20's into the teens.
All in all... my installation went flawlessly. Granted, I do not have an extensive Blue Iris setup configuration either.
Also, have not yet removed anything from the BI4 related.

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All in all... my installation went flawlessly. Granted, I do not have an extensive Blue Iris setup configuration either.
Also, have not yet removed anything from the BI4 related.
Word of warning, don't switch back and forth between BI4 and BI5, it will create problems. Uninstalling BI4 will mess up BI5 settings so make sure you back up BI5 settings. I would make a backup using REGEDIT because it works outside of Blue Iris.

REGEDIT /E "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\BlueIris_v5.reg" "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software"

Just double click on the REG file to restore its settings to the registry.

btreinders

n3wb
Reaction score
The issue with "Sync Profiles" is solved?

Not that I can see. Just tried to import my cameras and they are all still sync'd to profile 1 and none of the other profile settings gets imported. This was with version 5.0.2.5. Does anyone know of a fix?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The issue with "Sync Profiles" is solved?

Not that I can see. Just tried to import my cameras and they are all still sync'd to profile 1 and none of the other profile settings gets imported. This was with version 5.0.2.5. Does anyone know of a fix?
Set them backup from scratch.

btreinders

n3wb
Reaction score
Set them backup from scratch.
Yes I could definitely do that but with 10 cameras and each one using all 7 profiles and different alerts and masks per profile that would take a long long time. Not to mention you can't open both versions at the same time so I'd have to screenshot all setups or write everything down somehow.

I tie the cameras into an ISY-994i for motion, and use the ISY-994i to set the profiles. Schedules don't work like I would need them to so I use it this way. Set the home alarm to away and the cameras switch to a profile that texts me if the indoor or backyard cameras sense motion then switch back when the house is disarmed. That is a completely different setup than if I set the home alarm to stay for instance or even stay instant. If someone rings the doorbell then the ISY tells BI to send me a clip of the video of the front door in a text or if the camera is on a certain profile it will text if motion occurs only in one part of the mask. If it is dark based on a dusk sensor then lights come on based on motion from the cameras, etc.. So there would be a ton of work to update them all from scratch. Ken is still working with to solve it so I am hopeful.

skiocink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

The "power" of BI are profiles!!
Loose it all is ridiculous

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I came here to see if I could not have the extended be a 'subscription' where it charges me again in a year... what I found was I should not upgrade if I want it working and don't have time to mess with it... I will just buy a new install and install on a fresh windows install... if you are going to charge annually, the software should not hose itself when you uninstall the previous version..

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I came here to see if I could not have the extended be a 'subscription' where it charges me again in a year... what I found was I should not upgrade if I want it working and don't have time to mess with it... I will just buy a new install and install on a fresh windows install... if you are going to charge annually, the software should not hose itself when you uninstall the previous version..
There is the option to not pay annually on the purchase page. Although, all the work that the author (one man operation) does to this software, the auto renewal annually is worth every nickel. You blow $30 on much less a year.

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the option? no link here:
upload_2019-9-5_12-37-27.png

or here:
upload_2019-9-5_12-38-20.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you are misguided. The software does not "hose itself" when uninstalling 4...there is a bug. If you believe its intentional then you should really look at another vms. There are plenty. You are NOT required to have an annual subscription, you can either purchase a one time upgrade for 35 as clearly explained on the blue iris website or buy the annual subscription and then cancel. Dont be lazy - go to the blue iris website - its right there in black and white, and also mentioned repeatedly in this thread and others discussing upgrades.

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you are misguided. The software does not "hose itself" when uninstalling 4...there is a bug. If you believe its intentional then you should really look at another vms. There are plenty. You are NOT required to have an annual subscription, you can either purchase a one time upgrade for 35 as clearly explained on the blue iris website or buy the annual subscription and then cancel. Dont be lazy - go to the blue iris website - its right there in black and white, and also mentioned repeatedly in this thread and others discussing upgrades.
I did not say they intentionally did it... I said the software hoses itself when uninstalling 4, which does not mean the software authors did it intentionally... but it does hose the BI5 installation, does it not??? You need to sit down and relax...

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am questioning the existence of the $35 offer, can you share a screenshot or a link? I was unable to find it before posting, I was not lazy, and I am still unable to find it...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am questioning the existence of the $35 offer, can you share a screenshot or a link? I was unable to find it before posting, I was not lazy, and I am still unable to find it...
Yes, we are all lying to you. Keep questioning the existence of this magical option or scroll to the bottom of the blue iris website your choice.