Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I upgraded 2 days ago. For those still doing Step 0, it's time to jump.

All profiles were intact and accurate. I have 2 global schedules, 6 profiles, 12 cameras all duplicated so 24 cameras in BI. Very happy with the process.

jjp44343

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just upgraded today. A few steps I went through.

1. Installed, asked if I wanted to run I said ok.
2. Ran fine, told to uninstall v4 so I did.
3. Rebooted to double check everything was fine.
4. BI5 lost all settings, restored from backup to BI5.
5. Rebooted BI5 has all settings now but missing license key.
6. Installed license key and everything is great now!

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Updated today. As others have said, it went very smoothly! I'm happy. Note I did not uninstall BI4 yet.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also made the leap (finally) today September 28 2019. Smooth as silk, although I have yet to uninstall BI4, so we'll see after that. New interface takes some getting used to, and to be honest...it was one of the reasons I was holding off (old dog, new tricks kind of thing). Anyway, I decided I NEEDED to get with the times and bite the bullet. So far, I don't see any perceivable performance difference. But then again, this is my "Test" rig which I am planing to run for a few days before migrating my actual dedicated machine.

Thanks again to all those who braved the early install days! As others have said, if you were waiting for stability and ease of install...no need to wait any longer!

motoolfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Upgrade went smooth as well, Haven't uninstalled v4 yet. If you tell win10 to keep the settings, will it?

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update from my post of yesterday....

After first backing up settings I then uninstalled BI4. Then when I loaded up the new V5, the settings were indeed gone. But it was a simple matter of importing the saved settings to restore all my camera and web settings. One quick note, when I loaded up the saved settings, BI5 exited (without warning). I'm not sure if this is "expected" behavior, but it was a little jarring. But when I loaded it up again, all the saved settings were applied.

So all is well and having fun discovering the new version!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if just deleting the bi4 directory would be considered an uninstall?
Not a "proper" uninstall, but I don't think it would actually be leaving anything important behind. You could then go to the Programs and Features window and try to uninstall BI4. It would fail, and Windows should offer to remove BI4 from the list of installed programs. That would be safe to do.

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For those of you that just made the update to v5, did you use the orig v5.0 file or one of the most recent v5 versions/updates? I have not made the jump yet, waiting to see that all the kinks are ironed out. It looks like a few folks did the switch over the past week and had no problems or minimal problems.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For those of you that just made the update to v5, did you use the orig v5.0 file or one of the most recent v5 versions/updates? I have not made the jump yet, waiting to see that all the kinks are ironed out. It looks like a few folks did the switch over the past week and had no problems or minimal problems.
you must use the full installer not an update, the full installer is updated as well, its not the original version.

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, took the plunge and had a seamless installation, great job and thanks to all the "beta" testers that worked out the bugs for the initial v5 rollout.

One simple question, which is probably a fact that I just have not found it yet, but: in v4 there was a button on the top bar to start or stop recording. I'm not seeing it in v5, yet. I bet i'm just not looking in the correct spot or the feature got renamed, but, that button was a heavy hitter, I could easily stop all recording during the daytime ( get a red light) then start all recordings at the end of the day ( get the green light). Would love to find this icon, but, not quite seeing it, yet.

Update (5 min later): did some more browsing and came across the "shield" button at the top bar. I believe this replaced the "stoplight" button in v4. I think I found what I was looking for. Sorry to waste your bandwidth.

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, took the plunge and had a seamless installation, great job and thanks to all the "beta" testers that worked out the bugs for the initial v5 rollout.

One simple question, which is probably a fact that I just have not found it yet, but: in v4 there was a button on the top bar to start or stop recording. I'm not seeing it in v5, yet. I bet i'm just not looking in the correct spot or the feature got renamed, but, that button was a heavy hitter, I could easily stop all recording during the daytime ( get a red light) then start all recordings at the end of the day ( get the green light). Would love to find this icon, but, not quite seeing it, yet.

Update (5 min later): did some more browsing and came across the "shield" button at the top bar. I believe this replaced the "stoplight" button in v4. I think I found what I was looking for. Sorry to waste your bandwidth.
Thats ok, I have unlimited bandwidth from the eyes to brain :) Glad it all went smooth. You will find there are a lot of different things in BI5 and the help file does a great job explaining them.

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Although the upgrade to v5 went smooth, I am noticing that i am not getting triggers to record. I even manually hit the "trigger" button and nothing happened. I went through the camera settings to adjust trigger settings and still am not getting triggers.

Update (10 min later): this new format is going to take some time to figure out. The non-triggering seemed to be due to the schedule setting, which I don't really use very often. When I set it to default I started getting triggers. However, in the clip view, the triggers would not show up unless I fiddled with the clip view settings. With clip view set to "all" I did not see the triggered clips. With the clip view set to "New" I could see the triggers. Guess I'll have to wade through the clip view settings to figure out how v5 works.

Last edited:

MikeR33

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Completed the upgrade from 4-5 over the weekend, didn't go quite so smoothly as hoped but all now working. My events list for anyone else who goes through this and has similar little troubles:-

1. Disabled the run as service option.
2. Exported settings.
2. Rebooted PC just so it was nice an fresh as been up for over month.
3. Located my full serial number and upgrade codes in case needed later.
4. Installed BI5 from full installer download.
5. Started up BI5 and all looked great.
6. Enabled run as service.
7. Rebooted just for tidyness after install.
8. Uninstalled BI4, selected to leave settings (although expected this to not happen).
9. Rebooted again.
10. Tried to start BI5, it loaded with what appeared to be lost settings as expected but then it just quit.
11. Tried to start again, just splash screen and quit.
12. Rebooted.
13. Tried to start again, it loaded as before but then quite straight away.
14. Reinstalled BI5, tried repair but no good still same issue.
15. Uninstalled BI5, rebooted, reinstalled, same issue.
16. Uninstalled BI5, deleted all the BI registry entries I could find along with the BI folders and the existing captured files.
17. Re-Installed BI5, loaded up, entered original key and all loaded ok, no previous settings obviously at the moment.
18. Imported BI4 exported settings, restarted BI5 and all now ok.

Had a couple of instances where the Android app can't connect for a minute or 2 but that seems to have settled now and all seems to be running smoothly, alerting, schedules, zones, notifications on email\push etc all ok.

BI5 is looking really good to me so far.

Cheers,
Mike

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey everyone....I decided to finally migrate my dedicated BI machine to v5. I had been testing the new version on my desktop for a week or so and everything was looking good...so I thought now was the time.

Unfortunately, this one did NOT go smoothly. I don't really know why because I did the same upgrade process as before!

So after installing V5 and importing saved settings, I am getting only 9 of the 36 cameras on the system. I've checked and rechecked all the individual camera settings (comparing them to my working install on my desktop) and everything is the same. But I keep getting "No Signal" displays on all but 9 of them! I've even tried deleting one and re-adding it, but still get the same issue. I know it's the not the cameras, because it's all working fine on my desktop install.

Any thoughts? Is this related to the old settings somehow? I've read through these threads, but don't see the same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edit: After mashing around in the software, I decided to try changing the "Hardware Accelerated Decode" option (on one of the bad cameras). I changed in from "Nvidia NVDEC" to "Intel" and clicked OK. Boom...the camera came back up. So, proceeded to change the rest of the cameras that weren't working. Some of them were set to "Default" and some were set to "Nvidia", but in each case, changing them to "Intel" made them all come back up again. I will continue to troubleshoot, but for now..at least I have all my cameras back!

Edit2.0: Even more digging, and I noticed that in the "Settings" menu, under the "Cameras" tab, I had the Hardware Accelerated Decode set to "Nvidia NVDEC". I think this was part of the issue, because after changing it to "Intel" and restarting, I was able to set some of the cameras back even IF they are set to use the Nvidia GPU to decode (where before they were just blank). Not sure why, but that is what I've discovered so far

Last edited:

slodat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I haven’t uninstalled BI4. My BI5 is running fine.

I’m not sure I see a reason to uninstall BI4?