Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

phtp

n3wb
Reaction score
I haven’t uninstalled BI4. My BI5 is running fine.

I’m not sure I see a reason to uninstall BI4?
I haven't uninstalled BI4 either. I might uninstall it when BI7 comes out.
Can you still launch BI4 even though you have BI5 installed on top? I've been considering moving to BI5, but worried install won't go smoothly. This way I can still at least fall back onto BI4. Thanks!

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
You can use either one but not both at the same time and if you run BI as a service you have to disable that before you switch to the other version.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@Tuckerdude If I recall, your main system doesn't have Intel hardware acceleration.

So by choosing Intel, you are really choosing no hardware acceleration.

Chances are you just overloaded the Nvidia GPU. Watch its utilization graphs in Task Manager as you add/remove cameras from it for hardware acceleration.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Question for this group - just purchased BI 5. Can I install this on a test machine first before moving to the "production" BI4 machine and run through the upgrade from 4 to 5, or will I run into an issue with the new key installing it the 2nd time?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you activate BI5 on the test machine, it would use up an activation and get you closer to having to email support to get your key reset.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
@bp2008 how many instances of activation do you get before you have to call? Is it just the one time?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris is licensed to run on one PC, and if you activate on more than one, the first one will be deactivated, but there is still an activation limit to help prevent abuse.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Blue Iris is licensed to run on one PC, and if you activate on more than one, the first one will be deactivated, but there is still an activation limit to help prevent abuse.
OK - sounds like I would be safe to try then on a test PC before the real thing. It's either that or wait until I have a decent amount of time to troubleshoot if something goes wrong.

phtp

n3wb
Reaction score
I just migrated to BI5 and the migration was super smooth. I was worried with some of the initial comments but looks like most issues were resolved. Thanks Everyone!

Reaction score
migration from 4 to 5 seems to have gone smoothly, except the PTZ functionality is not working on that particular camera. Am I missing a something in setup that didn't transfer? I've tried disabling and re-enabling..turning settings off and back on.

Annotation 2019-11-01 112521.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
migration from 4 to 5 seems to have gone smoothly, except the PTZ functionality is not working on that particular camera. Am I missing a something in setup that didn't transfer? I've tried disabling and re-enabling..turning settings off and back on.

View attachment 49961
what camera?
try all the dahua options

Albert Einstien

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I haven’t uninstalled BI4. My BI5 is running fine.

I’m not sure I see a reason to uninstall BI4?
I also may just leave BI4 uninstalled. Luckily, I made an image of my BI4 OS before I upgraded, so I can roll it back, which I've done, and did some testing. It's only when I remove BI4 that BI5 gets all mucked up, looses the key, goes into Demo mode, looses cameras. As long as I leave BI4 alone, the BI5 upgrade works fine. And yes, I told Windows do NOT delete the registry entries or the license key during the upgrade. It also won't take the backup that the upgrade makes automatically during the install.

Last edited:

Albert Einstien

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just upgraded today. A few steps I went through.

1. Installed, asked if I wanted to run I said ok.
2. Ran fine, told to uninstall v4 so I did.
3. Rebooted to double check everything was fine.
4. BI5 lost all settings, restored from backup to BI5.
5. Rebooted BI5 has all settings now but missing license key.
6. Installed license key and everything is great now!
BI support said they could help with a remote log-in to my machine. I'm not real crazy about remote log-in software on my machine, so I experimented some more, and got it solved on my own. Here are the steps that solved my problem. I am replying to post #174 here (see above) because it looks very similar, perhaps the same.
1. Installed extended support key to BI4
2. Full install of BI5
3. Ran fine, told to uninstall v4.
4. Rebooted to double check that everything was still fine. It was.
5. Uninstall BI4
6. BI5 lost all settings, went into Demo mode.
8. Restored from BI5 upgrade backup..
8. Settings restored now, but still in Demo mode, missing license key.
7. Installed original BI4 license key and everything is great now.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is there a reason why BI 4 needs to be uninstalled? No one has really mentioned that, and if they have I missed it.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a reason why BI 4 needs to be uninstalled? No one has really mentioned that, and if they have I missed it.
Not really, the main thing is you DO NOT want to run BI4 at anytime after you are running BI5 as they share the same registry location and it MAY screw up something.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
BI4 will not run now that BI5 installed. I actually tried and it gave me a box with some message and then would not start.