Blue iris and CPU consumption as it relates to memory usage

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
reolink software uses different protocols..you can stream from one bi machine to the other...why do you need 3 machines?
you can also use multicast if the camera supports it
What do you mean stream from one BI machine to another, I didn't know, how can I do this? We have different areas, so we want to watch the Camera in different areas, so we have 3 computers so we toss BI on each machine and connect like I do normally and it works but then we saw drops, the "socket error: 10053" - all 3 would go down, once I removed both the other computer never went down again. We use reolink software (total crap) and it works and doesn't' disconnect.

Unsure about the multi-cast.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you mean stream from one BI machine to another, I didn't know, how can I do this? We have different areas, so we want to watch the Camera in different areas, so we have 3 computers so we toss BI on each machine and connect like I do normally and it works but then we saw drops, the "socket error: 10053" - all 3 would go down, once I removed both the other computer never went down again. We use reolink software (total crap) and it works and doesn't' disconnect.

Unsure about the multi-cast.
like i said, reolink software uses different protocols which might not stress the camera as much...
I still dont understand why you need 3 machines running BI? makes no sense...you do understand blue iris has a webserver right?
you can also stream directly from one blue iris instance to another, but in your case you dont need to..just use the webserver - use the NEW UI3 by bp2008...

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
like i said, reolink software uses different protocols which might not stress the camera as much...
I still dont understand why you need 3 machines running BI? makes no sense...you do understand blue iris has a webserver right?
you can also stream directly from one blue iris instance to another, but in your case you dont need to..just use the webserver - use the NEW UI3 by bp2008...
I really had no idea, how do I use the Web Server, then I will look into the bp2008 post more if I don't like the web server. Will there be any lag?

If I download their software I can have remote view on my phone through their app too?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I really had no idea, how do I use the Web Server, then I will look into the bp2008 post more if I don't like the web server. Will there be any lag?

If I download their software I can have remote view on my phone through their app too?
It is explained in The Help file... Use the mobile app on your phone...

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes makes no sense....
It isn't something that is always obvious, I thought I needed BI to connect and view, if I knew about the web server I wouldn't have purchased but oh well.

But the other computers need firewalls, it seems I have to disable them?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It isn't something that is always obvious, I thought I needed BI to connect and view, if I knew about the web server I wouldn't have purchased but oh well.

no need to disable anything.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no need to disable anything.
My fault, I read something incorrectly in this thread:
Web Server Set Up

I will try to get this done, now this will prevent the dropping? I will report back after I do some more research, it would be nice to have this on the phone. What VPN app for the phone is better now, I have saw another thread where a popular VPN app was collecting your info.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Reading the help file in BI would have given you many clues. When all else fails, read the instructions. ;)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My fault, I read something incorrectly in this thread:
Web Server Set Up

I will try to get this done, now this will prevent the dropping? I will report back after I do some more research, it would be nice to have this on the phone. What VPN app for the phone is better now, I have saw another thread where a popular VPN app was collecting your info.
VPN Primer for Noobs

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just to add a note to this older thread, my cpu was running 50%+ and spiking to 100% when remoting in with UI3. Made a few tweaks to BI with little change. Noticed memory was 75-80%. Bumped the 8gb to 16 and it dropped cpu to around 30%. With UI3 it still jumps to 70% (even on local machine). Not sure why, but will keep investigating.

Any help on the UI3 cpu spike would be welcome!

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Recently, when reviewing recorded video, CPU usage for BI climbs to ~90+%, and will stay there, even after I've stopped watching recorded video, and gone back to live viewing. To be more specific, I'm reviewing ALL 8 cameras, using the "timeline playback" feature, simultaneously.

Config is:

HP ProDesk G1 i5-4590 @ 3.30GHz, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD OS drive, 4TB WD Purple for storage, Win10x64.
BI version 4.6.6.1 (it just updated today, but this has been happening for several weeks/on different versions).
8 cameras (7 Trendnet POE, 1 Amcrest WiFi).
All cameras are configured the same - continuous recording, with motion detection, BI video format, direct to disk, receive buffer is set @ 30MB. Video is set for 8 hours/4GB files, overlay for date/time enabled, but since there's no encoding, as I recall, that shouldn't matter.

Once CPU usage climbs to ~90+%, it will NOT return to normal (in my setup, that's ~35%) unless I close BI, then stop/restart the BI service.

More than likely, I don't have something configured correctly, but curious to know if anyone is seeing the same issue.
Were you ever able to get this corrected? Same issue with basically your same system except I hit 100% on playback with 4 2mp cameras and it returns to 30% immediately after stopping playback.

Reaction score
@cam26 - the behavior has changed. Currently running BI v4.8.5.0. Still have 8 cameras, although one is now a PTZ with audio (previous config was all fixed cams, no audio). CPU usage stays relatively consistent @ ~45%, MEM @ ~2GB.

If I use the timeline playback to view ALL 8 cameras simultaneously, CPU goes from the norm of ~45% to ~95-100% almost immediately, and will stay there the entire time I'm watching recorded video, using the fast forward buttons to speed up, and/or the reverse button to slow it back down.

When I hit PAUSE, within a few seconds, CPU usage drops to ~50-60%. Then, when I hit ESC to go back to live view/recording, it goes back to it's previous "norm" of ~45%.

From my perspective, I can understand it going to high CPU usage when playing back all the cameras. I'm pleased that now it releases CPU usage properly, whereas it didn't before. I'm unsure when the "fix" occurred, however.

HTHs.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@cam26 - the behavior has changed. Currently running BI v4.8.5.0. Still have 8 cameras, although one is now a PTZ with audio (previous config was all fixed cams, no audio). CPU usage stays relatively consistent @ ~45%, MEM @ ~2GB.

If I use the timeline playback to view ALL 8 cameras simultaneously, CPU goes from the norm of ~45% to ~95-100% almost immediately, and will stay there the entire time I'm watching recorded video, using the fast forward buttons to speed up, and/or the reverse button to slow it back down.

When I hit PAUSE, within a few seconds, CPU usage drops to ~50-60%. Then, when I hit ESC to go back to live view/recording, it goes back to it's previous "norm" of ~45%.

From my perspective, I can understand it going to high CPU usage when playing back all the cameras. I'm pleased that now it releases CPU usage properly, whereas it didn't before. I'm unsure when the "fix" occurred, however.

HTHs.
I gotcha, that's exactly what I'm experiencing. Thank you for the update!

JK200SX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm still new to BI and last night I followed the optimisation steps to try and reduce cpu load.

The system I'm using is an i5-6600, 16GB ram, WD purple for storage and a 256GB NVME drive for the system. I've currently only got 3 cameras and they are on motion record. I also have a power meeting plugged into the power point that the lead for the pc is plugged into (eg a Kil-a-watt in the US....or the meter supplied at Jaycar in Aus).

With my initial setup I had a cpu load at approx 30%, and the power draw from the wall was sitting at 28-30watts. After the optimisation, the cpu load dropped to approx 22%, however the power consumption of the pc rose to approx 38 watts.

I was hoping to reduce the power consumption due to the optimisation, but that wasn't the case. And, as I did the optimisation steps all together, and then rebooted the system, I'm not to sure which of the improvements lead to the higher power consumption.

Has anyone else looked at the power consumption of their rig and what could be done to reduce the power usage, rather than just cpu load?

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the same problem. CPU usage goes up to 99%. I exit Blue Iris and start it back up and the CPU usage is back around 40%. I have a Dell XPS 8700, i7-4770 CPU and 16 GB ram

ccaru

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have read through all these posts and it seems like not many are resolving their CPU issues?
After having run BI Successfully for a number of months with around 30% CPU usage, suddenly I am experiencing this gradual work-up to 100% CPU usage.
I blamed it on the H/W, so I tried to move the setup to a newly installed, faster machine, and the exact same issue happens.
I have found that:
  • If I load BI as a service and "don't play with it" - i.e. just look at some live footage off the mobile app, the 100% limit is reached after a few hours
  • If I load the BI interface directly on the machine, and also leave it to it's own devices - it's substantially sooner but still takes some time
  • If I play some clips, use PTZ, or even just maximize a single camera - the chances are it goes up to 100% instantly and never recovers.

The only thing that seems to bring the CPU back down is to restart the machine.

I am now testing it running natively (not as a service), and disabling each camera one by one to see whether a particular camera is the culprit, but still, it's very strange that this is happening now as i have not changed my setup for a while now..

Yesterday I also "downgraded" to 5.3.0.3 as it's marked as the most recent stable update, but so far this has not seemed to change anything.

Another very strange behavior : Even though now I am not running BI as a service, it still takes a complete restart to bring the CPU levels back down to below 30%.

Any ideas anyone?

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have read through all these posts and it seems like not many are resolving their CPU issues?
After having run BI Successfully for a number of months with around 30% CPU usage, suddenly I am experiencing this gradual work-up to 100% CPU usage.
I blamed it on the H/W, so I tried to move the setup to a newly installed, faster machine, and the exact same issue happens.
I have found that:
  • If I load BI as a service and "don't play with it" - i.e. just look at some live footage off the mobile app, the 100% limit is reached after a few hours
  • If I load the BI interface directly on the machine, and also leave it to it's own devices - it's substantially sooner but still takes some time
  • If I play some clips, use PTZ, or even just maximize a single camera - the chances are it goes up to 100% instantly and never recovers.

The only thing that seems to bring the CPU back down is to restart the machine.

I am now testing it running natively (not as a service), and disabling each camera one by one to see whether a particular camera is the culprit, but still, it's very strange that this is happening now as i have not changed my setup for a while now..

Yesterday I also "downgraded" to 5.3.0.3 as it's marked as the most recent stable update, but so far this has not seemed to change anything.

Another very strange behavior : Even though now I am not running BI as a service, it still takes a complete restart to bring the CPU levels back down to below 30%.

Any ideas anyone?
Memory creeping up-BI

ccaru

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I may have resolved the issue...
There was a single camera with a different Frame Rate (30). In the (actual, not Blue Iris) Camera settings I changed this to 15 like the rest, and everything came back to normal.
I don't think that the issue was native to the frame rate itself, but rather, the fact that there was a difference in frame rate between one and the other cameras.