Blue Iris Annual Fee?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Not easier, but also not immediately harder because I've been maintaining compatibility with Blue Iris 3.66 for the past year and backwards compatibility with most of 4.x comes along with that. The difficulty comes with time, as more and more people get stuck on an ever-increasing number of old Blue Iris versions. You of all people should appreciate how many little and not so little problems this could cause. Even if I went to the effort of saving a list of "trusted versions" (which I am not going to do), only a handful would pay attention to that and it would be no guarantee of compatibility.
What if you cooridinated with BI developer, basically together you would be able to define a stable version which BI would also bless as stable. And that is the version you build your tool off of. Because of my limited experience (2 basic systems) I admit I don't comprehend the big picture you are faced with. Though I have wondered if there is such a thing a stable BI version that is uniformily stable for every PC/Camera combinations.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
except for BP, I don't understand the complaining, you get 3 months to find something stable. I am wondering if the apple push notifications will need yearly updates though???

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What if you cooridinated with BI developer, basically together you would be able to define a stable version which BI would also bless as stable. And that is the version you build your tool off of. Because of my limited experience (2 basic systems) I admit I don't comprehend the big picture you are faced with. Though I have wondered if there is such a thing a stable BI version that is uniformly stable for every PC/Camera combinations.
I don't think that level of coordination is going to happen. As you say, there may not even be such a thing as a BI version that is uniformly stable for every PC and camera combination! Even if there was coordination between us, the users would have goodness knows what installed and it probably wouldn't be the right one.

kboxvegas

n3wb
Reaction score
except for BP, I don't understand the complaining, you get 3 months to find something stable. I am wondering if the apple push notifications will need yearly updates though???
For me, it is because you are changing the rules in the middle of the game. Imagine if MS started charging retail Office users for minor updates and service packs while giving O365 users them for free. Major revisions, ok the subscription model works here but not for minor updates.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For me, it is because you are changing the rules in the middle of the game. Imagine if MS started charging retail Office users for minor updates and service packs while giving O365 users them for free. Major revisions, ok the subscription model works here but not for minor updates.
Perpetual updates with new features added was never promised. It was something everyone just took for granted. So the rules are not changing, he is just finally charging for his hard work. He could easily wait for version 5 before adding any new features and not charge anything or alternatively could have simply released version 5 before the hardware acceleration.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Perpetual updates with new features added was never promised. It was something everyone just took for granted. So the rules are not changing, he is just finally charging for his hard work. He could easily wait for version 5 before adding any new features and not charge anything or alternatively could have simply released version 5 before the hardware acceleration.
Things are changing, you probably have at least 50 posts bragging about how there is no annual fee. So be careful with your spin, it might not spin well. For me its no problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Things are changing, you probably have at least 50 posts bragging about how there is no annual fee. So be careful with your spin, it might not spin well. For me its no problem.
Blue iris still has no annual fee. Not sure where you are getting your info from. He will eventually implement a fee for updates after the first year, that is completely optional. Be careful how you spin... Now order the nvr already.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Blue iris still has no annual fee. Not sure where you are getting your info from. He will eventually implement a fee for updates after the first year, that is completely optional. Be careful how you spin... Now order the nvr already.
ok lets see you have probably over 100 posts which indicate BI is cheap, many updates and no annual costs. Now there are many people who visit this forum and they know what you preach so amuse us.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok lets see you have probably over 100 posts which indicate BI is cheap, many updates and no annual costs. Now there are many people who visit this forum and they know what you preach so amuse us.
All those things are still true.. So i guess this is post 101. You are misinformed or simple dont understand the meaning of annual cost.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have found less expensive CMS software that does what BlueIris does?

I need to know, I'm not loyal to BlueIris. Give me alternatives? I need 21 days retention on 9 3mp cameras...

I spent $1500.00 on hardware and cameras because, frankly NVR's SUCK... After the first year you never get another update so that new fancy camera you want to add doesn't work with that 1 year old NVR...

Things do change, change sometimes is good. Blue Iris costs money to develop and it costs money for the author to live. Shareware went away in the 90's, but you're to young to remember that... Free software is easy to find... I recommend https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/visual-studio-homepage-vs.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
You have found less expensive CMS software that does what BlueIris does?

I need to know, I'm not loyal to BlueIris. Give me alternatives? I need 21 days retention on 9 3mp cameras...

I spent $1500.00 on hardware and cameras because, frankly NVR's SUCK... After the first year you never get another update so that new fancy camera you want to add doesn't work with that 1 year old NVR...

Things do change, change sometimes is good. Blue Iris costs money to develop and it costs money for the author to live. Shareware went away in the 90's, but you're to young to remember that... Free software is easy to find... I recommend https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/visual-studio-homepage-vs.aspx
You guys have an audience, its kind of stupid keep trying to spin an extra expense. Cut the spin, the added cost may offend folks, I'm sure its not going to break their bank.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys have an audience, its kind of stupid keep trying to spin an extra expense. Cut the spin, the added cost may offend folks, I'm sure its not going to break their bank.
There no extra cost, you are misleading folks. ITS OPTIONAL. You dont understand that word, just like with the OPTIONAL updates that you believed were mandatory, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=optional

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Fenderman,

Don't try to spin it, there are extra cost for many folks who want to continue to use BI the way they have for several years. So they are told.
1) Use BI differently, basically don't update over the next year and there is no extra cost.
2) Continue to use BI the way you've done prior when you update , and there is extra costs.

Basically stop saying BI never promised this never promised that. When taxes go up they were never promised also, no matter how small.

We all remember how you bragged about BI vs others, don't make this political, just move on it is what it is.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not a BI user - looked at the trial and it looks solid, but an NVR fits my personal needs. However all this back and forth is comical.

You don't like it - don't cry like a 5 year old on the playground. GO BUY SOMETHING ELSE!
Thats what's wonderful about a free market place - you get to make your own decisions - again, unhappy, give someone else your business!

This OP has turned into a freaking Presidential Campaign Forum of mud slinging and word twisting. Blue Iris is NOT a .org and its NOT a non-profit. Based on this forum alone and the "i emailed BI developer and asked" posts I see my guess is he should have charged for support or updated the software price to $99 a LONG time ago, but thats just my opinion.

Finally, if BI is as great as all its users say - then you should have NO problem spending a little more to support such a wonderful software package. You get what you pay for, and from the sounds of it you all have been skating by for way to long.

Just my 2 cents but remember - free marketplace - if you're that unhappy take your business elsewhere.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There no extra cost, you are misleading folks. ITS OPTIONAL. You dont understand that word, just like with the OPTIONAL updates that you believed were mandatory, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=optional
I just purchased BI last last week and did not know about the new policy. I have to agree with Marty0, anything that is optional means you are missing out on the FULL package. I thought I bought the FULL package.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just purchased BI last last week and did not know about the new policy. I have to agree with Marty0, anything that is optional means you are missing out on the FULL package. I thought I bought the FULL package.
Why do you think FULL means lifetime or muti year support? It simply means it supports more than 1 camera as opposed to the LE version.
As i pointed out other vms 50-150 PER camera and only provide 90 days to 1 year of free support. Many other FULL software packages charge way more for support. You did buy the full package and you got the full package.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a BI user - looked at the trial and it looks solid, but an NVR fits my personal needs. However all this back and forth is comical.

You don't like it - don't cry like a 5 year old on the playground. GO BUY SOMETHING ELSE!
Thats what's wonderful about a free market place - you get to make your own decisions - again, unhappy, give someone else your business!

This OP has turned into a freaking Presidential Campaign Forum of mud slinging and word twisting. Blue Iris is NOT a .org and its NOT a non-profit. Based on this forum alone and the "i emailed BI developer and asked" posts I see my guess is he should have charged for support or updated the software price to $99 a LONG time ago, but thats just my opinion.

Finally, if BI is as great as all its users say - then you should have NO problem spending a little more to support such a wonderful software package. You get what you pay for, and from the sounds of it you all have been skating by for way to long.

Just my 2 cents but remember - free marketplace - if you're that unhappy take your business elsewhere.
They cant take their business elsewhere because every other option is either much more expensive or inadequate so they bitch and moan because they feel like they are entitled.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman,

Don't try to spin it, there are extra cost for many folks who want to continue to use BI the way they have for several years. So they are told.
1) Use BI differently, basically don't update over the next year and there is no extra cost.
2) Continue to use BI the way you've done prior when you update , and there is extra costs.

Basically stop saying BI never promised this never promised that. When taxes go up they were never promised also, no matter how small.

We all remember how you bragged about BI vs others, don't make this political, just move on it is what it is.
You again are misleading. There is no extra cost. He could stop development today and doesnt owe anyone anything. You can continue to use blue iris just the SAME as before. NOTHING has changed in that respect. Your tax analogy makes no sense.
I still brag about blue iris over others because its awesome. Political? not sure if you need to google that either. You were challenged by another member to point to another VMS as an alternative. You have not been able to do so. So just buy a hikvision nvr and let us know how that works out for you. Stop making false statements about blue iris.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@fenderman: He obviously doesn't have a better alternative, so... You gotta know that MartyO is just trolling you, right? From what I can see, it seems to be his life's objective at the moment... :p

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman: He obviously doesn't have a better alternative, so... You gotta know that MartyO is just trolling you, right? From what I can see, it seems to be his life's objective at the moment... :p
I am quite aware.