Blue Iris Annual Fee?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
That's an accurate description of your naivete and lack of technical expertise. Stop believing everything you read on the internet. You need to understand the context. You dont. Those stories pray on the inexperienced such are yourself, that is how they generate ad revenue.
I just ask people to read the thread and link, and your remarks, let them judge the results. The first link came from the University of Cambridge, I think Alan Turing went there.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just ask people to read the thread and link, and your remarks, let them judge the results. The first link came from the University of Cambridge, I think Alan Turing went there.
You are just further highlighting your naivete. You are the perfect sap for those articles.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
how was you calculus Fenderman? Hope this doesn't hit to hard.

Reaction score
As an outsider looking to buy the Blue Iris software...Its functionality looks great and the price is amazing. So when I get my cameras, I will buy Blue Iris.
However it would be nice if they explained the licensing, support and upgrade pricing model somewhere prior to my purchase, as at the moment I'm totally confused...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an outsider looking to buy the Blue Iris software...Its functionality looks great and the price is amazing. So when I get my cameras, I will buy Blue Iris.
However it would be nice if they explained the licensing, support and upgrade pricing model somewhere prior to my purchase, as at the moment I'm totally confused...
Welcome to the forum. The initial software licensee will get you one year of updates and support. After that blue iris will run just the same but you wont get updates. If you want updates and support its 30 dollars a year and that includes a free update to version 5 if its released while you are on the support plan. For 60 dollars a year you can get priority support (special inbox) + teamviewer remote access support.

d0gar00

n3wb
Reaction score
Had I known that this was going to be the case, I would have waited a few months to when I was to install my cameras to buy my license instead of buying it 6 months early >.>

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm just embarrassed from an IT perspective -- I Installed BI for a number of clients needing smaller setups (10-20 cams) and once their phones either auto-updated apps or they did it on their own [Assume people will ALWAYS update their apps], they lost functionality because the server was still on 3.6 (nothing wrong with 3.6!)

I'm sure it was brought up here a number of times in this forum and I'm sure you're all quite sick of hearing it, but just like that super bowl picture of Beyonce, it has to be consistently brought up per a matter of clear conscious that you can't simply hide poor ethics. People will remember. How hard would it have been to simply notify app users that the next update would do that? ...

"Ken works hard, ken has a family, ken this ken that" .... Okay I get it -- he has a life, but so do all of us. And pissing off thousands of people in the middle of the night makes my blood pressure rise, too. They're not going to Ken. They're going to the installer. Ken: Quit that day job of yours in Michigan or (and more ideally) create a dedicated team with low overhead if not already done so to prevent the need to silently kill thousands of 3.6 licenses overnight. Plan this out with a team of people other than your wife and dog to offer legal and liability council.

"Oh, I'm sorry you feel I scammed you." Thankfully I haven't had to say those exact words yet. I went out of my way to proactively warn as many clients as possible as soon as I found out. Still was a few weeks late to the party though and the damage was done. At least five of them this month told my techs they weren't interested and just left the app broken. Great. That's my business advice running around the metro with a half working app. Can't blame business owners for not wanting to fork over extra dollars here and there just to perpetually annoy them. I'm not golfing with these guys every Sunday -- If a tech shows up or dials in to a non-managed account to make a change, they consider something broken. If they then get an e-mail saying, "yeah we need another few bucks or your app will stop working. We didn't know that until just now." is embarrassing.

Lastly, "Do you know how much MORE other software companies charge???" is insanely irrelevant. I'd be panhandling on the corner of the street if I used that in any service discussion. No one wants to hear it, and they tune out even more once you go down that road. There's a reason they already explored your product. Now you have to stand behind your product.

*sighs*

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just embarrassed from an IT perspective -- I Installed BI for a number of clients needing smaller setups (10-20 cams) and once their phones either auto-updated apps or they did it on their own [Assume people will ALWAYS update their apps], they lost functionality because the server was still on 3.6 (nothing wrong with 3.6!)

I'm sure it was brought up here a number of times in this forum and I'm sure you're all quite sick of hearing it, but just like that super bowl picture of Beyonce, it has to be consistently brought up per a matter of clear conscious that you can't simply hide poor ethics. People will remember. How hard would it have been to simply notify app users that the next update would do that? ...

"Ken works hard, ken has a family, ken this ken that" .... Okay I get it -- he has a life, but so do all of us. And pissing off thousands of people in the middle of the night makes my blood pressure rise, too. They're not going to Ken. They're going to the installer. Ken: Quit that day job of yours in Michigan or (and more ideally) create a dedicated team with low overhead if not already done so to prevent the need to silently kill thousands of 3.6 licenses overnight. Plan this out with a team of people other than your wife and dog to offer legal and liability council.

"Oh, I'm sorry you feel I scammed you." Thankfully I haven't had to say those exact words yet. I went out of my way to proactively warn as many clients as possible as soon as I found out. Still was a few weeks late to the party though and the damage was done. At least five of them this month told my techs they weren't interested and just left the app broken. Great. That's my business advice running around the metro with a half working app. Can't blame business owners for not wanting to fork over extra dollars here and there just to perpetually annoy them. I'm not golfing with these guys every Sunday -- If a tech shows up or dials in to a non-managed account to make a change, they consider something broken. If they then get an e-mail saying, "yeah we need another few bucks or your app will stop working. We didn't know that until just now." is embarrassing.

Lastly, "Do you know how much MORE other software companies charge???" is insanely irrelevant. I'd be panhandling on the corner of the street if I used that in any service discussion. No one wants to hear it, and they tune out even more once you go down that road. There's a reason they already explored your product. Now you have to stand behind your product.

*sighs*
If your customers are complaining about 30 dollars after anywhere for 1-4 years of use (likely most are 2-3) then they are being unreasonable. Ken doesnt need to quit his day job because this model keeps the price of blue iris so freaking low. If he quit his job he would have to charge way more for blue iris.
No one is going to remember anything. They are going nowhere because the price is INSANELY low. The users here and on google play who complain and swear they will move to another product are simply lying. Its not gonna happen. If they are too cheap to spend 30 dollars they sure as hell are not going to spend hundreds.
The app still works, you can review video just fine. You just need to view via the calendar instead of alerts. That is why some customers didnt care.
Ken NEVER promised lifetime support for the product. There is nothing unethical about what ken did. There is end of life for every piece of software.
I dont see the problem with an email saying that the SOFTWARE DEVELOPER has ended support for version 3 and is charging a mere 30 dollars for the new one. It will include ton of new features including hardware acceleration which will reduce energy consumption (that will likely cover most of the cost over 3 years if not make a profit for most systems).

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If your customers are complaining about 30 dollars after anywhere for 1-4 years of use (likely most are 2-3) then they are being unreasonable. Ken doesnt need to quit his day job because this model keeps the price of blue iris so freaking low. If he quit his job he would have to charge way more for blue iris.
No one is going to remember anything. They are going nowhere because the price is INSANELY low. The users here and on google play who complain and swear they will move to another product are simply lying. Its not gonna happen. If they are too cheap to spend 30 dollars they sure as hell are not going to spend hundreds.
The app still works, you can review video just fine. You just need to view via the calendar instead of alerts. That is why some customers didnt care.
Ken NEVER promised lifetime support for the product. There is nothing unethical about what ken did. There is end of life for every piece of software.
I dont see the problem with an email saying that the SOFTWARE DEVELOPER has ended support for version 3 and is charging a mere 30 dollars for the new one. It will include ton of new features including hardware acceleration which will reduce energy consumption (that will likely cover most of the cost over 3 years if not make a profit for most systems).
Frugality was not the issue as I mentioned. My clients are not unreasonable. They are skeptical over any pop-up maintenance as any business owner should be. Should never blame them for this concern and frustration.

Microsoft Office 2007 [for example] was never guaranteed lifetime support but that didn't mean certain features stopped working after 2010 was released. The expectation vs reality vs logic here when like a quarter of the world's mfg machines were running XP up until two years ago... yada yada. You know the drill...

Again, no one is too cheap to afford 30 dollars... was never about that.

And explaining that a software developer was root cause is not going to help. You take ownership of the solutions you provide. They're not paying $145/hr for my tech to say, "Well Comcast is at fault...soooo.....". They want solutions and for my techs to work with Comcast or vendors until fixed -- that or find a new solution. No one (aside from us) really cares about the software developer. And they shouldn't. I mentioned that in my first post but again... lost. It's okay.

My comments never expressed interest in new features and it's not the time/place to say something like, "Well the new one lets you do THIS". Obviously that's something inherit with new software..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Frugality was not the issue as I mentioned. My clients are not unreasonable. They are skeptical over any pop-up maintenance as any business owner should be. Should never blame them for this concern and frustration.

Microsoft Office 2007 [for example] was never guaranteed lifetime support but that didn't mean certain features stopped working after 2010 was released. The expectation vs reality vs logic here when like a quarter of the world's mfg machines were running XP up until two years ago... yada yada. You know the drill...

Again, no one is too cheap to afford 30 dollars... was never about that.

And explaining that a software developer was root cause is not going to help. You take ownership of the solutions you provide. They're not paying $145/hr for my tech to say, "Well Comcast is at fault...soooo.....". They want solutions and for my techs to work with Comcast or vendors until fixed -- that or find a new solution. No one (aside from us) really cares about the software developer. And they shouldn't. I mentioned that in my first post but again... lost. It's okay.

My comments never expressed interest in new features and it's not the time/place to say something like, "Well the new one lets you do THIS". Obviously that's something inherit with new software..
Your clients are being cheap. Its 30 dollars. No reasonable person is "skeptical" about 30 dollars after 2-4 years of use. If your clients dont trust you then you have bigger fish to fry. All you need to do is show them the play store note about needing BI4. You say they dont care about the developer but that is ridiculous. When XP stopped receiving updates, techs all over the word explained to their customers that MS is no longer supporting XP. Any normal person understands that.
Now, you may be charging them tech time to install v4 but that is your problem because you made assumptions about lifetime support.
Office did not have a mobile app that now would require extra work to keep running. Regardless, dont understand the problem here. Did you promise them lifetime support? Do you have a service contact?
You make is sound like there is no solution. You do have to take ownership if you promised lifetime support which was never promised to you by the developer, otherwise why is this your problem. Again its 30 dollars, so if this is a client your profit from considerably then you can eat the cost of your own mistake. If you dont have something guaranteed in writing and made an incorrect assumption that is your problem.
What would you do if a camera or NVR failed after the warranty had expired? What would you do if the NVR/camera manufacture stopped issuing firmware updates and there was new vulnerability out there (assuming you are not using vpn etc). Do the same thing here. You likely made the sale and got the contract because blue iris is so cheap. If you want software that caters to installers look at milestone, exacq avigilon, the rest of us are perfectly happy with blue iris's price point and would rather see a low price than have the developer support legacy versions.
I also dont believe the app was purposely broken. If he wanted to do that he could disable the entire app not simply the alert playback. Everything works even the clip review, you just need to use the calendar.

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You're missing the mark every time on this. That's okay. I'm done.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You're missing the mark every time on this. That's okay. I'm done.
You keep saying that without reading my response. YOU missed the mark when you made false promises to your cheap clients. You made an error and your clients are completely unreasonable. Makes no sense to me. You and your clients will keep using blue iris because its the best value out there, end of story. Just a bunch of cheapskate moochers trying to get lifetime support and updates for free.
Every one of these posts complaining about this annual fee or the alert issue on the app is a cheap end user who cannot part with 30 dollar and does not understand the VALUE that he/she has received here. They cloak this inherent cheapness with nonsense like "my client is skeptical" BULL. It called being unreasonably CHEAP.
Enough is enough.

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did the XP Calculator or Command Prompt stop working because Vista came out?

Has nothing to do with updates. Should I get a tattoo of that on my forehead?