Blue Iris Annual Fee?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Some serious tunnel vision here. I suspect it's likely because you guys have been thwarting off guys like me for the better part of two months now. I'm a broken record and that's all there is to it. Sorry, delicate Ken and pals.

--The Moocher
Tunnel vision affects those fools who want something for free for life and feel "cheated" because they need to spend 30 dollars after 4 years. We are here to call you out on your bull. Enough is enough. Sorry delicate cheap moocher. Go buy another vms package at 20 times the cost. You are so freaking ungrateful its shameful. You should be thanking ken every day that he makes this alternative available or you would be screwed.

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wondering if this may help people who are not able to run the BI Mobile app with BI v3.xx.

Android:

If you have an Android device that has the older Mobile app installed that still works with BI v3.xx, you should be able to backup the installation package for that app using something like AppMonster Pro and then transfer it to another Android device and install it. I have done this in the past when I forgot to turn off auto updating for other apps. As long as the other Android's device has purchased the BI Mobile app it won't violate licensing and will use the existing Google account. Just remember to turn off auto updating and enable "Unknown Sources" in your Android device's Settings -> Security.

How to Re-install Older Version of Apps on the iPhone & iPad

http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-re-install-older-version-of-apps-on-iphone-ipad/

It seems that Apple now lets you install older versions of apps when the new version is not compatible with your iOS device. This kicks in automatically (wherever the older version of the app is still available in the App Store).

One of the harshest things that can happen to any iPhone and iPad user is an app stops working correctly after being updated. And it happens a lot of times with a lot of apps.

Naturally, the first reaction – if you are new to iOS – is to look for going back to the older version. Turns out Apple doesn’t normally let you do it. At least, not easily. But like everything, there is a solution.

Installing the previous version of an app is actually pretty easy although it’s hidden beneath a veil of backups and drag-n-drops. In this quick tutorial, I’ll take you through the process.

For this method to work, you should have a previous backup on iTunes (not iCloud). If you do not possess a backup, you can try asking your friends if they have an older backup which also contains the app.

The method works because when you backup your iPhone or iPad, all the apps get backed up in their then-current version. Which means they’ll be the previous versions of the app you just updated.

So let’s get started with how to re-install previous version of apps on the iPhone & iPad.

•Open iTunes
•Connect your iPhone and stop any syncing process that fires automatically.
•Now, delete the buggy app from your iPhone.
•In iTunes, click on the “Apps” link from the sidebar. This shows the apps that are available in the last backup. (or basically, all apps that you installed and synced).
•Find the app whose older version you want to install and drag-n-drop it on the iPhone section in the sidebar. (The device section).
•Now, all you do is simply Sync your iPhone with iTunes.

What if I don’t have a backup?

You can ask any of your friends who *might* have a backup of the app in its older version. Obviously, you cannot sync your iPhone/iPad on their computer so you can simply copy the app. To do this (on your friend’s computer):

•Click on “Apps” section in iTunes
•Find the app and right-click → Show in Windows Explorer
•You’ll find the .ipa file. Copy this to your system.
•Once done, you just have to drag-n-drop this .ipa file on your device in iTunes.

That’s it. You should have the previous version of the app now.

James DiBernardo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Considering the alternatives that are out there and as feature rich, plus you're supporting a dev that is active.

30 bucks for support, it's really not THAT bad...

How fast can you spend 30 bucks on beer?

<<cue Sarah Mclachlan - Angel>>
"...for just 8 cents a day, you too can support a dev who changed their business model... call now..."

Last edited by a moderator:

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So i noticed my system is telling me there is an update available, if I download it will I be charged for it? I have only had bi for about two months. Thanks it seems some posts say it is free and others say there is a charge

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So i noticed my system is telling me there is an update available, if I download it will I be charged for it? I have only had bi for about two months. Thanks it seems some posts say it is free and others say there is a charge
You will not be charged. You are misreading the posts.

jennajon

n3wb
Reaction score
Version 4.2.90 update to paid version 4 with support ended at 12/31/15 will not update. Update fails after updating 2 of 3 files. Looks like paid support is the only way for me?

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Try closing BI and then run update again. Mine still updates fine and my support has expired.

jennajon

n3wb
Reaction score
have done so....and cold reboot machine. Nothing works. NOTHING has changed since last update, but can i d/l current version at website and install from there?

jennajon

n3wb
Reaction score
Issue solved. Update downloaded from website--had to be installed from cold reboot. First time in all the years i have owned this program
that had to be done.

Thanks for help and listening to rant.

Pcmarius

n3wb
Reaction score
Just informative, in Canada we have a free voip phone company. You pay 50$ one time to unlock the number ( for life) .
And after that if you have any problem ONLY 1 intervention /support via teamviever it cost 50$+tax. Just to change a dns server name or a local address( ip conflict).

2 months ago I rented a new car (worthing 30.000$ ) and some moron scratched it by purpose thinking it’s mine.
So If I had a surveillance camera system before........

So do the math if blue iris it’s expensive...... not to mention how expensive is Synology licence.

I just bought a Dahua starlight and now I prepare a pc for blue iris.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Possibly a silly question or two here, but would rather ask than not so I'm aware as I've somewhat recently jumped on BI and intend to use it for the foreseeable future... I believe most of this was sort-of addressed throughout the thread but given some of the initial confusion as I read the backlog I wanted to double check to be safe.

What happens if I manage to "miss" the mark on when my initial 1 year support would end and I don't realize it until month 13? Would that be a simple "why yes I'd like 1 year of extended support for 30 dollars please" or would it require a new license @ 60 altogether due to missing the boat when I was still under the support umbrella? (some software costs less if you renew within the window and treat you as a new purchase if you renew out of the window) What would happen once the support for the year ends? Would simply nothing happen besides the new inability to install minor updates until a support plan is ordered? Or would there be something more detrimental that would warrant keeping close tabs on it so it doesn't get to that point?

Thanks all. Just trying to make sure I understand.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly a silly question or two here, but would rather ask than not so I'm aware as I've somewhat recently jumped on BI and intend to use it for the foreseeable future... I believe most of this was sort-of addressed throughout the thread but given some of the initial confusion as I read the backlog I wanted to double check to be safe.

What happens if I manage to "miss" the mark on when my initial 1 year support would end and I don't realize it until month 13? Would that be a simple "why yes I'd like 1 year of extended support for 30 dollars please" or would it require a new license @ 60 altogether due to missing the boat when I was still under the support umbrella? (some software costs less if you renew within the window and treat you as a new purchase if you renew out of the window) What would happen once the support for the year ends? Would simply nothing happen besides the new inability to install minor updates until a support plan is ordered? Or would there be something more detrimental that would warrant keeping close tabs on it so it doesn't get to that point?

Thanks all. Just trying to make sure I understand.
You would just pay the support plan and I believe it would start from the day you paid, but you would need to confirm that with support.
To clarify, minor updates are still free if downloaded from the website. You can keep running the software without any updates.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have to address an post made earlier by Kris82 aka edrikk.
His post was a complete fabrication and lie.
It is unfortunate that Kris82 aka(post deleted and banned)
First, he alleged that martyO edrikk and gmaster1 were banned because they had an issue with the security patches not being free. Problem is, Gmaster1 was never banned hand has posted on this forum as late as November 2018. Yet his post in THIS thread were from January 2016 two years EARLIER. He was the most vocal about it, so the logic does not hold.
Second, he alleged that I altered with marty0's links and that is why they are not working since they were "Functional before". This fool failed to realize that this is a two year old thread and and marty0 did not post any links ( i skimmed through the thread and if he did post outside links, I have no control over them). So he lied about them being functional "before" unless you want to believe that in the few days that this thread was revived these links were taken down by their hosts.
He also claimed that user edrikk's posts were somehow altered. Problem is HE IS EDRIKK. Same IP. Nothing was altered, nothing changed. He is a liar.
Shame that some folks have to lie.
Here is the bottom line. EVERY paid VMS charges for updates excluding network optix a fine vms at 70 bux PER camera and its clones and BLUE IRIS - at least for now. Yes I said blue iris. This thread was started in 2016, when there was a mention of paid support in the release notes. Up to last month updates were provided via the software free. Even NOW you can easily update for FREE by using the blue iris website update page.
These moochers want free support for LIFE. That doesnt exist on 60 dollar software. Even NVR's have EOL after which they are no longer updated - and they receive minimal updates even when they are available. Smart users would be using vpn that would make this irrelevant anyway. BI not only provides security updates but new features every few weeks. But my god, what has the world come to when cheapskates cannot pry open their wallet for service.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well since I started this thread four years ago I thought it was time to add my two cents. I have purchased BI twice now, version 3 and 4, its a good app. When I updated 14 days ago the new version has the "Check for Updates" disabled. Also disabled is the automatically check for updates. I have never required support so do not pay for it. There was no notice that it is not updatable any longer even though version 5 is not out unless I have missed it. Version 4 was told to include object tracking in the future but I have not seen that arrive yet. A little notice to existing customers goes a long way when a payment is due... maybe even to ease everyone's mind that another payment is not due have way through Version 5's creation as we are bug testing for you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well since I started this thread four years ago I thought it was time to add my two cents. I have purchased BI twice now, version 3 and 4, its a good app. When I updated 14 days ago the new version has the "Check for Updates" disabled. Also disabled is the automatically check for updates. I have never required support so do not pay for it. There was no notice that it is not updatable any longer even though version 5 is not out unless I have missed it. Version 4 was told to include object tracking in the future but I have not seen that arrive yet. A little notice to existing customers goes a long way when a payment is due... maybe even to ease everyone's mind that another payment is not due have way through Version 5's creation as we are bug testing for you.
It's amazing how your cheapness clouds your vision.. didn't even read the posts... You can still update Blue Iris for free..I'll say it again you can still update Blue Iris for free though I think he should be charging for it.
The notice was actually given to you back in 2016 with the release notes update he was generous enough to keep it going until 2019. So now the fact that he has been so generous and still being generous by letting you update via the website it's a bad. Unbelievable.
The real problem is that you have never used another piece of paid VMS software... So you don't understand how good you have it... You are not obligated to update when update appears... Follow that simple rule and you won't be able to allege that you're a bug tester... As I have explained multiple times the alternative is that every new feature is tested for 3 to 4 months and you don't get needed updates for new cameras or new functions unless you're willing to wait 6 months to a year if that... By providing these timely updates every 2 to 3 weeks you get the option to add new functions if you want to... How is having the option to do it a bad thing? there have been numerous post where users had asked for a specific feature and it was implemented within days. A new camera with a new function that was never supported and after he logs in he pushes the update within a few days...you will not find faster implementation of updates.
All I see is a cheapskate bitching. So do this find us all a better alternative and post about it. You can't and you won't you just can't pry your Rusty wallet open... But the good news is you don't have to go back and read the post on how to update for free!

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
maybe even to ease everyone's mind that another payment is not due have way through Version 5's creation as we are bug testing for you.
The notice was actually given to you back in 2016 with the release notes update he was generous enough to keep it going until 2019
Listen up @Starri_eyed: it sounds like you think you're speaking to the developer whose name is Ken. You're not. Ken's not here. I felt the same as you at first, but after considering the quality of the software, and the plethora of features (along with the reasonable cost) I changed my mind. The software still allows you to manually update to the newest version, and if you don't need support what's the big fuQin' deal anyway, eh?

keep-calm-and-UPDATE-MANUALLY2.png

Last edited: