Blue Iris Hardware Questions

Marzetti

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings,
I'm looking at moving to BI, and have a few questions regarding recommended specs and NVR’s (for our server build):
· What HW specs would one recommend for 22 cameras @ 1080p and 5 FPS (approx.)?
· How many cameras can BI run with an Intel Atom D525 CPU (1.8GHz, dual core)? Has anyone tested this?
· Does BI support NVR’s?
· Can BI run as an NVR?
· If no NVR support, can a NAS be setup and BI direct IPC’s to record to said NAS (image attached below)?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello. Welcome to the forum.

· What HW specs would one recommend for 22 cameras @ 1080p and 5 FPS (approx.)?
I recommend an Intel 4th generation i7 CPU for this load. i7-4770 or i7-4790. 8 GB memory. However much storage you want. No need for a graphics card. You may even get away with higher frame rates than 5 FPS.

A 2nd or 3rd generation i7 would also handle this (i7-2600 or i7-3770 for example). I would not recommend any i5 CPU for this though.

· How many cameras can BI run with an Intel Atom D525 CPU (1.8GHz, dual core)? Has anyone tested this?
That would run about 1 megapixel at a fairly low frame rate, or 2 megapixels at an extremely low frame rate.

· Does BI support NVR’s?
Maybe (depends on the NVR) but there is little reason for BI to support an NVR since BI could just connect direct to the cameras instead.

· Can BI run as an NVR?
Yes, that is what BI is. A software NVR.

· If no NVR support, can a NAS be setup and BI direct IPC’s to record to said NAS (image attached below)?
BI can save recordings to a NAS, as long as you map it as a network drive.

Marzetti

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome!! Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it!

Marzetti

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, I need to build 2. One will only have 4-8 cameras and 2-4TB of storage. The 22cam, I was thinking of putting in 4x 2TB WD purple drives. Will BI handle 8TB ok?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris will be fine with any size hard drive array, though if you are just going to pool the drives then you might be better off with fewer, larger drives so you have fewer points of failure.

4 to 8 1080p cameras will work fine on an i5 of the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th generation. 4th generation is obviously best if you are buying new though.

Marzetti

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, cool. And do you see an issue using AMD over Intel? Normally, I would not use AMD (especially in my ESX hosts), but since these are essentially software NVR's....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
AMD is about half a decade behind Intel in CPU technology. They use more power and are not as fast. Don't buy them :)
bp, you are slacking here, where is the dell outlet recommendation :D