Blue Iris Hardware Recommendations

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All,

Can you please recommend a PC, I have looked at the optiplex's however I am wondering if I can get something cheaper for my systems. I am still at the stage where I am debating between an NVR or dedicated PC so cost is one of the factors.

4-5 HIKVISION Turrets

4 - 3 MP
or
4 - 4 MP (the new ones they just released)

Recording will be 24x7, remote access at time, etc

Thanks
Check ebay or hp elitedesk 800 g1 i5-4590 systems...they are generally around 300...

waketech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
when an nvr notes 5 MP of recording what does this mean ?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
when an nvr notes 5 MP of recording what does this mean ?
Good Question. One thing about HIK NVRs is they don't spec out 4K or UHD. Even 4MP is missing. does 5MP have meaning on an NVR with 4MP cameras?

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is also a VLAN capable switch if you want to put your camera network on a different subnet.
I'm not that great at IT but I think I like the idea of a different subnet. Would a subnet keep the traffic down on my main network? Can I still see my cameras via WAN (on my phone) if I have them on a different subnet? If not do I need a separate router? I'm in the process of setting up Blue Iris, thanks to PC recommendations from Fenderman.

Price between the one you recommend and the one Fenderman recommends is not a huge difference. But I think I like the different subnet option. Fenderman is a fountain of knowledge. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not that great at IT but I think I like the idea of a different subnet. Would a subnet keep the traffic down on my main network? Can I still see my cameras via WAN (on my phone) if I have them on a different subnet? If not do I need a separate router? I'm in the process of setting up Blue Iris, thanks to PC recommendations from Fenderman.

Price between the one you recommend and the one Fenderman recommends is not a huge difference. But I think I like the different subnet option. Fenderman is a fountain of knowledge. :)
They are both managed switches capable of vlans...the zyxel is also gigabit if that matters to you...they are both good choices but I personally would not pay the extra 50 for the ubiquti...these type of things come down to personal choice...
If you do go with the zyxel, here are three important points
1) the switch arrives with a static ip of 192.168.1.1 you will need to hook it up to a pc first to change it.
2) When changing settings there is an apply button AND a save button on the top. IF you dont hit the save button you will lose your settings on power cycle...so dont forget to hit save once the settings are satisfactory.
3) In the POE settings make sure to change the default classification mode to consumption mode or you will not be able to power more than 4 cameras.
http://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!gwsViewDetail.action?articleOid=012309&lang=EN

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, I'll go with your recommendation.

One more question, if I have more than 7 cameras, can this switch be cascaded? 8 port switch, one to PC running Blue Iris, other 7 for cameras. 8 or more cameras connect how? Sorry for being dumb, just getting started with PC and Blue Iris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
A switch can be setup one of three ways.

1. One network cable plugged into the router, the rest into the cameras. The camera ports need to be PoE.
2. One network cable plugged into another switch, that is plugged into the router, and the rest into the cameras.

With these options, the camera server either needs to be plugged into the router or one of the switches.

3. You can plug one port into the camera server, and the rest into each camera. If you are going to do it this way, you need to have two NICs on your camera server, as well as static addresses for each camera and the NIC you are using on your computer. This way is nice if you want to separate traffic completely from your normal network however there are drawbacks. Your cameras cannot get an internet connection, updating the clock to sync via the web is no longer possible this way. You also would not be able to access the individual cameras from any other pc than your camera server, this could be a good or bad thing depending on who you want to have access. You can "cascade" switches this way, but you're going to lose an additional port plugging it into another switch.

I hope this helps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, I'll go with your recommendation.

One more question, if I have more than 7 cameras, can this switch be cascaded? 8 port switch, one to PC running Blue Iris, other 7 for cameras. 8 or more cameras connect how? Sorry for being dumb, just getting started with PC and Blue Iris.
Yes as dobie pointed out, simply connect one switch to the other and connect the blue iris pc to a port on any of these switches..the blue iris pc can also simply be plugged into another network port such as a switch or router on the same network. The benefit of hooking the pc to the switches that are directly connected to the camera is that the network traffic does not flow through the router. Regardless on a gigabit network it wont matter.

usmc

n3wb
Reaction score
They are both managed switches capable of vlans...the zyxel is also gigabit if that matters to you...they are both good choices but I personally would not pay the extra 50 for the ubiquti...these type of things come down to personal choice...
If you do go with the zyxel, here are three important points
1) the switch arrives with a static ip of 192.168.1.1 you will need to hook it up to a pc first to change it.
2) When changing settings there is an apply button AND a save button on the top. IF you dont hit the save button you will lose your settings on power cycle...so dont forget to hit save once the settings are satisfactory.
3) In the POE settings make sure to change the default classification mode to consumption mode or you will not be able to power more than 4 cameras.
http://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!gwsViewDetail.action?articleOid=012309&lang=EN
Thanks for great advice. I will get this ZyXEL switch.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check ebay or hp elitedesk 800 g1 i5-4590 systems...they are generally around 300...
@fenderman, so your saying this elitedesk will run 8 cameras? How do you see hardware acceleration helping when that is released? Do you see being able to use lesser of a cpu with a better video card?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman, so your saying this elitedesk will run 8 cameras? How do you see hardware acceleration helping when that is released? Do you see being able to use lesser of a cpu with a better video card?
it will run 8 1080p cameras...you will be pushing it with 3mp but it should still work...i would just be guessing with hardware acceleration..we need to wait for its release...but yes, it will allow a lower power cpu...

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it will run 8 1080p cameras...you will be pushing it with 3mp but it should still work...i would just be guessing with hardware acceleration..we need to wait for its release...but yes, it will allow a lower power cpu...
how do you go about speccing a system out? do you have a write up on how you spec out your installs?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
how do you go about speccing a system out? do you have a write up on how you spec out your installs?
Its just based on prior experience. You should be able to run 16mp on the i5-4590 with room to spare (about 50 percent cpu load - direct to disc)...it will vary...I prefer to be safer than sorry...I like to keep my systems at 30-50 percent cpu max.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its just based on prior experience. You should be able to run 16mp on the i5-4590 with room to spare (about 50 percent cpu load - direct to disc)...it will vary...I prefer to be safer than sorry...I like to keep my systems at 30-50 percent cpu max.
So in theory this would be a good setup for a 8ch system? what about a 16ch system? 4ch system?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So in theory this would be a good setup for a 8ch system? what about a 16ch system? 4ch system?
Its not so much about the channels but the total resolution..it would not be ok for a 8 channel 4mp system (even 3mp is a big stretch)...
Of course this is assuming about 15fps per channel...you can streach things a bit by running at a lower frame rate. Blue iris also has a live preview frame rate limier that helps..so it displays the live video at a lower fps, say 10fps but still records at 15...
It doesnt really pay to go lower than an i5 even for a 4ch system because there is not much savings..the i5 haswells are 300.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i7 bro; in my opinion it's advisable to buy the most CPU possible spyfly81. That way -- when you end up with IpCamophenia -- you don't have to junk the PC and step up to something more powerful...

Ipcamophrenia
[eye-pee-cam-o-free-nee-uh, -freen-yuh]
noun
1. Psychiatry. Also called dementia cctvia. A severe mental disorder characterized by some, but not necessarily all, of the following symptoms: insatiable ip camera purchasing, new model lust, excessive night vision tweaking, compulsive firmware upgrading, CPU capability delusions, and WDR and noise hallucinations.

hypnotized.gif

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i7 bro; in my opinion it's advisable to buy the most CPU possible spyfly81. That way -- when you end up with IpCamophenia -- you don't have to junk the PC and step up to something more powerful...

Ipcamophrenia
[eye-pee-cam-o-free-nee-uh, -freen-yuh]
noun
1. Psychiatry. Also called dementia cctvia. A severe mental disorder characterized by some, but not necessarily all, of the following symptoms: insatiable ip camera purchasing, new model lust, excessive night vision tweaking, compulsive firmware upgrading, CPU capability delusions, and WDR and noise hallucinations.

View attachment 6576
Yeah, I caught that disease. You would think that I get enough of this at work... LMAO....

New build for roughly 12mp, 4 analog on an Axis 7014 and 5 3mp cameras recording at at 1080p. Should give me some room for a while. If I need more, I have an easy upgrade of the processor to an E3-1276 v3 at 10,223 passmark.

Went with this for price and expandability, will take a full sized nvidia card. Comments?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301711364574?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YG9EK6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IMPO5N8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That unit benchmarks just below an I5- haswell...it more than fine for the load. The thinkserver is a solid system (I use the older ts130 as an office "server"), but its more costly than say an hp elitedesk I5-4590, one you factor in the OS.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The E3-1225 is a lot like an i5. An older i5. That CPU is 4 years old.

It would have been more cost effective to get a refurbished i5-4590 system as fenderman is always saying. But at least this way you have a lot of room for more HDDs and a graphics card, though I hope you don't overload the power supply.