blue iris suddenly a memory hog and at 100% cpu usage

James603

n3wb
Reaction score
Just want to add my recent experience. Over the weekend our 30 camera system went from 65-75% CPU usage to 100% and RAM went from 8GB'ish to over 14GB (16GB installed).

i7-7700K
16GB Ram
Windows 10 Pro
Blue Iris 4.6.5.3
Direct two Disc is on for all cameras
Most of the 30 cameras are Amcrest IP4M-1026E

Cameras were initially set at 15 fps or higher but I dropped everything to 10 fps (1200 MP/s), made zero difference. After reading through this thread, I changed each camera on BI to a max rate of 10 fps and checked "Limit decoding unless required". Most of the cameras had their max rate set to 30 or above, some were even at 60 fps (we don't have any cameras that support 60 fps).

After making those changes, CPU usage dropped to 20-25% and RAM is at 5GB.

BI_stats.JPG

After putting all the cameras back to 15 fps or higher (1920 MP/s), the CPU is staying between 30-40%. RAM is up to 9GB. I'm confused at what just happened.

BI_stats2.JPG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just want to add my recent experience. Over the weekend our 30 camera system went from 65-75% CPU usage to 100% and RAM went from 8GB'ish to over 14GB (16GB installed).

i7-7700K
16GB Ram
Windows 10 Pro
Blue Iris 4.6.5.3
Direct two Disc is on for all cameras
Most of the 30 cameras are Amcrest IP4M-1026E

Cameras were initially set at 15 fps or higher but I dropped everything to 10 fps (1200 MP/s), made zero difference. After reading through this thread, I changed each camera on BI to a max rate of 10 fps and checked "Limit decoding unless required". Most of the cameras had their max rate set to 30 or above, some were even at 60 fps (we don't have any cameras that support 60 fps).

After making those changes, CPU usage dropped to 20-25% and RAM is at 5GB.

View attachment 24838

After putting all the cameras back to 15 fps or higher (1920 MP/s), the CPU is staying between 30-40%. RAM is up to 9GB. I'm confused at what just happened.

View attachment 24839
dont use limit decoding, you are masking the problem and will have issues with motion detection.

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, Ken is also working with me about this issue.
Please email him , since he needs to know many people has this issue.

Cor

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I emailed support but they wouldn't help unless I had the paid support service.
I received an email back from Jen, not Ken.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm all this right about the time Win10 release 1709 is being installed by way of Windows Update.

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just installed the trial a couple days ago and noticed that BI is reporting cpu usage to be very high, but task manager isn't.
Is this the same issue?

Having big issues with getting motion detection working and noticing BI reports 100% cpu when trying to work on it. Windows says 30% when BI says 100 though.
I have two 2mp cams and one 3mp that I'm using as 1080p on a 4th gen i5 with 8 gig of ram fresh install of win 10 last week.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just installed the trial a couple days ago and noticed that BI is reporting cpu usage to be very high, but task manager isn't.
Is this the same issue?

Having big issues with getting motion detection working and noticing BI reports 100% cpu when trying to work on it. Windows says 30% when BI says 100 though.
I have two 2mp cams and one 3mp that I'm using as 1080p on a 4th gen i5 with 8 gig of ram fresh install of win 10 last week.
enable direct to disk, though the demo does not support it...are you logging in remotely? your cpu load should be about 10 percent with direct to disk and hardware acceleration enabled.

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do rdp in sometimes and sometimes I don't...I don't see a big difference.
What I am most puzzeled about is that BI says 100% when windows says 30ish%.
I did try the direct to disk, but if it isn't enabled in the demo it won't matter I guess. Do the overlays get recorded if I enabled direct to disk? Kinda one of the things I want to use.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did try the direct to disk, but if it isn't enabled in the demo it won't matter I guess. Do the overlays get recorded if I enabled direct to disk? Kinda one of the things I want to use.
You don't need blueiris overlays as with every other IP camera that records to VMS or NVR use the cameras own overlay.. as far as directed this you can test it and see if he made changes to allow it in the demo... It won't kill you...

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The cpu number BI reports is the total of all processes on the PC, not just BI. If by Windows you mean task manager is reporting 30% for the BI process alone, then somehing else is using the rest of the cpu. Task manager should report that as well. It is recommended BI be on a dedicated PC.

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I was using BI tools and adding the weather overlay. That is why I wanted to use the overlay.
Task manager is reporting everything for the PC as 30ish% while BI is saying 100%.
This was looking at it via rdp. I will try tonight directly on the PC.
There are no other services other than what windows has running afaik.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I was using BI tools and adding the weather overlay. That is why I wanted to use the overlay.
Task manager is reporting everything for the PC as 30ish% while BI is saying 100%.
This was looking at it via rdp. I will try tonight directly on the PC.
There are no other services other than what windows has running afaik.
Don't test CPU usage when using RDP... It will skew you everything.... You don't need the record the weather on every single camera... Direct to disc won't impact the live view of the overlay... In fact it's better this way because the overlay doesn't block any important footage you might want to capture...

SAVideoman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm also having the increasing CPU usage problem. I'm running 8 cameras (all 1080p or better) and I have to restart BI at least once per day. I just updated to the latest BI version 4.6.5.3 version and the problem still exists. Before that I had been using a very old version of BI, probably about 10 or 11 months old and I had the same CPU usage problem. So searching for an older version of BI will probably not fix the problem. I hope Ken can get the problem fixed soon, this is pretty frustrating.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm also having the increasing CPU usage problem. I'm running 8 cameras (all 1080p or better) and I have to restart BI at least once per day. I just updated to the latest BI version 4.6.5.3 version and the problem still exists. Before that I had been using a very old version of BI, probably about 10 or 11 months old and I had the same CPU usage problem. So searching for an older version of BI will probably not fix the problem. I hope Ken can get the problem fixed soon, this is pretty frustrating.
read the posts on the memory leak, you need to update the intel driver..

SAVideoman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
read the posts on the memory leak, you need to update the intel driver..
Will I have to reinstall the Intel driver after my next Windows update? I'm just asking because I thought drivers are automatically updated when Windows updates itself.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Will I have to reinstall the Intel driver after my next Windows update? I'm just asking because I thought drivers are automatically updated when Windows updates itself.
the threads explain how to stop this from happening..