blue iris suddenly a memory hog and at 100% cpu usage

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was looking for something else and found this. In case anyone is interested I'll give my two cents worth.

Blue Iris has become a very sophisticated program. Unfortunately that equates to high CPU and memory resources. But if you don't need all of the bells and whistles turn that feature off and save some resources. If you don't know what it is you probably don't need it. Pick a camera and experiment, and write it down as you go so you can restore it if it doesn't work. After making a change give BI a few minutes to settle down and don't look for immediate results.

The largest CPU savings will come by checking "Limit decoding unless required" in the Video tab of the Camera Properties box. The next big savings will come from getting the time and date from the camera and turning off the overlay in BI. And of course turn down the FPS from the camera to, at the most 12, and some cameras can even stand 10 or 8. This forum has a very good explanation of all of this at: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

I have Windows 10 with Intel 7700 and 32 G of ram and have BI running at 10 to 15 % and 1.5 G of ram with seven cameras and a self contained video card on the mother board. It does jump occasionally but I don't see 70 or 90 % and the web server feature seems to work just fine.
The issue in this thread is directly related to a memory leak and will occur regardless of any settings if you have a bad driver... Limit decoding will cause issues with motion detection...

RFM

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't read the entire thread, just the first page and it seemed that the guy was asking about settings.

The issues with limit decoding are mostly with key frames. Most cameras now a'days are set at 30 or 60 and probably wouldn't be noticed. Checking that box will definantly make a difference on cpu performance. But that is why I suggested testing on just one camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't read the entire thread, just the first page and it seemed that the guy was asking about settings.

The issues with limit decoding are mostly with key frames. Most cameras now a'days are set at 30 or 60 and probably wouldn't be noticed. Checking that box will definantly make a difference on cpu performance. But that is why I suggested testing on just one camera.
I don't think you understand what the issue is

BSmithw6

n3wb
Reaction score
I was looking for something else and found this. In case anyone is interested I'll give my two cents worth.

Blue Iris has become a very sophisticated program. Unfortunately that equates to high CPU and memory resources. But if you don't need all of the bells and whistles turn that feature off and save some resources. If you don't know what it is you probably don't need it. Pick a camera and experiment, and write it down as you go so you can restore it if it doesn't work. After making a change give BI a few minutes to settle down and don't look for immediate results.

The largest CPU savings will come by checking "Limit decoding unless required" in the Video tab of the Camera Properties box. The next big savings will come from getting the time and date from the camera and turning off the overlay in BI. And of course turn down the FPS from the camera to, at the most 12, and some cameras can even stand 10 or 8. This forum has a very good explanation of all of this at: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

I have Windows 10 with Intel 7700 and 32 G of ram and have BI running at 10 to 15 % and 1.5 G of ram with seven cameras and a self contained video card on the mother board. It does jump occasionally but I don't see 70 or 90 % and the web server feature seems to work just fine.
Thank you for the help. I had a windows update that hosed my video card and I just removed it instead of re-installing. May be coincidence but the CPU for BI VM went from 30% to 90-100%.

I did what you said in the above and now it is down to 12% (Edit 20-25%... I don't record much on the weekends when I am home). Awesome. Thanks again.

I am running a mix of 9 cameras from 3 being wireless and 6 are mixed btw IP cameras and the old type (forget what you call them right now)

Appreciate all the help. (I do have an active subscription to BI but I try and do my best to solve myself using boards like these first).

Last edited:

Stefank

n3wb
Reaction score
Had the same problem with 100% CPU. Usually it is 20-30%, but suddenly it just went to 100% - I suspect a bi update. I did however try to go back to an earlier Intel driver, and I selected no hw accelation in bi. Still 100% :(

I tried the solutions in this forum, even reinstalled bi (not windows, however), but to no avail. I then closed the bi admin console AND service through task manager, and restarted ONLY the service (no pc restart) - boom, down to approx. 50% CPU! :) I then opened the Admin console - back to 100% CPU again :( shut down the admin console and service again and restarted the service only, again back to 50%.

I have now reactivated hw acceleration in bi, closed the Admin console and service, restarted service only, and now it spins beautifully at 20-30% cpu, fingers crossed!! :D even tried rebooting the PC (yeah, I live life on the edge), and when I opened the admin console, back at 100... Closed console and service, restarted service only, and now a stable 20-30% again.

So, I solely suspect a BI error, not intel driver etc....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Had the same problem with 100% CPU. Usually it is 20-30%, but suddenly it just went to 100% - I suspect a bi update. I did however try to go back to an earlier Intel driver, and I selected no hw accelation in bi. Still 100% :(

I tried the solutions in this forum, even reinstalled bi (not windows, however), but to no avail. I then closed the bi admin console AND service through task manager, and restarted ONLY the service (no pc restart) - boom, down to approx. 50% CPU! :) I then opened the Admin console - back to 100% CPU again :( shut down the admin console and service again and restarted the service only, again back to 50%.

I have now reactivated hw acceleration in bi, closed the Admin console and service, restarted service only, and now it spins beautifully at 20-30% cpu, fingers crossed!! :D even tried rebooting the PC (yeah, I live life on the edge), and when I opened the admin console, back at 100... Closed console and service, restarted service only, and now a stable 20-30% again.

So, I solely suspect a BI error, not intel driver etc....
This has been proven conclusively to be an intel driver issue. There is no memory issue with blue iris. Otherwise we would all be suffering from it -we are not. In the future, dont auto update.