Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! 1.6.0

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
This works brilliantly, thank you. It did not take much time to do and the documentation was spot on, except for below.

The only issue is the file path given for the macro. It should be "file:/........" You are missing the additional /.

1701458835558.png

I would also suggest restructuring the order of instruction so that a weather.txt file is created first, before adding the macro. Possibly containing simple "TEST" text (it's going to get overwritten anyways, right?). This would do two things. Let you know the overlay is working correctly locally before adding in the variable of pulling weather data. And also allowing the use of the "Set to file" button in the macro menu. This alleviates any issues with an incorrect path by navigating directly to it.

1701459103167.png

Some questions I have:
  1. What happens if task scheduler polls faster than every 15 minutes?
  2. Can I remove information and only display certain weather data? If so, how?

I hove picked a station ID but I also need to know what the weather underground API Key to fill in this line of code "
Your PW Station ID&format=json&units=e&apiKey=Your WU API Key*"
Micheal_N_Blackwell responded as follows: "the API key is a Key that you get from Weather Underground for your Personal Weather Station (PWA), it's one of the options available to you when you register your PWS with WU. " So if I don't have a PWA then I am trying to understand what to put in the code for the WU_API_Key.

Thanks
Try this to create an API key.
Using WUnderground – RainMachine

Attachments

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I am also having issues with Task Scheduler and so far have had to manually fire the task each time.

I recreated the task and it seems to be working now.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hove picked a station ID but I also need to know what the weather underground API Key to fill in this line of code "
Your PW Station ID&format=json&units=e&apiKey=Your WU API Key*"
Micheal_N_Blackwell responded as follows: "the API key is a Key that you get from Weather Underground for your Personal Weather Station (PWA), it's one of the options available to you when you register your PWS with WU. " So if I don't have a PWA then I am trying to understand what to put in the code for the WU_API_Key.

Thanks
FWIW, my BIT updates WU with no WU API key.....:idk:

C.S.Tech

n3wb
Reaction score
This weather overlay is a NOICE feature or would be if I could get it to work. I can't get pass having a "Error-Type mismatch" message.

C.S.Tech

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you follow the "Help" file for BIT?
I did, back and forth BUT......I tinkered around a bit and realized that I had an API key specified. I removed it and what do you know weather results populated. I still see the "Error-Type mismatch" message but I've been monitoring the weather underground station I chose for the past 5-10 minutes and the temperature overlay I'm using is accurate.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did, back and forth BUT......I tinkered around a bit and realized that I had an API key specified. I removed it and what do you know weather results populated. I still see the "Error-Type mismatch" message but I've been monitoring the weather underground station I chose for the past 5-10 minutes and the temperature overlay I'm using is accurate.
Great!
Just be aware that over the past several years WU has had its ups and downs, unfortunately more downs than ups. When IBM / Weather.com acquired them it became very undependable.:confused:

plomaris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't get any weather station ID to work in BI Tools. All of them work fine on the Weather Underground web site. Anyone else having that issue? Any ideas on how to fix?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can't get any weather station ID to work in BI Tools.
What do you mean, more specifically?
  • Were they "working" before but stopped recently?
  • You have macros that stay blank when overlayed?
  • The overlays are there but don't show updated info?
Screen shots of these would help:

BIT-macros_1219234.jpg
BIT-overlay_1219234.jpg

plomaris

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@TonyR : It worked up until about 4 days ago. I have made no changes. Weather does not change in the txt files, so it is always the same in camera view. Regardless of what Station ID I put in, I get "Error Connecting to wunderground. Check your internet connection / station ID."

** Correction **
I'm an idiot. When I put the station ID in all uppercase, it works. However, I was confused because the Station ID I was using was in all Upper case, so I guess something is wrong with that station. When I tried other stations, I left them in lowercase and none worked. When I tried another station in all upper case it worked.

Thanks!

Attachments

bpratt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
it's stopped starting BI when I boot the computer up, as well as it no longer restarts BI if I shutdown BI itself

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I know it's been said in the past but I can't seem to find any methods. I am wanting to add wind gust speeds to the overlay on my cameras. was there any way to do this with the current version? it was mentioned on another thread about gust to be added to a future update.

Reaction score
curious if Wunderground is/has been up and running for you BIris users (specifically this last week)? my laptop crashed, rebuilt/settings held.. but i'm getting the " Error connecting to wndgrnd, chck INT conn / station ID.
any assistance would b appreciated.

I've tried 4 station id's in my area AS WELL AS those shown here in forum/thread.. and i get the same error/unable to update.

Ty in advance,

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
curious if Wunderground is/has been up and running for you BIris users (specifically this last week)? my laptop crashed, rebuilt/settings held.. but i'm getting the " Error connecting to wndgrnd, chck INT conn / station ID.
any assistance would b appreciated.

I've tried 4 station id's in my area AS WELL AS those shown here in forum/thread.. and i get the same error/unable to update.

Ty in advance,
It currently is working for me, and I haven't seen any issues for a long long time, literally years I think.

Blue Iris Tools.png

Reaction score
TY for quick reply/confirmation.. i just tried your station Id.. immediately tries to connect (blue font change/flash too fast to read) then, red font/states error above.

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
TY for quick reply/confirmation.. i just tried your station Id.. immediately tries to connect (blue font change/flash too fast to read) then, red font/states error above.
No problem. Are you for sure using the latest version 1.6.0 and didn't grab an old copy from somewhere?
1711604054926.png

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
No problem. Are you for sure using the latest version 1.6.0 and didn't grab an old copy from somewhere?
View attachment 190827
Also, I saw some one above in this thread mention that the station ID is case sensitive. It won't work in lowercase, you must use uppercase. I just tested, and I can confirm that is true, it must all be uppercase.

Reaction score
jus confirmed/same version as you... did fresh install of BIT and BIris 5 (5.2.9.7/version i've used for yrs/since 1yr lapsed..no issue until lappy crash/reinstall of all ,this last week.. with no connection/station id error/yet to get successful update)

Attachments