Blue Iris UI3

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm new to Blue Iris and was wondering if there is a benefit of using UI3 over the stock Blue Iris interface or is it just cosmetic?
There is a huge benefit...it is much more than cosmetic...lots of more features options and control..at some point it will be included in the official release...try it and see for yourself. It is fantastic.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Right click on a clip (or alert) in the clip list. You'll find a "Protect" option there. For some reason it takes Blue Iris a lot longer to protect a clip than to flag it, but it is there and it works.
Hmm I did that this morning and didn't see the option. Maybe I missed it... will check when I get home

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Brian, I just yesterday ventured into the UI3 universe. Awesome job man, it's great. Thanks for all your work on this!

I do have an issue. When I close out an individual camera, and all the cams are displayed, I'm getting audio from all cams, it seems.
I have three groups setup.
Is this as designed or am I missing something?
Thanks.

@bp2008

rkn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well there do exist some 3rd-party scripts to enable pinch zooming on specific elements of the page, but that video player already has extremely custom touch and click handling and I bet it wouldn't be compatible. I will keep this in mind anyway ...
I wondered about that today but perhaps a simpler solution than part page touch scaling is two more optional buttons with a zoom in and out for mobile use. This also avoids scaling the whole page using browser pinch and potentially losing some available stream resolution.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Brian, on next update could you reduce the time out period for the UI3 beta banner or eliminate it. Seems to show too long over the video. When I try to close banner early on android phone, it is like the "X" close is transparent and the frame underneath the X, maximizes. The manual close "X" works good with mouse on Chrome.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Brian, I just yesterday ventured into the UI3 universe. Awesome job man, it's great. Thanks for all your work on this!

I do have an issue. When I close out an individual camera, and all the cams are displayed, I'm getting audio from all cams, it seems.
I have three groups setup.
Is this as designed or am I missing something?
Thanks.

@bp2008
UI3 just plays whatever audio the H.264 video stream has accompanying it. Blue Iris mixes together the streams from multiple cameras when streaming a group. It is as designed.

Ummm... lol what am I missing
Update once in a while, man. That version must be over a month old now. You'll probably need to update Blue Iris too.

I wondered about that today but perhaps a simpler solution than part page touch scaling is two more optional buttons with a zoom in and out for mobile use. This also avoids scaling the whole page using browser pinch and potentially losing some available stream resolution.
Buttons for zooming would just be a step in the wrong direction.

Brian, on next update could you reduce the time out period for the UI3 beta banner or eliminate it. Seems to show too long over the video. When I try to close banner early on android phone, it is like the "X" close is transparent and the frame underneath the X, maximizes. The manual close "X" works good with mouse on Chrome.
I appreciate that the banner is a pain in the ass. It is kind of designed that way in order to encourage people to update once the UI is out of beta.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Na, BI is on auto update, sorry I was just posting back it was probably an older version I am using lol

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On UI2 it would say there is a new version available when you logged in. I've not seen that message on ui3 that's why I never checked for updates

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, so I tried to right click on a clip and download it. I tried in the alert list and when the download was 3GB I hit cancel. Not sure if this was downloading ALL the clips or what.
So then I opened a clip and from there did it again where it says download clip and the same thing happened. The clip is 29 seconds and it is a 1080 cam. I wouldn't think it should be that large for 29 seconds.
What am I doing wrong? Or is there a reason why this is normal?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No 29 second clip should be 3 GB. But a 29 second alert may belong to a 3 GB clip. I'm not saying there is zero chance there is a bug making it download the wrong clip, but this stuff is easy to get confused with so it is more likely you are mistaken about the length of the clip you are downloading.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is also worth noting that UI3 can only download clips exactly as they exist as files on your server. It can't convert to mp4 or export just a single alert from a clip that contains more than one alert.

So if you download an alert what you actually get is the clip that contains it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Beta b23 is now available in the first post.

* Login page updated to version 13, fixing a bug that occurred if Context Menu Compatibitly Mode was enabled in UI3.
* Fixed a bug where the clip preview animation loaded small if the clip's thumbnail had not yet loaded.
* Stopped using cached values to determine if the page is visible, as this is likely the reason the video streams sometimes failed to load during startup in recent UI3 beta versions.

Moose

n3wb
Reaction score
There is a huge benefit...it is much more than cosmetic...lots of more features options and control..at some point it will be included in the official release...try it and see for yourself. It is fantastic.
So you’re using BI running as a service and UI3 for all live viewing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So you’re using BI running as a service and UI3 for all live viewing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
No, on most systems the console is running.... I use ui3 for remote viewing...