Blue Iris UI3

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm slowly dumpstering the older cameras that require IE to configure them. Will be glad when they're all gone. It just gets my hackles up every time I have to deal with it. It can't be secured. Not a big deal if you're just signing into a camera (as long as it's not an infected camera) but I wouldn't chance it even on reputable web sites because malware ads are a thing.

Kinda wish UI3 didn't work with it. Not to beat on you, I'm sure you have your reasons for using IE. Just the less works with it, the less likely people that don't have specific needs are to keep using it. I wish Microsoft would uninstall it by default from consumer windows. But still allow folks with specific needs to reinstall if needed. That'd at least get it out of Grandma's sight.
IE is not default in w10...edge is...ie is available in 10 for instances when needed..

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BP2008, any chance the camera labels might not cover the video feed at some point? "Above" and "Below" just cover other camera feeds instead of covering the one labeled like "Top" and "Bottom" do.

Ideally above/below would shift the row of cameras enough to make space for the label.

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IE is not default in w10...edge is...ie is available in 10 for instances when needed..
Grandma still finds it somehow. Old folks can be pretty determined when they don't want to change ;)

Now that you mention it though, I haven't seen IE in a while on any of the grandma's systems. Things are improving :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For improving performance of the local console, make sure the monitor is plugged in to the graphics card, not to the motherboard, in order to receive the benefit of offloading the work. It makes a more noticeable difference if your monitor is very high resolution.

Note that having no monitor at all connected to the motherboard can prevent Intel hardware acceleration from working, and Blue Iris is very bad at reporting when it is working or not.

Also make sure the "Video scaling" option is set to "Fast" in Blue Iris Options on the Other tab. This one can have a devastating effect on CPU usage.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Am I not reading this correctly? I'm confused.
You stated:

"For improving performance of the local console, make sure the monitor is plugged in to the graphics card, not to the motherboard....."
and
"Note that having no monitor at all connected to the motherboard can prevent Intel hardware acceleration from working...."

Don't we want the Intel HA working on the local console so therefore we would plug the monitor into the motherboard?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't we want the Intel HA working on the local console so therefore we would plug the monitor into the motherboard?
You do want Intel HA working, for sure. But if you also install a low power graphics card hoping to make the local console more efficient, then you want that working too. I'm just pointing out some potential misconfigurations.

To get the local console efficiency advantage, you must have the local console rendering on a monitor connected to the graphics card. But doing this on a typical system with only one monitor may inadvertently break Intel HA. In some systems, Intel HA won't work unless a monitor is plugged in to the motherboard. It doesn't need to be your primary monitor, or even a real monitor. You can use a little display faking device (these are available as a tiny HDMI dongle for $10 to $20), or force the analog VGA output into a compatibility mode where it sends a signal even if nothing is connected. Not all systems require this. The only way to know if your system does or not is to monitor CPU and GPU usage levels to determine if HA is working or not.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
What ever happened with showing the SERVER's time in the UI3? I'm in California managing/monitoring a server in Chicago and the UI3 shows me my local time on clips/alerts (while the video has the correct server-local timestamp of course)... I don't see any frobs in the UI3 controls for this, but maybe i'm just not seeing it? thanx.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
UI3 is supposed to show all timestamps in the clip/alert lists using the server's time zone. Can you open the developer tools in your browser and run these two commands and see what the results are?

Code:
serverTimeZoneOffsetMs
Code:
new Date().getTimezoneOffset() * 60000
This is what you would get for example if both the server and client were in the mountain time zone...

upload_2018-10-28_13-49-56.png

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am having a not-so-small problem with UI3 and I was hoping that someone might have an idea.

What I want to do is run UI3 to display two cameras on a vertical screen. However, the server places both cameras side-by-side, resulting to a ton of dead space. Is it possible to force the server to display one camera on top of the other?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
@dawnbringer, find and click on the 'group settings' icon (looks like a little cog wheel) in lower left of BI console, then enter a "frame size" that gives you the desired (vertical) layout... (ie, taller than wide, maybe try 480x960, for example...)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks but that does not work. The frame size does affect each camera's quality but the cameras always stay side-by-side, their positions do not change.

Edit : Cancel that, I figured it out, it works! thank you!

Last edited:

Albert Einstien

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Quirky damned browser. All that changed recently about the loading of icons.svg is that in the last couple of versions, the session string is now sent as one of the URL parameters when your browser says it doesn't have cookies enabled. It is a pretty bullet-proof change which was made to a LOT of resource requests so it is funny that only this one would fail. Probably a caching problem given that IE refused to pick up your hand-edit to fix the error message.

You know, IE is the worst browser for UI3. It is just about the only browser that can't play H.264 at all. H.264 support is bad in Firefox and Edge. Chrome or Opera would be best.

Why did your address have "undefined" in the path?
Sorry, I was on a little trip over the weekend. Anyway
bp, you got a good eye!!!
Yea, I noticed the "undefined" way back and just ignored it because it had always worked, 'if ain't broke don't fix it" thought. It had always come up by itself that way in the address bar when the shortcut on the desktop is actually "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" and in IE the home page is "http://192.168.2.2:81/ui3.htm". Here's the setup: IE set to start with the home page. The IE desktop shortcut is set in the Windows auto-start. My PC auto starts at 8:00 a.m. . And the point of all this is that I have a dedicated BI browser with windows auto start that shows up full screen when my computer auto starts at 8: a.m. every morning. When I finally sit down at the computer after my morning coffee, I then can put my cameras in cycle mode in a window in the corner of my screen using "ctrl ~" while using Firefox as my real web browser. That's why I was so sure the URL was correct because none of that changed, (and still hasn't changed), only the BI update was done. All that being said, now that you mention it, I now notice the "undefined" is no longer showing up in the address bar after the updates. Didn't even notice, but the "undefined" that inserted itself before is now gone. Even though the "undefined" didn't affect it, It's actually nice to see the address bar 'nice and clean', "http://192.168.2.2:81/ui3.htm".
I do have a thought on why this one failed. Maybe the reason that this is the one that failed is because my Windows Auto-update service is disabled. I do them manually because I don't like MS running things on my computer behind my back. I do updates manually and I was way behind. That would be my guess. And the updated did in fact include IE updates. Thanks for giving it such close attention. I do appreciate it.
Lastly, I know you don't "officially" support IE, but I can tell you it does, and is working fine!

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am having a not-so-small problem with UI3 and I was hoping that someone might have an idea.

What I want to do is run UI3 to display two cameras on a vertical screen. However, the server places both cameras side-by-side, resulting to a ton of dead space. Is it possible to force the server to display one camera on top of the other?

Thank you in advance.
The UI3 help file is.....very helpful when used.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It needs to be bvr and h.264. I think if it is stored in H.265 (or jpeg, etc), you can't do the fast export.
Just checked each camera.. They're all Blue Iris DVR (BVR) and Direct-to-disc (H.254/5 IP or hardware encoders only)

Is there somer else to check?

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a way to choose an exact time to view recordings via UI3 and then save rather than going to clips and trying to find the right time by clicking the bar?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Just checked each camera.. They're all Blue Iris DVR (BVR) and Direct-to-disc (H.254/5 IP or hardware encoders only)

Is there somer else to check?
No, just what I said.

Is there a way to choose an exact time to view recordings via UI3 and then save rather than going to clips and trying to find the right time by clicking the bar?
There is not.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, just what I said.

There is not.
Any idea why it's not downloading the file quicker then? And it's only downloading it in 720p, not 4K.

Do you think we might see an update eventually where we can type in or click a day and choose a time and see the footage from that time?