Blue Iris Updates (64 bit)

Blue Iris Updates - Official Thread 5.8.8.12

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We are now taking bets to see if the minor revisions will surpass 11 in the 5.0.6.11 update on December 9 2019
how are updates numbered?

edit: yes it is me asking another question :)

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
A vote for 5.2.6.0 here as we’ve had a few updates for minor updates now, which logically will now be bundled into a major.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the recommend most current version that is stable ? I am using 5.2.4.4 with H.264 Hardware acceleration and am not having problems.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm using 5.2.5.10 with Intel HW acceleration on all but 4 of my cams without issue (any of those 4 cams causes a pretty quick BI shutdown with me having to revert to an older version to get it running again to turn off the INTEL aceleration on the offending cam).

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Consecutively? :)
Ha :) yes. That is obvious. I guess I was curious to why it is 5.2.5.10. I can understand version 5 for the first number but the rest had me wondering.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ha :) yes. That is obvious. I guess I was curious to why it is 5.2.5.10. I can understand version 5 for the first number but the rest had me wondering.
The rest are also consecutive. The last decimal is a minor bug fix, the next is a minor update with new features. So when new features are added it will jump to 5.2.6.0

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The rest are also consecutive. The last decimal is a minor bug fix, the next is a minor update with new features. So when new features are added it will jump to 5.2.6.0
This makes sense. Thanks.

Ryan99

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have been having major issues with CPU creep ever since updating to 5.2.5.9 &10 this week to the point where within a couple hours of starting BI, wired cameras start dropping their signal and the CPU maxes out and the system crashes. This is the first time 3 years of using BI that I have ever had any problems like this and and everything was working fine 4 days ago. Unfortunately there were also a couple of Windows 10 updates done on that day as well and I haven't been able to figure out if the BI updates are causing the CPU creep issue or the Windows 10 updates, or a combination of both.

I just did the update for BI 5.2.6.0 and looks like I'm still having the same issue with the CPU. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated, otherwise I'll try to roll back the Windows 10 updates to see if that works or at worst, wipe the drive and reload Windows 10 and BI and start fresh.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I have been having major issues with CPU creep ever since updating to 5.2.5.9 &10 this week to the point where within a couple hours of starting BI, wired cameras start dropping their signal and the CPU maxes out and the system crashes. This is the first time 3 years of using BI that I have ever had any problems like this and and everything was working fine 4 days ago. Unfortunately there were also a couple of Windows 10 updates done on that day as well and I haven't been able to figure out if the BI updates are causing the CPU creep issue or the Windows 10 updates, or a combination of both.

I just did the update for BI 5.2.6.0 and looks like I'm still having the same issue with the CPU. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated, otherwise I'll try to roll back the Windows 10 updates to see if that works or at worst, wipe the drive and reload Windows 10 and BI and start fresh.
No such problems here running 5.2.5.10. Latest Windows 10 updates installed. Can you verify that BI is taking all the CPU in Task Manager details tab?

Ryan99

n3wb
Reaction score
I run BI with a i7-8700K with 32GB memory. I have 11 cameras continuously recording and the CPU % always hovered around 15%. I have my Hikvision cameras set to use H.264+ or H.265+ so I have Hardware Acceleration turned off because my CPU has no troubles handling load by itself and I maximize hard drive space.

I only use the onboard Intel UHD 630 graphics. I tried updating to the latest Intel driver 26.20.100.7985 and that didn't help. I also saw in another ipcamtalk post to use previous version 26.20.100.7323 but no luck with that either.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you check if BI is taking up all the CPU?

I remember reading multiple reports over the years that BI was "leaking" memory, increasing CPU usage, GPU usage etc. and the resolution was to turn off special modes of video encoding in cameras, such as what you mentioned - h264+ and h265+. Looks like BI doesn't have protection against malformed video streams or may be it's impossible to do. IIRC those "plus" modes don't send key frames on a regular basis thus saving bandwidth. In standard h264 and h265 key frames must be present every constant number of frames. I think BI tries to decode the stream anyway but it leads to unexpected consequences.

At least try to disable those special modes in cameras and see if it helps.

EDIT: While looking for something else I found this in the BI manual: "When this is performed by software, it is preferable that the video was encoded as simply as possible to save CPU cycles when decoding. See your camera’s internal web-based settings to manage this—you want to select H.264 “main” profile without any “high” or “+” or “smart” modes enabled—all of these are designed to save bandwidth at the expense of CPU."

Last edited: