Blue Iris Version 5 is right around the corner!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you think bi 5 will run on a windows home server 2011 (WHS2011) ?

I really do not care about Microsoft support. The machine and software does the job. I will stay at the current level of bi if needed.

Also I really do not like windows 10. I have it on my wife's laptop and it drives me nuts.
It is based on Server 2008 R2 and W7 so at a guess and it would be guess I'd say no.

W10 takes very little time to get used to especially if BI is the main software that you'll be using on it. I personally hated W10 and left all my machines at home on W7 until I really had to upgrade and now I find it just as good if not better then W7. After a fresh install it does take a few days for it to settle down due to all the crazy caching it does but on my BI server I disabled all of that straight after installing the OS so it's been usable straight after the install.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Do you think bi 5 will run on a windows home server 2011 (WHS2011) ?

I really do not care about Microsoft support. The machine and software does the job. I will stay at the current level of bi if needed.

Also I really do not like windows 10. I have it on my wife's laptop and it drives me nuts.
Just a quick (dare I say the word) Google of it, and you'll find that changing Windows 10 to look like an earlier version really isn't that big of a deal...

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a quick (dare I say the word) Google of it, and you'll find that changing Windows 10 to look like an earlier version really isn't that big of a deal...
I've never used these add ons but once you get used to the new Start Menu and it's search feature having the Start menu look like W7 or even XP becomes a non event in my opinion.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am retired. I have 50+ years as a software engineer. I hate the auto windows update. Also windows as a service. It crashed my wifa windows 10 laptop. I just do not want to deal with shit if I do not have too. So I will not be upgrading to BI 5.0 at this time, may be when the hardware dies.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I am retired. I have 50+ years as a software engineer. I hate the auto windows update. Also windows as a service. It crashed my wifa windows 10 laptop. I just do not want to deal with shit if I do not have too. So I will not be upgrading to BI 5.0 at this time, may be when the hardware dies.
I do agree with the Windows as a Service comments and the updates being forced on you. Like you I also don't like stuff being forced down my throat.

eleazar

n3wb
Reaction score
This is great news!

I am on the trial for BI4 right now, and was just planning on buying my license today. Does anyone know if I will still get the free v5 upgrade if I purchase from a 3rd party? (I have a credit to use at amcrest.com so I was planning to order from there)

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is great news!

I am on the trial for BI4 right now, and was just planning on buying my license today. Does anyone know if I will still get the free v5 upgrade if I purchase from a 3rd party? (I have a credit to use at amcrest.com so I was planning to order from there)
Yes you will qualify for a free upgrade if you purchase BI any time after the announcement was made and before June 1, according to the release notes for BI5.

eleazar

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes you will qualify for a free upgrade if you purchase BI any time after the announcement was made and before June 1, according to the release notes for BI5.
Thanks! Just wanted to confirm :)

griffths

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Keep in mind the following:

Dec 3rd, 2017 - Classic Shell is no longer actively developed
After 8 years I have decided to stop developing Classic Shell. The source code for the latest version is released on SourceForge. More details here.

tf9623

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually this is good news - this is actually being proactive because you don't want something that requires features of a dead or dying OS. If you or any new BI customers go out and buy a retail PC today what does it come with? Do you want to say "by the way, go in and install dot net 3.5 and this-and-that from the Win 7 days and this or that hack? No - and since 10 is the standard as has been pointed out was released four years ago its time to move on. I started with with an acoustic couple and teletype machine then 300 baud then 1200 baud and so on but the world has changed. It will continue to change. If you are playing this game it is expensive and you know that so let's be happy that we can milk features that are in 10 that you couldn't dream of in 7. What about having a containerized BI delivered to you? WIndows 10 - check. The fact that I am running 18 cameras on a middle of the road i5 8th gen at 12-14% CPU is simply amazing.

Why do updates get forced? They aren't updates. The model is different. 1803 which was released in March of 2018 was superseded by 1809 which was - you guessed it - September. At any moment we'll see a 1903. Same with Office. This is a whole new operating system that you're getting. That's why if you run cleanmgr.exe and drill into system files you are given the option to "delete previous Windows installations" - now instead of service packs or patches here and there twice a year (unless you choose LTSB) we have a new release. The days of grand projects and "gold" releases are over - we're in a constant update/release world.

Another issue is drivers - newer hardware simply does not ship with Windows 7 drivers. Technically Intel 7th gen and above isn't supported for 7. Are you aware of these things? Go pick a random new Dell or HP with 8th gen hardware (which is what they're selling) and go and see if can download Windows 7 drivers - in lots of cases you can't. I know this - I do this for a living. Google HP driver packs and Dell driver packs. In an enterprise and the reason you buy enterprise equipment (Optiplex for example) is that drivers are for a "family" of machines not per model. I'm getting off topic here but this is a good thing and a proactive thing and waiting four years to say "look we just can't support 7 anymore" isn't unreasonable at all. Blue Iris would be a heck of a deal for 500.00 versus what they charge.

End of rant - you don't know how bad it sucks when you have 26000 machines to take care of and some subset of machines uses obscure software that MUST run on old stuff - its a pain.

I'm not being argumentative or insulting and I don't want it to sound like that and like some other folks have said - if what you have works then who cares? Its like if you don't like whatever is on a TV channel then change the channel.

What are the system requirements of competing systems? Do they require proprietary hardware? Look - the BI folks - like MS - have to work with the least common denominator because they have no idea what all is out there and they're doing a great job. If they sold the hardware and it only ran on the hardware and they controlled that there would be so much more that could be done but it wouldn't be 49.95 like it is now..

I'm happy with BI and try to get everyone on board that I can. Another thing - read the forums here - there is a 99% chance is has already been answered.

Fenderman isn't FOS - he knows his stuff - everything he says is true and he's right. I built a BI for someone with 10 cameras on an 8th gen i3 and it runs < 20% - 6 fps, 5 fps previews - all the things they have talked about or that is in the Wiki.

At an enterprise level if you walked up to me today and tried to sell me something that required 7 I'd not be interested. Again - I will close to re-iterate - there will less and less driver support for 7 moving forward. This requiring 10 is a good and proactive thing. The 10 of today isn't the same as the 14xx or 15xx versions - who 'nother animal with same name. Its getting better - I can run a container of Linux and share the IP - I have sftp and ssh at my command line in 10 - this is coming from Microsoft of all people.

Here's what I do - first off I always customize the default user profile. For your old-school programs simply make a shortcut to your old start menu:

Right-click anywhere on the desktop and select "New shortcut" and populate the field with C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (cut-and-paste that) and hit next and you'll have your old start menu right there. Programdata is hidden but that shortcut works as long as your Windows install is on C:

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep in mind the following:

Dec 3rd, 2017 - Classic Shell is no longer actively developed
After 8 years I have decided to stop developing Classic Shell. The source code for the latest version is released on SourceForge. More details here.
The most active fork of classic shell is now Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu
I've always had the latest version of Classic Shell installed, always had the latest build of Win10. There are no bugs in CS and it keeps working with every new W10 build. I didn't even know until yesterday that the CS was not developed anymore. On the other hand, I see lots of bugs reported for Open Shell. I will keep using the Classic Shell until it stops working after some Windows update/upgrade or until I notice bugs. For now it's very stable. I'd recommend it over other options.

HelloAgain

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nice.. so, I purchased BlueIris less than 2 months ago and now I find out that I have to pay again to stay current. Does anyone know if I have any recourse here that doesn't involve me shelling more money to get Version 5?

TCulshaw

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having a problem understanding the upgrade options:
"upgrade keys will be available for purchase"
"prices for new licenses may increase"

As I have V4 and want to upgrade when it becomes available, do I need a new licence @ today's price of $59.99 or do I need an upgrade key? Which will be the cheaper option.

"As prices for new licenses may increase"
I think it's a given that the price for new licences will increase.

Please publish prices as soon as possible as I don't want to discover on 2 June that my only option is a $60+ licence when I could have bought a cheaper one in May.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm having a problem understanding the upgrade options:
"upgrade keys will be available for purchase"
"prices for new licenses may increase"

As I have V4 and want to upgrade when it becomes available, do I need a new licence @ today's price of $59.99 or do I need an upgrade key? Which will be the cheaper option.

"As prices for new licenses may increase"
I think it's a given that the price for new licences will increase.

Please publish prices as soon as possible as I don't want to discover on 2 June that my only option is a $60+ licence when I could have bought a cheaper one in May.
Go back and read it again.