Blue Iris Version 5 is right around the corner!

Reaction score
Blue Iris 5 has an expected release date of June 1, 2019! Beginning today, a new purchase of version 4 includes a free upgrade to version 5. For older purchases, the upgrade is also complimentary if you have added Extended or Priority support to your license expiring after June 1 (see the Options page in the software for this information). For those not on support and maintenance, upgrade keys will be available for purchase as well. As prices for new licenses may increase, it will likely be more economical to purchase a new license or support and maintenance plan before June 1. If you have not already done so, upgrade your system to Windows 10 (or at least 8.1) to insure compatibility. And, be sure to watch for additional posts with sneak previews of new functionality and design!

The post Version 5 is right around the corner! appeared first on Blue Iris.

Last edited by a moderator:

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I understand correctly you can buy support now for $29.95 and the upgrade will be included.

............the upgrade is also complimentary if you have added Extended or Priority support to your license expiring after June 1 (see the Options page in the software for this information)............

skiocink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My license expired 7 days ago. How much to uprgade before 1st June? I cant find info on your website. Obviously full version...

griffths

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does purchasing extended support add to the duration of my current license or do I loose the 9 months of time I currently have until my support expires?

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does purchasing extended support add to the duration of my current license or do I loose the 9 months of time I currently have until my support expires?
Why would you want to do that?

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, it will add. So you still have your 9 months, plus the new year from the renewal.

griffths

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why would you want to do that?
Would like to move to version 5 when it is released but I bought my current version outside of the 30 day "major upgrade protection" window so my only choice it to pay for extended support at this point OR wait until next December when my basic support runs out and then pay for an extended support contract.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Would like to move to version 5 when it is released but I bought my current version outside of the 30 day "major upgrade protection" window so my only choice it to pay for extended support at this point OR wait until next December when my basic support runs out and then pay for an extended support contract.
Got it. Makes sense now. You didn't "add" extended support, you're still on the support that came with the original purchase.

gpilot

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all...

This will eventually come up so I will risk it....

Why is Blue Iris going to "enforce" an "upgrade" to Win 8.1 or 10? For many, Win 10 is not an upgrade but a hinderance, poor UI, (yes it can be tweaked but why the extra work) and the constant telemetry (yes it can be blocked..but more work).

What does 10 do which 7 does not? Putting the UI aside, I can't see any reason to upgrade, notwithstanding the end of support from MS.

For me, and many power users, the "simple" metroesque UI removes or hides features, is cumbersome, ugly and not desirable. Just like the "updates" to Firefox, and many other software packages. In an attempt to appeal to everyone, features and customizations are removed or buried deeply.

I, for one, will be moving fully to Linux (debian) when W7 support ends.

Blue Iris (Ken), any plans for a 'nix version????

Just my .02

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all...

Why is Blue Iris going to "enforce" an "upgrade" to Win 8.1 or 10? For many, Win 10 is not an upgrade but a hinderance, poor UI, (yes it can be tweaked but why the extra work) and the constant telemetry (yes it can be blocked..but more work).

What does 10 do which 7 does not? Putting the UI aside, I can't see any reason to upgrade, notwithstanding the end of support from MS.

For me, and many power users, the "simple" metroesque UI removes or hides features, is cumbersome, ugly and not desirable. Just like the "updates" to Firefox, and many other software packages. In an attempt to appeal to everyone, features and customizations are removed or buried deeply.

Just my .02
They aren't forcing you to do anything. If you are happy with BI 4, it will continue to work just as it has.
No one says you have to upgrade to BI 5.
Bi is a one man shop, I'm sure he's killing old OS support to cut down on the support effort.
Win 10 works just fine with BI, you shouldn't be doing anything else on the BI PC anyway.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
They aren't forcing you to do anything. If you are happy with BI 4, it will continue to work just as it has.
No one says you have to upgrade to BI 5.
Bi is a one man shop, I'm sure he's killing old OS support to cut down on the support effort.
Win 10 works just fine with BI, you shouldn't be doing anything else on the BI PC anyway.
Also, Windows 7 has a scheduled EOL (End Of Life) on Jan 14, 2020 and will not be receiving any security updates and will not be supported by Microsoft thereafter, whereas 8.1's scheduled EOL is 2023 so it makes sense for Ken to drop support for Windows 7 for that reason alone. If he is shooting to release BI5 in June and Microsoft is killing Windows 7 shortly after, then this could create all sorts of issues for BI if 7 was still supported by BI.

I understand your frustration @gpilot but look at it from the developers standpoint. Plus who knows, BI5 may have features that Windows 7 and below simply can't support or handle.

As @looney2ns said, if v4 is working for you then by all means stick with v4. Lots of people stuck with v3 after 4 was launched, however they mostly seemed to migrate to 4 eventually.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all...

Just my .02
Lets use some logic, do you think he would end support if he didnt have to?
Windows 7 is already not fully compatible with BI4 with respect to running as a service and hardware acceleration.
Windows 10 is a great os and can be easily customized. You can remove change the UI to look and work like w7 is 30 seconds.
There wont be a linux version. There are many linux based vms. Check them out.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you think bi 5 will run on a windows home server 2011 (WHS2011) ?

I really do not care about Microsoft support. The machine and software does the job. I will stay at the current level of bi if needed.

Also I really do not like windows 10. I have it on my wife's laptop and it drives me nuts.