Blue Iris Video Tutorials

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Too much conflict. What is best? And Is openvpn necessary?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Best (safest) : VPN like openvpn

This is probably harder to setup as it needs to be configured on all your devices like your smartphones/tablets. Also, most ISP provided routers from ATT, Specrum ect do not support vpn and you would need to purchase a different router or update the router firmware manually. There are other ways to setup a vpn but not going to get into that.

Easier but not as safe: port forwarding

You just need to configure port forwarding on your home router and your done. No additional setup required on your phones/tablets.

And no, I am not going to do a video at this time on how to setup a vpn or port forward. If you really need help I do offer remote support and can do it for you:

Blue Iris Support

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would anyone be able to demo the new iOS mobile app feature "Rich push notifications in GIF format" for BI that was released in v1.62.06 a few weeks ago? I don't have BI yet and would love to see how well this works.
A big thank-you in advance!

By the way, @Dasstrum great, super helpful videos!

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would anyone be able to demo the new iOS mobile app feature "Rich push notifications in GIF format" for BI that was released in v1.62.06 a few weeks ago? I don't have BI yet and would love to see how well this works. I'm curious if it's similar to how this feature works: A big thank-you in advance!

By the way, @Dasstrum great, super helpful videos!
Perhaps start a new thread for that :D

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wait, just looked at patch notes and it is for android... hmmm might need to do a video on this then!

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wait, just looked at patch notes and it is for android... hmmm might need to do a video on this then!
That'd be awesome! I'm curious if the GIF can give you an idea of what triggered the alert without having to launch into the app.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys! After MUCH request I have decided to make a video on setting up Blue Iris with Stunnel / OpenVPN / Port Forwarding

Please note that up till a few weeks ago I was not very familiar with OpenVPN and as of today I am not familiar with Stunnel. I have spent a great deal of time educating myself on each of the options and I will do my best to describe the advantages/disadvantages to each setup.

RicRat2009

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hopefully this video doesn't create more questions than it answers lol

Trying to figure this out, when I click "Test", PTZ camera does not move and a box pops up stating "received xxxxxx bytes".
When I paste the command in Chrome the UI login comes up, if I login then the camera moves.

Command entered in Chrome: 192.168.1.7:81/admin?camera=PTZ&preset=11&user=xxxx&pw=xxxx

Command in Chrome.jpg

After login this appears and the camera moves.
After Login UI.jpg

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to figure this out, when I click "Test", PTZ camera does not move and a box pops up stating "received xxxxxx bytes".
When I paste the command in Chrome the UI login comes up, if I login then the camera moves.

Command entered in Chrome: 192.168.1.7:81/admin?camera=PTZ&preset=11&user=xxxx&pw=xxxx

View attachment 36612

View attachment 36613
Make sure the account your using is an administrator account

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using the correct camera "shortname"? In the screenshot it says DahuaPTZ and in the command you only put PTZ

RicRat2009

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you using the correct camera "shortname"? In the screenshot it says DahuaPTZ and in the command you only put PTZ
So this is what I've done.

Cloned a camera and set up a custom motion detection zone so if motion is detected the PTZ will move and zoom to that zone. Set the PTZ preset for the zone.
I then followed your video to set up the command to control the PTZ.
Now stuck because the PTZ does not respond. If I paste the command in Chrome, the UI login comes up. If I login, then the PTZ responds and moves to the preset position. So I'm pretty sure the command is OK or it wouldn't respond after login.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

View attachment 36612

View attachment 36613
I was struggling with the same issue when I was trying to change profiles via URL command. I ended up going into Blue Iris Settings > Web Server > Advanced (bottom of web server tab). Then I unchecked "Use Secure Session Keys and Login Page". The URL command works and the only difference I see when using UI3 is that a login pop-up appears instead of the login screen.

I found this through trial and error after playing with several settings, I *think* this was the one setting that made it work, but it could be a combination of something else I also did.

Attachments

RicRat2009

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was struggling with the same issue when I was trying to change profiles via URL command. I ended up going into Blue Iris Settings > Web Server > Advanced (bottom of web server tab). Then I unchecked "Use Secure Session Keys and Login Page". The URL command works and the only difference I see when using UI3 is that a login pop-up appears instead of the login screen.

I found this through trial and error after playing with several settings, I *think* this was the one setting that made it work, but it could be a combination of something else I also did.
Thanks @th182 that did the trick. It is working as expected.
Also, didn't change the UI3 login, same as it ever was.