BlueIris decides to delete all of my videos (5.8.0.7, PSA)?

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fair enough. Can be nice and not so thorny. There’s something about losing important security data that is extremely maddening.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Too easy... just keep to the latest STABLE version... Done...
Listen man I had the latest stable. I have had it for over a year. After having awful memory leaks I went up. I don’t know if or how to go back and didn’t see an option to roll back or if it was safe. Regardless my stuff is gone. I’m pissed.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Fair enough. Can be nice and not so thorny. There’s something about losing important security data that is extremely maddening.
Did you actually lose all the BVR files or just the thumbnail alerts?

Like you open the little folder below on your console and go to the folder you save your video and it wiped it completely out?

Don't get me wrong, even losing the thumbnails and pointers to the BVR files sucks because it makes scrubbing video even more difficult, but knock on wood I have never actually had the BVR files disappear except for as they are supposed to when they are written over as the drive fills.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You seriously don't even know how to roll back??? Wow, just... wow...
I maintain quite a bit of things (software, hardware, and my entire home). I’ve never had such a disaster and needed to go backwards and with the database no ideas if that is possible. In the almost decade I’ve ran blue iris I’ve never experienced anything like this. Stable wasn’t stable and the options presented we move up. It’s not called beta and if it was it shouldn’t be offered that way. I still won’t accept responsibility despite your best efforts in shaming me.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes, I get that you don't take responsibility for your actions. There's a reason for Critical updates and there's the choice of latest updates. Your choice (hey... YOUR responsibility!).

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you actually lose all the BVR files or just the thumbnail alerts?

Like you open the little folder below on your console and go to the folder you save your video and it wiped it completely out?

Don't get me wrong, even losing the thumbnails and pointers to the BVR files sucks because it makes scrubbing video even more difficult, but knock on wood I have never actually had the BVR files disappear except for as they are supposed to when they are written over as the drive fills.
Files are deleted

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I maintain quite a bit of things (software, hardware, and my entire home). I’ve never had such a disaster and needed to go backwards and with the database no ideas if that is possible. In the almost decade I’ve ran blue iris I’ve never experienced anything like this. Stable wasn’t stable and the options presented we move up. It’s not called beta and if it was it shouldn’t be offered that way. I still won’t accept responsibility despite your best efforts in shaming me.
Then dont accept responsibility...keep bitching like a little girl...Unfortunately for you the blue iris developer assumes an IQ of at least 80. I have said for years that this is a mistake. Someone with an 80+ IQ would see a stable option and the latest option and conclude by simple deduction that the latest option is not stable or beta. The latest release option should come with a warning that says "dumb fuck, dont install this on a production system because you will have issues"
I though you found a frigate that is perfect and NEVER has any issues:rolleyes:....just use that and be forever blissfully happy.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well the fact that you say "bitching like a little girl" depicts the type of person we are dealing with. Keep it classy

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not going to defend the issue that recordings just stop when database maintenance is happening because that is a shit design plan in my opinion. But I have three BI installations at three different locations all running his latest stable since September and I have no memory leak issues on any of these three systems. One of the systems hasn't even been rebooted in over 4 months!

I just wonder if something else was going on with your installation not necessarily related to a BI issue.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is a dedicated machine running blue virus. Nothing else is on it. Window Defender is even off. Nothing else on it. 32 gigs of memory and 12th gen i7. Its a beast of a machine. I do have about 25 cameras on it. I was getting killed. I restarted BV at 10 pm after the memory leaks were absolutely killing the machine. that didn't work so I went up. I don't know when the files were deleted but I have nothing before October 2nd on my SAN. I tell it to never delete files from storage.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not going to defend the issue that recordings just stop when database maintenance is happening because that is a shit design plan in my opinion. But I have three BI installations at three different locations all running his latest stable since September and I have no memory leak issues on any of these three systems. One of the systems hasn't even been rebooted in over 4 months!

I just wonder if something else was going on with your installation not necessarily related to a BI issue.
This is the main issue isn’t it? That every bodies systems are so different that what might be a stable release for you might not be for others?

For example, I remember looney standing up a system for his daughter and that suffered from problems that just couldn’t be explained or fixed.

I don’t tend to ever upgrade and over 18 months ago I had issues where the BI service would just randomly crash and restart, support couldn’t fix the issue and the only way it was fixed for me was to wait until the next stable and eventually one resolved the issue.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

This exactly.

With the exception of someone setting up multiple systems at the exact same time with the exact same hardware and the exact same software updates, not many people are running the exact same system as anyone else.

Compare that to an NVR that is a stand alone unit and that for a particular model everyone has the EXACT SAME THING and look at the issues that happen with some firmware updates. And that is with what should be a controlled system that the NVR firmware developer is working with.

Contrast that with BI. We have people using it on stand alone machines from a 3rd gen Intel up to most recent. Others are running on AMD or some other chip. Some are running it on laptops, while others are on a NUC. Some are doing is as a VM. And then everyone is running different versions of Windows - some are using Windows 7, heck some may be on something older. Even Windows 10 has various versions. And some are on Windows 11. Some use it as a stand-alone system, while others use the computer as their daily unit. Some stop all Windows updates while others let them happen.

There are countless variations of hardware/software setups that BI is being used with. It is amazing the software works as well as it does with all this variation.

All the BI developer can do is make changes and run it on his system and if it works, he sends it out for others to try with their specific setup. Then he gets the feedback and makes changes and once the issues stop being reported, it gets labeled as a stable version and he moves to the next set of improvements and bug fixes.

1959hw

n3wb
Reaction score
Some things...

a) What good are the critical updates if they incorporate this bug? Did they not have the bug?

b) The files are gone.

c) I don't know why some people are offended by my post. I'm perfectly aware this is not blue iris support.

d) I just signed up, why does that matter? I searched for 'blue iris deleted all video' and wound up here. Thought I'd share my experience.

e) Still, this is unacceptable.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is a dedicated machine running blue virus. Nothing else is on it. Window Defender is even off. Nothing else on it. 32 gigs of memory and 12th gen i7. Its a beast of a machine. I do have about 25 cameras on it. I was getting killed. I restarted BV at 10 pm after the memory leaks were absolutely killing the machine. that didn't work so I went up. I don't know when the files were deleted but I have nothing before October 2nd on my SAN. I tell it to never delete files from storage.
The recordings are gone so unfortunately there isn't anything you can do about that now, but moving forward, it would be good to find the cause to fix your issue.

Are windows updates turned off? Did one sneak in and screw up a driver?

Are you using CodeProject and if so maybe Python instances were not closing out and creeping up the memory.

As you were experiencing these memory creeps, did you open up Task Manager to see what was causing it?

Folks run more cameras on lessor machines than you without an issue.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
people drink the Kool-Aid and feel the need to defend. I would look at frigate - for real. It isn't perfect and there isn't an app for the iPhone - but I like the interface a lot better and find it much more intuitive.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The recordings are gone so unfortunately there isn't anything you can do about that now, but moving forward, it would be good to find the cause to fix your issue.

Are windows updates turned off? Did one sneak in and screw up a driver?

Are you using CodeProject and if so maybe Python instances were not closing out and creeping up the memory.

As you were experiencing these memory creeps, did you open up Task Manager to see what was causing it?

Folks run more cameras on lessor machines than you without an issue.

I do install critical updates on windows. I don't run code project (not even sure what that is) this machine does nothing but run blue iris- nothing. I want records to be rock solid. It needs to be dependable. It hasn't been and I've been burned and its taking a long time to heal.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
people drink the Kool-Aid and feel the need to defend. I would look at frigate - for real. It isn't perfect and there isn't an app for the iPhone - but I like the interface a lot better and find it much more intuitive.
Yes and like every other software has issues as well....I have over 20 systems running BI and because I dont suffer update OCD my systems run flawlessly. Screenshots of two magic systems. Not crashing.

Attachments

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why is it that all blue iris users dont suffer this issue..hmmmmmmmm. There is thousands of BI users on this site and a few with a memory leak that is easily resolved.
As I indicated before frigate is far from problem free. Every piece of software relies on its user.

Last edited: