BlueIris on your TV!

Dc4

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the video walkthrough Matthew!

To Matt, or anyone else running the BI app on a FireTV: How is the stability for you guys? I’m hoping to just simply leave my FireStick BI app up and on my ‘all cams’ group pretty much always so I can just quickly change inputs on my TV for a quick view whenever I want. So far it’s crashed once, but I’ve since changed a few FireTV settings and now the app has been up and running fine for 20 minutes or so. It seems to flash every now and then but is fine otherwise.

I will report back after I try it for a while.

I typically use Roku devices for Plex and other streaming duties but I have this FireStick 4K laying around and figured why not side load the BI app. Aside from fumbling around with the remote on an app designed for a touch screen it’s been great.

Edit: Woa, UI3 on the Amazon Silk browser works great too. Looks even better than the BI app directly. I was able to select the 4K stream (lol) and the quality is great. Seems more stable too.

Last edited:

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting thought about using a Fire TV stick with UI3 via the Silk browser. How does navigation work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dc4

n3wb
Reaction score
The browser has a built in mouse feature where a dot appears and you navigate it around just using the direction arrows on the remote. Works great. Little clumsy but works great.

Another option is a blue tooth mouse & keyboard combo I was checking out last night.

That was actually one of the biggest problems I had with the BI app, the navigation. I tried side loading the Mouse Toggle app to fix this but couldn’t get it working due to having a 4K Fire Stick. Apparently there are some extra steps you have to do to get it to work on the 4K units.

UI3 on the Silk browser almost seems to work better though. It’s very clear and looks great. All the same features that make it great on any other device. Very stable with no flashes or glitches. I have had it running now all night long and switch sources on my TV every now and then and it’s right there up and running every time.

Edit: I created a direct bookmark app/icon on my FireTV home screen with the UI3 maximize full screen URL, set the login timeout to 0 and also disabled the screensaver on the FireStick. Going on like 8 hours with no problems.

Last edited:

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m attempting to follow Matthew Hudnalls instructions on installing BI on a Amazon fire stick. For some reason I can’t download the android version of the BI APK file onto my windows PC. It keeps telling me I don’t have a device attached for the app. This is from the google play store. Can someone explain to me how to download the APK file? I don’t have any android devices. Thanks

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use that on my iPad how would one do that on the Amazon Fire stick? No browser on my cheap TV.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m attempting to follow Matthew Hudnalls instructions on installing BI on a Amazon fire stick. For some reason I can’t download the android version of the BI APK file onto my windows PC. It keeps telling me I don’t have a device attached for the app. This is from the google play store. Can someone explain to me how to download the APK file? I don’t have any android devices. Thanks
I just use the ui3.htm in the default silk browser.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
DLONG2 I use that to view my cameras with an iPad. How would one accomplish that on an Amazon Fire Stick? My cheap TV doesn’t have a browser.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
DLONG2 I use that to view my cameras with an iPad. How would one accomplish that on an Amazon Fire Stick? My cheap TV doesn’t have a browser.
My Amazon Fire Stick came with a built in Silk browser. Do you see it when you load up the Fire Stick?

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
DLONG2

Never explored the stick much except for TV. My god it’s full of stuff and I did find the Silk browser. It’s under an “internet” icon. Theres also tiny cam pro which I’ve seen in the site here. Looks like I’ll be busy for a while exploring. Thanks or pointing me in the right direction.

I’m looking for an app that you can just click and the cameras come up. Something very simple.

Thanks again. I’m old and slow but I’ll get there

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
The browser page which comes with Blue Iris has all the features I would need for casual viewing when needed. For any admin function, I use the Blue Iris PC directly, where the app is installed at. Once you have the ui3.htm running on the Silk browser, make sure to go to the settings so that the "UI will close itself after . . " zero minutes. Also, in the Blue Iris app, create a user just for the Fire Stick with admin privileges, in case your cameras have PTZ controls.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
DLONG2

Thanks for the assistance got everything working in the silk browser. My only concern is the video quality. It’s horrible. The TV is 32 inch 1080 at best. No matter what setting I use it’s still bad video. Any solution other than buying a new tv? Thanks

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure. In my 4k tv the quality is good, but there's a periodic flutter of the image, maybe every 15-20 seconds.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bob2701 that would be to much work to access another tv, everything else is Roku. On all other devices the image is terrific. I was just seeing if it would work on a tv. I’ll just stick with my other devices. The tv just isn’t working out for some reason.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bob2701 that would be to much work to access another tv, everything else is Roku. On all other devices the image is terrific. I was just seeing if it would work on a tv. I’ll just stick with my other devices. The tv just isn’t working out for some reason.
?? You can't just plug the Firestick into a different TV and test? Unplug the Roku and substitute the Firestick.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All are wall mounted and hard to get at. Sorry giomania and bob but some people have disabilities that make certain tasks very difficult. Not as easy as pushing a like or dislike button. You may get there some day let’s just hope you don’t.

I installed tinycam pro and it produced a great picture using this app. Not as user friendly as others but serves my purpose to view my cameras on a bigger screen.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All are wall mounted and hard to get at. Sorry giomania and bob but some people have disabilities that make certain tasks very difficult. Not as easy as pushing a like or dislike button. You may get there some day let’s just hope you don’t.

I installed tinycam pro and it produced a great picture using this app. Not as user friendly as others but serves my purpose to view my cameras on a bigger screen.
My apologies. My intent was only to applaud the suggestion, as sometimes we miss the basics in troubleshooting frustrating issues.

Last weekend I was on the floor struggling to plug in a Fire TV Stick and HDMI cables into a wall-mounted TV, so I get it.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Arg... call me a dumb dumb... but I downloaded the SDK Platform Tools for windows. I have unzipped it. That is as far as I got and I even put my glasses on to see better. I can't find any files that say BI, Blue Iris, or anything remotely like that.

I got all excited as I was going to grab that apk and side load it into my Nvidia Shield TV so I can watch my cameras on my living room TV that the shield is hooked to.

Little help for a dolt please?

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
The ui3.htm browser page on a TV works well for casual viewing of cameras. Have you tried that to see if it suits your needs?