WTB Bricked Hikvision R0 series (DS-2CD2xx2) IP camera.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
can you help me with my DS-2CD3132 that is in v4.0.8 state after firmware 5.4.0, what to do?
What was the original firmware version and what firmware version was on the label?
Is this a CN camera?

This first thing to try is the Hikvision tftp updater to apply the 'whoslooking 5.3.0 to 5.2.5 downgrader'
The instructions and the tftp updater and the firmware can all be found in the link in the first post here : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English
If that brings the camera back to life - good. Though it may have CN menus and need the 'mtd hack' to convert to EN.

If not - then maybe the camera has the 'anti-rollback' 'feature' in which case I have a tool which should help.
Good luck!

Toni

n3wb
Reaction score
What was the original firmware version and what firmware version was on the label?
Is this a CN camera?

This first thing to try is the Hikvision tftp updater to apply the 'whoslooking 5.3.0 to 5.2.5 downgrader'
The instructions and the tftp updater and the firmware can all be found in the link in the first post here : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English
If that brings the camera back to life - good. Though it may have CN menus and need the 'mtd hack' to convert to EN.

If not - then maybe the camera has the 'anti-rollback' 'feature' in which case I have a tool which should help.
Good luck!
Yes it's a CN and 5.3.0 on the label, tftp downgrade doesn't help.

Toni

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, if the tftp updater was set up properly that suggests you could make use of the 'brick-fix' tool.
Instructions in 'conversations'.
Great thank you very much, now I have 5.2.5 version and can browse to it but don't understand how to change the language to English, can you give me a link to the "mtd hack" that I can use? There is to much information in this forum, getting confused. Do you know if there is a newer firmware that can be applied on this camera?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, well done!
My original 'WTB' thread is turning into a regular 'How to brick-fix and upgrade' thread. Maybe @fenderman might prefer to relocate it out of the Classifieds lol!
You have at least a couple of choices for next steps;
There is the classic 'mtd hack' which will convert the 5.2.5 camera to EN, and might make it upgradable, though this varies with when the camera was manufactured.
*edit* Sorry - I thought I'd put the link in. Hikvision 5.2.5 & 5.2.8 Full English (INC DAYS OF WEEK) mtd Hack

Then there is an enhanced mtd hack, which has been pretty good in allowing cameras to be updated all the way to the EN/ML 5.4.5 firmware.
This involves taking a copy of the firmware partition mtdblock6, doing a couple of tweaks (I can do this for you), and putting it back.
The EN/ML firmware can be found here : DOWNLOAD PORTAL
If you decide you want to do that - and accept a small risk - I'll send you instructions via 'Conversations'.

Last edited:

Toni

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, well done!
My original 'WTB' thread is turning into a regular 'How to brick-fix and upgrade' thread. Maybe @fenderman might prefer to relocate it out of the Classifieds lol!
You have at least a couple of choices for next steps;
There is the classic 'mtd hack' which will convert the 5.2.5 camera to EN, and might make it upgradable, though this varies with when the camera was manufactured.
*edit* Sorry - I thought I'd put the link in. Hikvision 5.2.5 & 5.2.8 Full English (INC DAYS OF WEEK) mtd Hack

Then there is an enhanced mtd hack, which has been pretty good in allowing cameras to be updated all the way to the EN/ML 5.4.5 firmware.
This involves taking a copy of the firmware partition mtdblock6, doing a couple of tweaks (I can do this for you), and putting it back.
The EN/ML firmware can be found here : DOWNLOAD PORTAL
If you decide you want to do that - and accept a small risk - I'll send you instructions via 'Conversations'.
Thank you I have english now, I can try the enhanced mtd hack, please send me the instructions.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done on doing the 'mtd hack' to get EN menus.
And for extracting mtdblock6 - the modified version is back with you now.
Good luck!

scheka

n3wb
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson can you help me update my cam 2cd2032-i to 5.4.5 from CN 5.2.5. i have already bricked my cam during updating to 5.3.0 and could successful return back to live it. now i have again 5.2.5. as only english language

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad to have been able to help.
Well done for getting the camera unbricked.
Next steps - the 'enhanced mtd hack' to allow full EN/ML firmware updating.

Reaction score
Dear Alastairstevenson, I need you help.
I have a DS-2CD2432F-IW (China v5.3.0) . It was bricked by me during an update to EN v.5.4.5. All my attempts to restore the firmware to previous state were unsuccessful. Now I can only hope for your help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It was bricked by me during an update to EN v.5.4.5
That suggests you may be in the Catch-22 situation of 'the new firmware doesn't like the camera, but the anti-rollback is stopping installation of older firmware to fix it'.
There's a pretty good chance the 'brick-fix tool' will allow recovery to the 'whoslooking 5.3.0 to 5.2.5 downgrader' firmware, following which either the classic 'mtd hack' to get back to EN menus, or the 'enhanced mtd hack' to make it upgradable should work.
Hikvision DS-2CD2x32-I (R0) brick-fix tool / full upgrade method / fixup roundup.

Reaction score
Thank you so much, master :)
After some manipulations, the camera started again with firmware 5.2.5. It's strange, but the language of the camera is English now.
I was hoping to see Multilang, because Eng is not my native language. Unfortunately I didn't understand how to use the hex editor to the change mtd6. I am full noob for this stuff((

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, well done for getting the camera working again.
Unfortunately I didn't understand how to use the hex editor to the change mtd6
If you feel comfortable pulling out a copy of mtdblock6, you could zip it and send via 'Conversations', I could tweak it for you, you could re-apply it and try for the updates to EN/ML firmware.
I'd also need a copy of the output from the shell command prtHardInfo to get the devType value.
The 5.2.5 firmware has telnet and SSH access, can be enabled via the web GUI.

CCTV

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am.
I'm checking eBay pretty regularly for 'Hikvision not working / parts' or similar, looking for 'bricked' cameras people have given up on.
I did buy a 2332 that was being sold for spares as it had simply stopped working - but it was a LAN cable fault that I managed to fix.

On your camera - did you go direct from 5.2.5 to 5.4.5 ? If so, according to the Hikvision change log, that can cause problems.
Easy enough to do, and worth trying if you haven't already done so, is the Hikvision tftp updater with the '5.2.5 downgrader' firmware from here : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English
Use the first link, not the 4-line version. Usage instructions are included.
Let me know if you need Hikvision dummy ca
Well, I'd certainly be interested in trying to find out why those upgrade steps bricked it

--Simple make it rule:
If your camera is "COMPATIBLE" with firmware 5. 4, then you can upgrade using certain rules:
1- you must be at least on firmware 5.3.8 before upgrading
2- YOU CAN NOT DOWNGRADE ONCE YOU UPGRADE TO V. 5.4

If your camera stuck in the boot loop, that means either it wasn't compatible with firmware 5 . 4 or the firmware was not 5.3.8 before upgrading.
In case the camera bricked while upgrading to v 5. 4 , the possibility to get it back is about 20% and bit complex.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
-Simple make it rule:
If your camera is "COMPATIBLE" with firmware 5. 4, then you can upgrade using certain rules:
1- you must be at least on firmware 5.3.8 before upgrading
2- YOU CAN NOT DOWNGRADE ONCE YOU UPGRADE TO V. 5.4

If your camera stuck in the boot loop, that means either it wasn't compatible with firmware 5 . 4 or the firmware was not 5.3.8 before upgrading.
In case the camera bricked while upgrading to v 5. 4 , the possibility to get it back is about 20% and bit complex.
Where did that come from?
Not my quote - and not true either ... see the link in my signature.