Budget Dahua Cams or china alternatives under $100?

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Luckily we have this Dahua firmware Amcrest on the forum or their websites chat support never responded. I thought I had a issue and wanted to reinstall the original firmware and asked if there's a updated firmware the chat support said they would escalate my inquiry and get back to me.

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There might be a reason why the most recent firmware is not published on dahua website.
Probably they release it for distributors first so they maybe test it.
So use at your own risk. As always.

Reaction score
Looking to get into setting up cams for the first time, and am trying to keep costs down for now. I have a question, if you guys could help.

Are all Amcrest cams actually dauha or is it just this one specifically? I am looking for this turret style to use indoors and on the porch, but would like to use bullets outside and a large PTZ with very high zoom capability to setup at the peek of my roof just for fun.

I am willing to go a little higher than the cost of these ones for better quality, if it is a decent jump in quality. Maybe somewhere in the $100-$150 range per camera, excluding the large PTZ. I assume that will cost $300-$500?

SirMilo

n3wb
Reaction score
Jebusfreek666,

Many Amcrest cameras are rebadged Dahua but I don't think all of them are- I could however be mistaken though. The firmware on the Amcrest will be stripped down and missing options compared to the Dahua version.
I will leave it to the members with more knowledge to discuss whether these cams will meet your needs.

And in case anyone cares, the promo code that TonyR listed for $10 off was still functioning as of late last night. Thanks @TonyR.

Reaction score
would like to use bullets outside and a large PTZ with very high zoom capability to setup at the peek of my roof just for fun.
Read the Cliff Notes. Especially the parts about camera style choices.

Trying to keep costs down yet a PTZ w/very high zoom just for fun? You need to really decide what you want from your camera system. That statement is at odds with your stated objective of wanting to keep costs down.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for this turret style to use indoors and on the porch, but would like to use bullets outside and a large PTZ with very high zoom capability to setup at the peek of my roof just for fun.
Others have already answered regarding the OEM of Amcrest; I'll leave the outdoor PTZ answers to others as well (I don't have one).

I will say, however, please reconsider using bullets outdoors, as the IR ring around the lens attracts bugs which prompts enterprising spiders to set up shop there, causing lots of false motion triggers. I'd stick with the turret form factor in their place.

Reaction score
There might be a reason why the most recent firmware is not published on dahua website.
Probably they release it for distributors first so they maybe test it.
So use at your own risk. As always.
Or it’s got special secret squirrel Russia only “features”.
Trying to limit my loss of privacy to my own government and paid sponsors ;)
Loading as I type.

Reaction score
Others have already answered regarding the OEM of Amcrest; I'll leave the outdoor PTZ answers to others as well (I don't have one).

I will say, however, please reconsider using bullets outdoors, as the IR ring around the lens attracts bugs which prompts enterprising spiders to set up shop there, causing lots of false motion triggers. I'd stick with the turret form factor in their place.
Agree Turret is best.
Always wondered if there’s a bug repellent that could be applied? Or maybe automotive ceramic coating to make them too slippery. Though bugs can walk up glass so.....

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had experience with Amcrest IP8M-T2499EW ($100) which can be converted to IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE (~$150) iirr
The image quality was good

sstevetx

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered 2 yesterday From Amazon using the promo code and they came in today. Flashed both to the latest Dahua Firmware and factory reset both to get rid of the Amcrest logo. Both seem to be functioning great and can be seen by my NVR which is a Speco I flashed with Dahua firmware.

wackystuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
received mine earlier in the week... converted it to the dahua firmware (2020-03-13 )with no problem..

Reaction score
Just an FYI--- I am having some problem with this Amcrest cam.....

See this thread:

robpiat

n3wb
Reaction score
FYI, today is Tue. 5/26, 13 days since my post #3 above and that promo code LH4QSBYQ still works for $10 off! :p
I just tried it on the 3.6 mm (I already have the 2.8 mm).
Where did you dig up that code? Any chance there is a new one that is valid?