Bullet Mic Review

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the How to in the above link it states:

basically.. PoE Splitter to Mic Power IN, Mic Power Out to camera, Mic Audio out to Camera, and finally Poe Splitter RJ45 to camera.. The RCA Coupler connects the two female outputs of your camera and microphone together, you can see it in the photos.

But being that the Bullet Mic has on power and one RCA, I would guess the correct order is a little different than above.

It would now be PoE Splitter to Mic Power IN, Mic Power Out to camera is " now via the power splitter cord that came with the mic, Mic Audio out to Camera, and finally Poe Splitter RJ45 to camera.. The RCA Coupler connects the two female outputs of your camera and microphone together, you can see it in the photos.

Attachments

Nigel79

n3wb
Reaction score
So before I buy a Mic I want to know if I understand it correctly. If I am powering my Dahua PTZ over POE right from the NVR there won't be enough power to power the mic AND the PTZ??

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This mic requires power, there are no cheap PoE+ splitters that will give you enough power for the Camera, let alone the mic

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine wont work and don't understand why, could be the Icreatine splitter going to try the other one and see if it works.

it should be the POE splitter with the POE into the splitter, the power cord split with the one that come with the mic. That power to the camera and one to the mic and the rca to the audio out on the camera. But it wouldn't power up the camera, so I have the mic on the audio in but no power due to it not working. Guess it could be a bad splitter

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So if your using a PTZ POE + camera, you would need to run an extra Cat6 cable to power the mic?

Nigel79

n3wb
Reaction score
If I mount a mic on the front of my house and power it can I just run the audio output from the mic into the mic input on the back of my 5208NVR that's connected to my TV and just hear what the microphone is picking up all the time on my TV no matter what camera I am watching?

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a way to make this work with just a Cat6 cable connected to a POE source? Stand alone audio over POE?

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I moved to my house the old owner had a CCTV system installed and he left all the wiring. So I found the power adapter. Will this work to power the mic?

Reaction score
@nayr or others.. what audio / codec settings are you using with Dahua IP cams? I have two of these installed together with new starlight domes. One of them is very loud even when volume is set to 1 and other one gives a lot of SHHHH sound and is otherwise pretty silent.. First one is almost unusable as it doesn't work if there is even some wind present, still the sound quality is a lot better..

I'm wondering if the 100 cm rca cable have something to do with the latter.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you see @nayr solution for the wind noise in this thread?
Turn down your speakers you are using to listen to the audio.
If you have "noise reduction" or the like enabled on the cam, try turning it off on the cam that has the SHHH sound.

I just use the default audio codec settings, and works fine.

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What audio settings are you all using?

G.711A
G.711Mu
G.726
AAC

16k or 8k

Noise Filter (enable or off)
Microphone volume (68?)
Speaker Volume (0?)

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From what I understand about getting power to the mic and making it all happy.
The image below shows Nayr's way on the left, in his posted example images. Would the same work if the power is brought in with a transformer adapter and connected like the image on the right, being plugged into 120v ?
Click thumbnail to expand image. Cam Sound Setup.jpg

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From what I understand about getting power to the mic and making it all happy.
The image below shows Nayr's way on the left, in his posted example images. Would the same work if the power is brought in with a transformer adapter and connected like the image on the right, being plugged into 120v ?
Click thumbnail to expand image. View attachment 17369
Sure would. I have set it up that way. This is what I've learned:

Need at least 1A - 12V power supply. When using this 5A PS from Ebay;

12V 5A 60W Power Supply AC to DC Adapter for 5050 3528 Flexible LED Strip Light | eBay

I was getting a ground loop from the mic, no matter if it was connected to the 5231 or the SD59. Switching to a 2 prong -- 1A power supply removed the ground loop, and these mics are super sensitive. Reduced the sensitivity to 30 from the default 50.

SD

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks... I don't have mic sensitivity but I will adjust the mic volume test