Bullet Mic Review

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sure would. I have set it up that way. This is what I've learned:

Need at least 1A - 12V power supply. When using this 5A PS from Ebay;

12V 5A 60W Power Supply AC to DC Adapter for 5050 3528 Flexible LED Strip Light | eBay

I was getting a ground loop from the mic, no matter if it was connected to the 5231 or the SD59. Switching to a 2 prong -- 1A power supply removed the ground loop, and these mics are super sensitive. Reduced the sensitivity to 30 from the default 50.

SD
Have you setup the your mic system for an external outside speaker as well? I am thinking of installing an external speaker, but I am wondering if the audio out (yellow) plug is just for listening to the connected mic on the camera.
My camera and mic right now are set up on BI, but I don't have power supply connected. There is a round green icon showing in R corner in BI on this camera's display, but no sound can be heard from headphones. SO I am imagining that the power supply will change all this to enable listening with headphones or system PC speakers correct?

I ordered
12V 5A 60W Power Supply AC to DC Adapter for 5050 3528 Flexible LED Strip Light | eBay

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you setup the your mic system for an external outside speaker as well? I am thinking of installing an external speaker, but I am wondering if the audio out (yellow) plug is just for listening to the connected mic on the camera.
My camera and mic right now are set up on BI, but I don't have power supply connected. There is a round green icon showing in R corner in BI on this camera's display, but no sound can be heard from headphones. SO I am imagining that the power supply will change all this to enable listening with headphones or system PC speakers correct?

I ordered
I'll state that I have never used Blue Iris, but a bunch of others are pros on the board. I have successfully set up multiple mics with a Dahua 5208-8P and 2 -- 5216-16P NVR's.

I have never connected an external speaker to the camera, but have to the NVR to listen to the playback. It had to be amplified from the back of the NVR, FWIW.

The yellow audio out plug is to connect an external speaker, which you can speak through to anyone listening.

The bullet mic works without power, but is much less sensitive. You should hear something, especially with headphones.

DO NOT use that power supply permanently, as you will get a ground loop (thump, thump, thump, etc). It's fine for testing the camera with external power (not POE), powering PIR's and many other 12v devices at once (60W/5A goes a long way). I could not get rid of the ground loop with that power supply. As stated above, I switched to a 2 prong 1A/12v PS I had laying around and it works fine. I also have used a 12v/500mAh over a 12' run using Cat5e bable for power, without any ground loop interference. I have two of these coming to test with the mics, arriving today.

Amazon.com: ZIUMIER AC to DC 12V 1A Power Supply Wall Adapter,5.5mm x 2.1mm DC Barrel Jack ,Regulated Switching Transformer for LED Strip CCTV Camera Wireless Router, 2 Pack: Home Audio & Theater

I'll let everyone know how they work.

SD

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Thanks for your input @Solar Deity ! I think my second remote installation doesn't have power to the mic. That must be the reason it's so silent and I need to add volume up to 70 and max out with computer. But I still hear ground loop sounds, is this possible with unpowered mic? It's so weird that the first one is very very clear and loud even with the volume level 1.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for your input @Solar Deity ! I think my second remote installation doesn't have power to the mic. That must be the reason it's so silent and I need to add volume up to 70 and max out with computer. But I still hear ground loop sounds, is this possible with unpowered mic? It's so weird that the first one is very very clear and loud even with the volume level 1.
I wouldn't think you would get a ground loop without power? The power supply introduced the ground loop on my end, in two locations. Switched to two prong both places and it went away.

SD

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,
I find myself with the same problem. I have a Dahua 30x PTZ that is powered by a IEEE802.3at compliant injector and I want to add a 12v microphone with rca plugs to the camera. Has anyone found a IEEE802.3at compliant splitter that will work with this kind of application? And if not,aside from a 12v D.C. corded power supply is there any way to do this?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,
I find myself with the same problem. I have a Dahua 30x PTZ that is powered by a IEEE802.3at compliant injector and I want to add a 12v microphone with rca plugs to the camera. Has anyone found a IEEE802.3at compliant splitter that will work with this kind of application? And if not,aside from a 12v D.C. corded power supply is there any way to do this?
run another POE cable and put a poe splitter on it.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am not particularly tech savvy so be so kind and walk me through this.
I have a Dahua NVR with a couple of unused built in poe inputs. So I would run another cat 5e cable from the NVR to the camera, plug in the 12v splitter to the other end of the cat 5e and then use the an adapter to plug in the rca on the PTZ camera's pigtail, leaving the RJ-45 alone on the splitter. Is that correct?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Dahua NVR with a couple of unused built in poe inputs. So I would run another cat 5e cable from the NVR to the camera, plug in the 12v splitter to the other end of the cat 5e and then use the an adapter to plug in the rca on the PTZ camera's pigtail, leaving the RJ-45 alone on the splitter. Is that correct?
yep, you are only using it for power, and it should be enough to add other things later if you want.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's a bit clunky to stash a PoE splitter outside just for the sake of using PoE.
run a second cable, just hook it to a wall wart and the microphone directly. The mic doesn't draw much power. Only concern / consideration is ground loops and other audible interference. But it's worth trying the simpler cheaper option before you buy a poe splitter.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That sounds like the best solve so far, thank you!
I would have to go about 50 feet from inside to outdoors where the camera is. Do they make wall warts with wiring that long or would I have to buy some kind of extension? As for ground loops or other audible interference concerns, would it be safer to power the mic by cat 5e with a splitter or would I also run the risk of audible interference whatever method I choose?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You'd be running a different cable to the mic, could be cat5e/6 or something else. Most likely connecting power supply via a barrel jack screw terminal adapter.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One more question regarding this. On the camera's pigtail, the accessory wires are not terminated (30X Elite 2MP IP Network Smart PTZ - IPPTZ-EL2IR30X-D2US). What kind of plugs should I get and do they require soldering?

Thanks,
Tubac
no solder needed. Are you planning on connecting them or just protecting them for future use?
If you're connecting them to something I often use skotchloksor this style of gel filled connector. For audio in, you can get RCA to screw terminal adapters.
I wouldn't use skotchloks for power, just some regular waterproof wiernuts if not poe.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I have a camera that doesn't have audio input on it, and I'm using BI, is there a way to send the audio to the server for recording? Have a raspberry pi or something with an audio input that then transmits the data over ethernet?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
The easiest way is to add another cheap IP camera with a built-in mic in close proximity with the existing one and clone the audio from one into the other (Blue Iris does this easily in Camera Properties->Audio->Another camera) and record it along with the video stream. Either that or replace the one you have, say, a cheap turret with built-in mic. It's a bit of a PITA to get an analog audio source into IP and into BI compared to adding, say, a $45 camera that has easy BI support AND either adds a second camera to the area or allows you to repurpose the existing cam somewhere else.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I have a camera that doesn't have audio input on it, and I'm using BI, is there a way to send the audio to the server for recording? Have a raspberry pi or something with an audio input that then transmits the data over ethernet?
You can literally plug a mic into the mic in jack on the computer, but the long cabling would be likely to pick up radio interference.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has anyone had success with this microphone on a Hikvision camera? I've got one of the new 3mp ultra low light varifocal turrets with sound input (line in- via a 3.5mm plug.) I've used a RCA to 3.5mm mono lead to plug the microseven mike into the "line in" and am powering it off a 12V solar battery system (voltage between 12-14VDC.)
I've enabled video with audio but I can barely hear anything on any of the six odd audio codecs. On one I get faint audio with the volume up very high, but only from loud sound sources within 1m of the mike.
I've tested the mike on an audio amp and it works okay. I bought two and they're both the same.
Any suggestions? I'm beginning to wonder if it's a camera firmware issue?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone had success with this microphone on a Hikvision camera? I've got one of the new 3mp ultra low light varifocal turrets with sound input (line in- via a 3.5mm plug.) I've used a RCA to 3.5mm mono lead to plug the microseven mike into the "line in" and am powering it off a 12V solar battery system (voltage between 12-14VDC.)
I've enabled video with audio but I can barely hear anything on any of the six odd audio codecs. On one I get faint audio with the volume up very high, but only from loud sound sources within 1m of the mike.
I've tested the mike on an audio amp and it works okay. I bought two and they're both the same.
Any suggestions? I'm beginning to wonder if it's a camera firmware issue?
Do you have the options to choose Input or MIc in cam setup? Tried both?
Is there any audio noise filter settings you can turn off in the cam setup?
The codec shouldn't matter in this regard.