Computer for Blue Iris

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When dealing with CPUs (intel CPUs anyway) the prices almost never drop. Used/refurbished system prices tend to drop, but it does not sound like Nanookofthenorth is looking for one of these.

Since we just switched to page 2, here is that link again about the new Haswell-E CPUs and DDR4 memory: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/haswell-e-ddr4-x99-launch-date,27460.html

I suspect DDR4 RAM will cost a lot to start with. RAM prices in general have been going up for the past few years. An 8GB stick of DDR3 used to be $35, and now it is more like $80 to $95!!

Anyway I would wait for some benchmarks with the new CPUs and DDR4 memory to see if the price premium is worth it. It is hard to have too much CPU power for Blue Iris! I would love to be able to run all my cams without direct to disc, or with frame rates higher than 6 FPS.
Looks like the 6 core i7-5820K is about $50 more than the i7-4790K quad. DDR4 memory is running about $100/8GB vs the same for DDR3. Haven't looked at motherboards yet. <edit> Motherboards are running $250-$400.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9105902&CatId=8741

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611 600521523&IsNodeId=1

This video might make you slobber on your keyboard. Alot of key upgrades . . .

http://www.newegg.com/CPUs-Processors/Category/ID-34

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

motion2082

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running 5 Cameras (3x 2032s + 2x FI8910s) on a i3-4150

Blue Iris works fine for me, no dramas.

i7 will rip through anything you throw at it, especially if you are thinking 16 cameras eventually

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running blueiris on an older I7 core i7 860 @ 2.80 Ghz with 6Gb ram
4 IP cams resolution varying
1 - 1280x1024 10 fps
1 - 1920x1080 12 fps
2 - 1600x1200 10 fps

system goes between 11 - 13 % because of BI in idle state and all cams are on direct to disk recording.

Reaction score
I currently have I7-47770 @3.40GHZ with 4 cores and 8 GB memory. I have 5 Foscam HD cameras. All works great normal daily stuff, about 25% CPU. But there is profile I would like to try. Have all the main cameras constantly record , 4 cameras. When I do this, CPU is pegged at 100%, non stop. I was looking to add more cameras, but not sure I can, if I ever need to have most of my cameras recording, that would not work. Has anyone else tried this?

The reason for the recording, is for example, I have party with kids, and want to make sure I have recording for any mishap with kids, accident in the garage, back yard, etc

Is it possible with Blue Iris?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Turn on the direct to disc option for all of your cameras. This should cut the CPU usage down dramatically.

You can find it in Camera Properties > Record tab > Video file format and compression button.

I also recommend using the Blue Iris DVR format especially when doing continuous recording since it will let you view a recording before it is completed. You can always export to another format if you need to share it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have I7-47770 @3.40GHZ with 4 cores and 8 GB memory. I have 5 Foscam HD cameras. All works great normal daily stuff, about 25% CPU. But there is profile I would like to try. Have all the main cameras constantly record , 4 cameras. When I do this, CPU is pegged at 100%, non stop. I was looking to add more cameras, but not sure I can, if I ever need to have most of my cameras recording, that would not work. Has anyone else tried this?

The reason for the recording, is for example, I have party with kids, and want to make sure I have recording for any mishap with kids, accident in the garage, back yard, etc

You need to set blue iris to record direct to disk.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score

yes

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Are you able to record 4 camera actively at once? Not monitor, but actively record? What is your setup if you can?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, all you have to do is what we already told you. Your system is capable of handing that load and a whole lot more.

Reaction score
Thanks, I missed that the first time. Yes, Direct to disk is much better. Now with all 5 recording, only 38% CPU. And the memory when from 2 GB to 800 MB. Thanks so much...

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Will read it over! Any online stores/sites you suggest for decent deals? I haven't bought a used/refurb'ed PC in ages

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You'll probably get the best prices from ebay or from 1st-party sources (e.g. dell outlet). Just make sure when you buy a PC that it is a complete PC with ram, hdd, and operating system license. You should be able to get any 3rd or 4th generation i5 in a complete PC for less than $200. Less than $150, often enough.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey gang. Just getting into Blue Iris. Currently running it on my Plex media server in my office, but realizing a dedicated PC might be a better option. I'm thinking I probably won't exceed four 4MP cameras. Can anyone suggest a minimum machine so I know what I should be looking for? Would something like the below suffice?
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-980-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01L7UBBJU/

Thanks!
Ouch... that is a terrible deal, you’re looking at more like something like this...

Dell Optiplex 9020 intel Windows 7 I-7 4770, 8 gig of ram, 120 gig SSD | eBay

If you have hard drives laying around throw a 2tb in it and your set

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey gang. Just getting into Blue Iris. Currently running it on my Plex media server in my office, but realizing a dedicated PC might be a better option. I'm thinking I probably won't exceed four 4MP cameras. Can anyone suggest a minimum machine so I know what I should be looking for? Would something like the below suffice?
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-980-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01L7UBBJU/

Thanks!
as noted by camit that is a terrible price and a first gen i5, that does not support quicksync, its also weak and a power hog...you want at least a third generation....

Ghebert86

n3wb
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, you won't get to run them all at max frame rates (try 15 FPS instead), but it should be able to do 8x 4MP plus a couple of 8MP.