Computer for Blue Iris

Augus

n3wb
Reaction score
please suggest a computer for 5 x 4mp cameras, thanks,

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You will definitely need an i7 for your setup. Make sure its a modern fourth generation haswell i7, like the i7-4770 not the older first or second gens.
Memory is not all that important right now as Blue iris is 32bit, however blue iris will be released as a 64 bit app by years end (or so its rumored, the developer, in his update notes, has said that he is working on the 64 bit app)...4 is enough for the 32 bit version...you may want to just get 8 to future proof it...(you can always add ram..) Here is an example system for only 549 Lenovo Outlet Store | Discount Laptops | Lenovo US | Lenovo Outlet Store
Do not get a system with discrete video...it will not help performance and it sucks power and will be another point of heat and failure.
I prefer windows 8.1 its lighter and a bit faster just install classic shell to get back the start menu.
I prefer using refurbished business class machines purchased from their ebay or from the manufacturers outlet, from dell, hp or lenovo, they are built really well and the dells and hp's usually come with a 3 year next business day ONSITE warranty which cannot be beat.
Here is another example Dell Official Outlet Refurbished Laptops, Desktops, Servers & Monitors
Note that the description has an error, the drive is not 500gb solid state, its a hybrid drive, with 8gb flash...regardless they provide a good value.

Here is another Dell OptiPlex 9020 MiniTower i7-4770 8GB 500GB HD 8570 WIN8 3 Year NBD Warranty | eBay
Another option you have is to buy your cameras from one manufacturer like dahua or hikvision and use their own software, PSS or IVMS respectively which use in camera motion detection and you could use an i3 for that....i prefer the options in blue iris.

When getting a machine if you want to add hard drives make sure it has room...like a mini tower, (some small form factors allow for one extra drive as well, but not all)

I'm Planning my upgrade from my AMD a-10 already, and looking at what i can get from dell in Canada here (ebay seems to be not as competitive up here with everything factored in;

Dell Refurbished Dell OptiPlex 7020 - Desktops

Dell OptiPlex 7020
This unit features:

• Chassis: Mini Tower
  • Processor: Intel Core i7 Quad (i7-4790) 3.60 GHz
  • Memory: 8 GB
  • Hard Drive: 500 GB
$489.00 (canadian)

That seems to be the fastest processor they have at the moment, the only other heavy hitters are their xenon processors which I don't think have quicksynch :(

Is this a good solid performer for the purpose at hand? Ive got Blue iris and currently running 7 2MP cameras with the possibility of 2 or 3 more max.

I cant seem to get any refurbished i7-7700 series processors anywhere :(

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks like a good system, but since it has a 4th generation CPU it won't support H.265 hardware acceleration. You'll need 6th-generation for that.

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That looks like a good system, but since it has a 4th generation CPU it won't support H.265 hardware acceleration. You'll need 6th-generation for that.

Yes Ive been rating them by the passmark rating to sort of get an idea what is better than others, it was a real eye opener when I saw my AMD A10-7800 was somewhere in the 5000 range lol, nevermind the lack of quicksynch hahaha!

The computer stores for new machines are pretty pricey, Anyone out there from Ontario with any input on good cheap machines pl;ease chime in!

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is there really any advantages for H.265 ??

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there really any advantages for H.265 ??
Some reports say as much as 50% bit reduction as compared to H.264. The encoding time for H.265 is longer, which is why you MUST have the CPU with H.265 hardware acceleration to support it, as @bp2008 mentioned.

It's definitely coming, so you might as well prepare for it in that if you're buying hardware right now, you'd be wise to consider it's ability to support H.265.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Some reports say as much as 50% bit reduction as compared to H.264. The encoding time for H.265 is longer, which is why you MUST have the CPU with H.265 hardware acceleration to support it, as @bp2008 mentioned.

It's definitely coming, so you might as well prepare for it in that if you're buying hardware right now, you'd be wise to consider it's ability to support H.265.
Thanks..... I’m guessing a i5 7600k will work ??

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've finally picked up the machine and am excited, i have my WD 4TB Purple drive, just waiting for the HDD caddy, to get it started.

I noticed it came with a Windows 8.1 and small AMD R5 240 graphics card which I wasn't expecting (i guess it was an option with these dell machines) so I'm anxious to see if the quicksynch will work with this card.

The 500GB HDD is a 7200rpm baracuda so i'm not too worried about upgrading to SSD for the main drive right yet.

So far I'm impressed with the build quality of this refurb 720 mini tower, it has 2 fans and a decent sized power supply. Looking forward to booting this up!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've finally picked up the machine and am excited, i have my WD 4TB Purple drive, just waiting for the HDD caddy, to get it started.

I noticed it came with a Windows 8.1 and small AMD R5 240 graphics card which I wasn't expecting (i guess it was an option with these dell machines) so I'm anxious to see if the quicksynch will work with this card.

The 500GB HDD is a 7200rpm baracuda so i'm not too worried about upgrading to SSD for the main drive right yet.

So far I'm impressed with the build quality of this refurb 720 mini tower, it has 2 fans and a decent sized power supply. Looking forward to booting this up!
remove the card even if quicksync works...it uses power and adds heat...you will see a significant performance increase with the ssd...that baracuda as with all spinning harddrives is painfully slow.
i think you mean a 7020

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
remove the card even if quicksync works...it uses power and adds heat...you will see a significant performance increase with the ssd...that baracuda as with all spinning harddrives is painfully slow.
i think you mean a 7020
Thanks for your input fenderman, any input on size for the SSD on the primary drive? II assume I just need space for some clips before they get transferred to the other drive. I am going to have to re-watch the video on clips and archiving there was alot of info there was hard to keep up when I first watched the youtube clips.

I'll have to get the machine up and running first before I can clone the HDD so I have time for more planning..

I'm super happy to have the upgrade, my AMD A-10 was barely keeping up with recording 8 2mp cams, but when I tried to review any footage it pretty much just locked up.. AMD just sucks as you have already discussed ad nauseum..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input fenderman, any input on size for the SSD on the primary drive? II assume I just need space for some clips before they get transferred to the other drive. I am going to have to re-watch the video on clips and archiving there was alot of info there was hard to keep up when I first watched the youtube clips.

I'll have to get the machine up and running first before I can clone the HDD so I have time for more planning..

I'm super happy to have the upgrade, my AMD A-10 was barely keeping up with recording 8 2mp cams, but when I tried to review any footage it pretty much just locked up.. AMD just sucks as you have already discussed ad nauseum..
250 is a good size... you don't need to store any video on it...just windows, bi, and the database...

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks again! I will be posing a comparison of CPU Usage, but we all know how that is going to shake out, lol..

I saw that some people were contributing to a database somewhere for stats on cameras and CPU vs usage. Do you happen to know how can I contribute to that database, is it through the blueiris tools?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Awesome, I will install that today, thanks!

CanDoThis

n3wb
Reaction score
overpriced - low memory, ...and will not support hardware accel on more than 1080p if you install higher res cams at a later date...
hp 8300 with i5-3570 processors can be had for 100...see ebay.
Thanks! Asked about that bec with a coupon it’s about 70 shipped and includes os. Ebay seems more with shipping etc. other models to hunt for at the 100 shipped price? Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! Asked about that bec with a coupon it’s about 70 shipped and includes os. Ebay seems more with shipping etc. other models to hunt for at the 100 shipped price? Thanks!
Here are a few that caught my eye under $100

HP 8300 Elite USDT (MXL31306L4) | i5-3470S @ 2.90GHz | 4GB | 250GB | COA | No OS | eBay
HP 8300 Elite Intel Core i3 3.3GHz SFF / 4GB / 500GB / DVD-RW / Win 7 / 1 YR WTY | eBay
HP Elite 8300 Ultra Slim Windows 7 Pro Core i3 3220 3.3Ghz PC 500GB 8GB RAM 740030218234 | eBay

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.