CPU Usage 100%

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is that HDMI port connected (selected) to the I9-9900k system. Try plugging it directly into the PI PC.

I was using a KVM (hdmi) with my windows 7 without a problem, on windows 10, two of my systems will not boot unless the monitor/keyboard/mouse is selected.

Side note: Also try uninstalling the other stuff on the system, like java and MongoDB...

Have you performed a clean install of windows using the MS Media Creator tool?

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is that HDMI port connected (selected) to the I9-9900k system. Try plugging it directly into the PI PC.

I was using a KVM (hdmi) with my windows 7 without a problem, on windows 10, two of my systems will not boot unless the monitor/keyboard/mouse is selected.

Side note: Also try uninstalling the other stuff on the system, like java and MongoDB...

Have you performed a clean install of windows using the MS Media Creator tool?
yeah... I plugged it into the back of the Blue Iris Pc.. I have no problem with the system booting without anything hooked up to it. I’ve uninstalled java and I dont know where that mongodb came from. I’ve uninstalled it as well and anything unnecessary..

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have .7 laying around anywhere
Part of me just wants to buy a gpu and just use it to offload some... and keep the system more stable... I don't really care about the electricity bill tbh.. its for a business ( our electricity bill is already 8k a month)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Part of me just wants to buy a gpu and just use it to offload some... and keep the system more stable... I don't really care about the electricity bill tbh.. its for a business ( our electricity bill is already 8k a month)
The latest driver will work fine and keep the machine stable. If you still have a leak its something else. Perfome a clean install with the MS media creation tool.
Its doesnt matter how much the electric bill is, it could be 20k a month...its the added difference which negates the savings of using a cheap vms like blue iris. If you electric bill is really 8k a month, this must be a huge facility with millions in revenue. You should consider an enterprise vms - since cost is irrelevant.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a similar problem i9-9900K pinging 100% WAY before it should have. Even after updating all the drivers, etc.

For me, it turned out to be a storage allocation problem. Here's the thread on it. Hi CPU usage after latest update
Hmmmm. Appreciate that! I’m definitely having some storage allocation issues.. a lot over red lol. My BI database is huge

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
graphics driver 25.20.100.6374 11/18/2018 is an old driver; nearly a year

1578799232138.png

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
other misc thoughts.

need to correct the over allocation storage errors and rebuild db; what is your storage layout... c, d, e, etc, ssd vs hd

are there any 'anomalies' in Windows logs; application, system

noticed that outside (#.#.#.200) is refusing connection; could BI be getting in a CPU loop trying to connect?

have your checked your nvme drive with crystal disk info to verify its capable of sustained read/write level you're seeing.

have you checked BI configuration for unexpected changes; direct-to-disc, max frames, jpeg quality %

is it possible to disable/pause cameras (temporarily) one by one (accumulative) to see if cpu will drop to a 'normal' value; realize BI is being used in a business environment so this may need to be done week-end/off-hours. this might provide insight into which camera(s) is/are involved with generating the issue.

cameras in h.264 mode, and some in h.264+, benefit from hardware acceleration. I've disabled hardware acceleration for benefits of h.265+; better compression so less network traffic and smaller on-disk files. my i9-9900k handles the extra cpu requirements without any issue. i know this adds additional change to the mix, but it will rule out intel graphics issues.

phydeaux

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had basically the same issue about 3 months ago. Out of the blue my CPU usage spiked to 80 - 100% no matter what I tried in Bue Iris & my Camera settings.

After more hours than I kept track of, I found the culprit(s)

1) WSAPPX issue as Windows was trying to connect to the windows store (Check your running processes & WSAPPX will be the very last one) What is Wsappx Process? — Fix 100% Disk Usage in Windows 10 -> (I ended up disabling windows store updates, this is separate than normal updates)

2) My Windows 10 was stuck in the middle of major updates (I think from Version 1903 to 1909)

Once I resolved these 2 issues my CPU usage dropped back to levels I was getting upon first setting up Blue Iris

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
other misc thoughts.

need to correct the over allocation storage errors and rebuild db; what is your storage layout... c, d, e, etc, ssd vs hd

are there any 'anomalies' in Windows logs; application, system

noticed that outside (#.#.#.200) is refusing connection; could BI be getting in a CPU loop trying to connect?

have your checked your nvme drive with crystal disk info to verify its capable of sustained read/write level you're seeing.

have you checked BI configuration for unexpected changes; direct-to-disc, max frames, jpeg quality %

is it possible to disable/pause cameras (temporarily) one by one (accumulative) to see if cpu will drop to a 'normal' value; realize BI is being used in a business environment so this may need to be done week-end/off-hours. this might provide insight into which camera(s) is/are involved with generating the issue.

cameras in h.264 mode, and some in h.264+, benefit from hardware acceleration. I've disabled hardware acceleration for benefits of h.265+; better compression so less network traffic and smaller on-disk files. my i9-9900k handles the extra cpu requirements without any issue. i know this adds additional change to the mix, but it will rule out intel graphics issues.
BI will be much happier if you only use h.264. Nothing fancy, no +'s, or smart codec.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008 is this the same issue you had with the correct video driver with this chip?
I never had a 9th-gen Intel myself. But when I had a bad Intel driver on my 8th-gen system, the result was rising CPU usage.

If task manager is to be believed, then @gfaulk09 's problem is in fact related to storage. The task manager screenshot shows BI using 481.2 MB/s which is astronomical for a VMS. That should never happen for more than a few seconds, like if Blue Iris was copying a clip from one SSD to another SSD.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a similar problem i9-9900K pinging 100% WAY before it should have. Even after updating all the drivers, etc.

For me, it turned out to be a storage allocation problem. Here's the thread on it. Hi CPU usage after latest update
hmmmm. I’ve read thru that thread.. trying to understand what exactly you did/change
I never had a 9th-gen Intel myself. But when I had a bad Intel driver on my 8th-gen system, the result was rising CPU usage.

If task manager is to be believed, then @gfaulk09 's problem is in fact related to storage. The task manager screenshot shows BI using 481.2 MB/s which is astronomical for a VMS. That should never happen for more than a few seconds, like if Blue Iris was copying a clip from one SSD to another SSD.
storage was the issue.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hmmmm. I’ve read thru that thread.. trying to understand what exactly you did/change
Well, a couple of things. First, I was recording everything to an M.2 SSD. That in turn was copying over to the WD purple drives. I eliminated the middle man and am now just recording straight to the spinning hard drives. I don't think that really hurt anything, but I didn't see any improvement and it only complicated things, so I got rid of it.

Next, and I really think this was it...under Clips and Archiving, I must have had the free space monitoring messed up somehow. BI would work fine and then would get to a point of storage on the disk showing half full, but also show red/over allocation error with unallocated free space. I'm guessing that feature is in there so BI doesn't erase data from something else. Either way, my drives are being used only for BI storage and I'm using the whole disck, so I went ahead and clicked "Do NOT monitor free space". I put a limit size of just under what the formatted free space of the disk is and unclicked "Limit clip age". I also have "delete" selected. So, hopefully when a drive is full (or reached the preset limit size, the old clips will be deleted and everything will work as it should.