Crashes and expectations

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you would answer and post the requests, this would go much faster.
Did you Exclude all BI folders from Windows defender?
IT for 20yrs huh....
Press Windows key, Shift and S at the same time for snip.

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hehe..Well its also been almost 18 years that I have not been IT :)

I posted the numbers, so I have done everything asked of.

No, I have not excluded BI from Windows Defender, as I had not before. There is no BI instruction or recommendation that I know of to do so. There is info on Sophos and Bit Defender which are not MS software.
Just to be clear, before about 6 or so updates, the system was running OK with 70% CPU. I did add 3 cameras, and I also noticed after the updates some parameters were changed. I have set them back to No vs Default (hardware acceleration), and some cameras were at 30fps and I changed them back to 15fps.

I certainly appreciate the experienced wisdom in trying to get this up.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hehe..Well its also been almost 18 years that I have not been IT :)

I posted the numbers, so I have done everything asked of.

No, I have not excluded BI from Windows Defender, as I had not before. There is no BI instruction or recommendation that I know of to do so. There is info on Sophos and Bit Defender which are not MS software.
Just to be clear, before about 6 or so updates, the system was running OK with 70% CPU. I did add 3 cameras, and I also noticed after the updates some parameters were changed. I have set them back to No vs Default (hardware acceleration), and some cameras were at 30fps and I changed them back to 15fps.

I certainly appreciate the experienced wisdom in trying to get this up.
Yes there is, in the help file on page 163.
Exclude all BI folders from ANY antivirus, including Defender.

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
YEs 162 shows Windows Firewall set should have both Private and Public checked. Public was, but I just added private. Bunch of games and Xbox and MS messaging that also allowed, so I took those out.

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Reading more, I just selected "Limit decoding unless required" since it mentiions this in the Help to lower CPU use. Though I have all cams Direct to disk. Not sure of other decodings it may apply?

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, SO I set all cameras settings to "Limit decoding unless required" and CPU is now about 6% to 11%
WOW
What exactly is "decoding" doing, and what are some ramifications of LIMITING the decoding? Maybe I should have some specific camera left on with unlimited decoding?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Search for limit decoding in the wiki.

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
reading thru some of that...Lots of tweaking. Looks like using 265 vs 264 makes a difference with some cameras. Will have to check that out as well. Most for Web server. Which at this point I dont use.

Last edited:

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks...It is amazing how I was convinced to re install the entire OS which took me about 5 to 7 hours to get the resources and trouble shoot other aspects when the most obvious settings that are simple to test without any extreme measures were ignored and would have taken a minute or 2.
Reminds me of the the very "scientific" (sarcasm) Cv19 issue we're going through now, lol, regardless...Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks...It is amazing how I was convinced to re install the entire OS which took me about 5 to 7 hours to get the resources and trouble shoot other aspects when the most obvious settings that are simple to test without any extreme measures were ignored and would have taken a minute or 2.
Reminds me of the the very "scientific" (sarcasm) Cv19 issue we're going through now, lol, regardless...Thanks.
You did not solve your problem at all. Its amazing that your think you did without even bothering to read up on the limit decoding setting and the negative effects. Stop being an ungrateful pompus ass and read a bit before mouthing off. All you did was mask your problem.
If it took you 5-7 hours to install an OS there is something seriously wrong with you. The operation takes about 20-30 minuets.

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are right, I dont know the down side, and I dont want to sound unappreciative, but shit, I wish I tried those first to at least see that it made a difference.
YEs , it shouldnt take that long, but until I got the download, until I read that I wont need a Prod key as Dell has it in the Bios, I had numerous fails of download and creation of the unpack files on the USB, and then finally installing took way more than it should, and partly my ignorance on the partitions needing to be removed... Then the video driver not displaying onmy screen correctly(tv tuner monitor), then install BI latest, import settings, retweak settings.... Well, its quite the effort to go through when you havent done it in so long. I guess I am happy to have learned how it would need to be done, forbid a important box with info dies.

But true, I have not read a too much more about it. But I am only using Main local and no streams. And if its just effecting the preview, and not the record, I can come back to it. With such a low floor in CPU use I thought I maybe about to bring up the camera resultion...But, its not something I would do for now.
Really I do very much appreciate this platform, and you and other members who are actively hear. I hope to learn more and perhaps I can be helpful to others as well. I might try a few options before suggesting a a new OS install on a brand new system already with a clean install, but really, I would not know first hand, and can now surely rule that out for future issues.
But solving my issues, I can gain more experience and hope to contributre more.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are right, I dont know the down side, and I dont want to sound unappreciative, but shit, I wish I tried those first to at least see that it made a difference.
YEs , it shouldnt take that long, but until I got the download, until I read that I wont need a Prod key as Dell has it in the Bios, I had numerous fails of download and creation of the unpack files on the USB, and then finally installing took way more than it should, and partly my ignorance on the partitions needing to be removed... Then the video driver not displaying onmy screen correctly(tv tuner monitor), then install BI latest, import settings, retweak settings.... Well, its quite the effort to go through when you havent done it in so long. I guess I am happy to have learned how it would need to be done, forbid a important box with info dies.

But true, I have not read a too much more about it. But I am only using Main local and no streams. And if its just effecting the preview, and not the record, I can come back to it. With such a low floor in CPU use I thought I maybe about to bring up the camera resultion...But, its not something I would do for now.
Really I do very much appreciate this platform, and you and other members who are actively hear. I hope to learn more and perhaps I can be helpful to others as well. I might try a few options before suggesting a a new OS install on a brand new system already with a clean install, but really, I would not know first hand, and can now surely rule that out for future issues.
But solving my issues, I can gain more experience and hope to contributre more.
it will affect motion detection. Read the wiki.

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had read about some of it. Looks like I need to switch to 264 and HW Accelerated Intel decode...At least thats what it sounds like it suggests.
I did select it HW Accel-Intel, and I still see the cameras, so maybe it works local and not web streams.
I also took the decode limiter off from main few cameras about 6 out of the 17 or so. CPU is 11% Ram is 6.7G

Last edited:

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Some cameras allowed 1 being the I-Frame rate, a couple were 5 as lowest, and another was 17. So changed them all to H/264