Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English

chem

n3wb
Reaction score
Use another pc, this seems to happen for some people using Windows 10, it's some sort of PC problem with tftp, as you can see from the other posts

hmm, Thanks! i think you might be on to something there, this is a windows machine running windows 10. If this is the issue (i bet it is) i am going to be so pissed for all the time wasted, damn windows!

normel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has someone already tries this out with chinese 5.3.3?

Juggis

n3wb
Reaction score
Situation so far:

Camera is chinese DS-2CD2132F-IWS. Sticker says 5.2.8 141231. Firmware is multilanguage. I updated to 5.3.0 from hikvision site. Camera went to minsystem state. I had trouble starting TFTP update but finally the key information was to delete windows firewall tftp rules despite the firewall was off. After that Windows 7 laptop connected to router with camera started upon powering the camera transmitting new firmware to camera memory. I powered the camera with 12vdc transformer. TFTP works good and in the end I get that system update complete.

I used 5.3.0 downgrader firmware and still the camera is currently at minsystem state. I used telnet to check system log and there was that initramfs unpacking failed junk in compressed archive -message and booting goes to minsystem state. Next I tried 5.1.6, then 5.2.0 and last 5.2.3. After those the camera was not seen at all by SADP nor was pingable so finally I went back to downgrader firmware. So it all comes to finding compatible firmware to this chinese camera. Serial number has CCCH. Perhaps I should ask from seller.

Maybe chinese firmwares would work and then mtd hack to english? But I would prefer multilanguage since Finnish is my native language. Though I have few Chinese hikvision cams, maybe those modded firmware could the answer...

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Situation so far:

Camera is chinese DS-2CD2132F-IWS. Sticker says 5.2.8 141231. Firmware is multilanguage. I updated to 5.3.0 from hikvision site. Camera went to minsystem state. I had trouble starting TFTP update but finally the key information was to delete windows firewall tftp rules despite the firewall was off. After that Windows 7 laptop connected to router with camera started upon powering the camera transmitting new firmware to camera memory. I powered the camera with 12vdc transformer. TFTP works good and in the end I get that system update complete.

I used 5.3.0 downgrader firmware and still the camera is currently at minsystem state. I used telnet to check system log and there was that initramfs unpacking failed junk in compressed archive -message and booting goes to minsystem state. Next I tried 5.1.6, then 5.2.0 and last 5.2.3. After those the camera was not seen at all by SADP nor was pingable so finally I went back to downgrader firmware. So it all comes to finding compatible firmware to this chinese camera. Serial number has CCCH. Perhaps I should ask from seller.

Maybe chinese firmwares would work and then mtd hack to english? But I would prefer multilanguage since Finnish is my native language. Though I have few Chinese hikvision cams, maybe those modded firmware could the answer...
The downgrader is for 5.30 versions, what you need is the Chinese 5.25 or the English version and use Hiktools to change the firmwares regional flag to 2.
Once done you can then do the mtd hack.

Juggis

n3wb
Reaction score
Finally the camera is back to normal. I updated chinese 5.2.5 to it and then replaced the language file with telnet. Now I have multi-language so everything is good. No mtd hack needed.

I followed these instructions replacing IEfile.tar.gz: http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=44844&start=15

Thanks for good advices. This has been very educational process and guess I have learned something along the way. Oh yeah, day is shown chinese still, but I just disabled it from showing. It is good enough for me.

vinceefr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I tried to apply the tftp method with @whoslooking trick but it does not work for me.
I did the tftp method and after 10 mintues wait, my 2CD2532F-IWS did not reboot by itself. And then when I reboot it manually 10minutes after the tftp end, it keeps on rebooting every 20-30 seconds.
My cam is a chinese one: on its back it is writtent: 5.2.8_141231 (2/2015) ,if I well remember the firmware displayed on through the web interface was 5.2.5.
Unfortunaely I had the bad idea to upgrade it to 5.3.0 (EU)....
Now I'm not able to have it work...

I would appreciate any help from one of you to better understand what to do.

Regards,
Vince

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Vince

Your a little off the path, the firmware is for downgrading a 5.30
What you need to fix your Camera is firmware 5.25 if you tftp that back to your camera you'll be backup and running

mandalay

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @whoslooking - I grabbed the wrong box of a Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I thinking it had 5.3. So I successfully downgraded to 5.2.5 using TFTP. But the menu is all in Chinese. I just realized the actual version printed under the camera is 5.20. What should I do now? I want English menu. I tried to TFTP using 5.1.6 under your signature but it does not do anything; it was stuck at 192.0.0.128 initialized. Should I do the MTD hack to get English menu with current 5.2.5 on the camera?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

mandalay

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried the MTD hack and it works. You should include the YouTube link in your signature since I find it very helpful, @whoslooking. Thanks for that.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well done if you camera was in fact a 5.20 you after doing the mtd hack, you can upgrade to 5.30 with the English firmware without problems now.:cool:

mandalay

n3wb
Reaction score
Good to know :) But are there benefits going to 5.30? And I see English is the only language in this camera after the MTD hack. Is there an IEfile for 5.2.5 that I can use to make it multi-language?

nationwide

n3wb
Reaction score
Been playing around with this for a while now and seemingly unable to get it fixed. I got a new Hikvision cam type DS-2CD2032F-I from AE. Label on camera shows: v5.3.0_150513 (with Q/BFW 006-2015) and right top corner shows 10/2015. Since it was not registering well on EZVIZ7 i decided to reflash firmware on it. Read the forum and took the downgrader firmware that was in whoslooking signature. The camera sees the TFTP server and starts transfering the files. When transfering is done the camera will immediatly start responding to 192.168.1.64 and stops responding to 192.0.0.64. I never get the "System update complete" message. Since i'm messing with this for days now the only time i have seen the system update complete message was with the 5.3.0 firmware from the hikvision USA ftp server. For a moment I was like "YAY! I'm awesome" but then it went straight into reboot loop. Only giving me 3 pings back on 192.0.0.64 before going back into a reboot. I think i have read this thread for the 4th time to see if I have missed anything. And searched back and forth on the internet to see if there are more people having this issue. I started this on Windows 10, eventually brought my Windows 7 laptop from work just to be sure.

I think i'm at the point where I need help. Which hurts my feelings slighty....

Oh also noticed it takes a long time to become visible inside SADP when running in min system mode. But that maybe normal.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The symptoms are consistent with incompatible firmware being loaded.
I wonder if the @whoslooking downgrader firmware was the version that incorporates the 4-line intrusion detection? There have been some reports of incompatibility on some cameras with that. I think the original version is still linked in that thread somewhere.

When in min-system (recovery) mode you should be able to use a telnet session to take a look at the system log to see if there are any clues about what the problem is with the loaded firmware:
cat /proc/kmsg

And what may be worth trying are 'official' 5.3.0 versions from non-US sources, eg
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Cameras/DS-2CD2xx2/
http://www1.hikvision.com/cn/download_more_714.html (02 section)

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, I have come across this a few times with different models, the strange thing is the tftp push seems to be effected by different Windows environments, IE if you can't load it with windows 8, try again with windows 7 or 10.
As Alastair has pointed out the 4 line patch firmware does not work with all models, but the original will and you can still patch for 4 lines after if you really need them.

nationwide

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I tried both the 4 line version as the previous one. Both times the camera started responding to 192.168.1.64, the moment the transfer was complete. But never a "System update complete". I'll try to see if telnet is still working when in minimal boot status.

Edit:
When in min recovery I cannot telnet into the device to view the logfiles. I tried US en EU firmware 5.3.0, two several builds. It gives "System Update Complete", when I reboot the camera it goes into a boot loop. 3 pings on 192.0.0.64 before rebooting again. To be sure I loaded a mini xp installation and tested the tftp push there. Same symptoms.

chem

n3wb
Reaction score
i had the same issue, haven't been able to fix it. The only thing that actually worked was the 5.3 chinese version. The US version would say complete but it would go into a loop.

Been playing around with this for a while now and seemingly unable to get it fixed. I got a new Hikvision cam type DS-2CD2032F-I from AE. Label on camera shows: v5.3.0_150513 (with Q/BFW 006-2015) and right top corner shows 10/2015. Since it was not registering well on EZVIZ7 i decided to reflash firmware on it. Read the forum and took the downgrader firmware that was in whoslooking signature. The camera sees the TFTP server and starts transfering the files. When transfering is done the camera will immediatly start responding to 192.168.1.64 and stops responding to 192.0.0.64. I never get the "System update complete" message. Since i'm messing with this for days now the only time i have seen the system update complete message was with the 5.3.0 firmware from the hikvision USA ftp server. For a moment I was like "YAY! I'm awesome" but then it went straight into reboot loop. Only giving me 3 pings back on 192.0.0.64 before going back into a reboot. I think i have read this thread for the 4th time to see if I have missed anything. And searched back and forth on the internet to see if there are more people having this issue. I started this on Windows 10, eventually brought my Windows 7 laptop from work just to be sure.

I think i'm at the point where I need help. Which hurts my feelings slighty....

Oh also noticed it takes a long time to become visible inside SADP when running in min system mode. But that maybe normal.

nationwide

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Snikinl, I ordered the items I need and will try to connect to the camera via serial to see what's going on. I'll update the results here when the items have arrived.

waketech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Works on

DS-2CD33321-I
07/2015
Chinese Camera

Original shipped version worked fine until I changed the HTTP / HTTPS ports and crashed it, got V5.30 from my ebay seller and then did the downgrade, all is good and in English. Been at this thing for almost a week, my wife gives a big thank you now that I don't have to sit and this PC swearing any longer, Bravo #marriagesaver

nationwide

n3wb
Reaction score
I now have console access. So that's progress. commands like cat are not working. But I can use a predefined set of commands like dmesg. What should I be looking at?