Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What I'm saying is if I have a camera on the side of my house and that senses motion can I have this one turn to face a certain way based on another cameras motion. Basically use another camera as a trigger.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How the camera hold out in the BLIZZARD?
Hi , The camera survived the blizzard no problem. Problem was trying to see past the lens in a blizzard. MAN that was some serious stuff we had. Then after 13 inch dropped in 7 hours IT began to rain and rain heavy!!!! So needless to say conditions just got to bad to fast to get anything but a white out in front of the lens.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice! This unit really does well with sunrise/sunset on auto white balance setting. Just a shame it won't perform correctly for me in the day. It's got 3 image setting profiles "day, night, normal" but looks like only day and night can be time scheduled. If I could schedule it to go to "day" during the day, "normal" at sunrise/sunset and "night" during the night, that would work for me most days. Don't see any way of taking advantage of that 3rd image profile, though.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice! This unit really does well with sunrise/sunset on auto white balance setting. Just a shame it won't perform correctly for me in the day. It's got 3 image setting profiles "day, night, normal" but looks like only day and night can be time scheduled. If I could schedule it to go to "day" during the day, "normal" at sunrise/sunset and "night" during the night, that would work for me most days. Don't see any way of taking advantage of that 3rd image profile, though.
there are ways through scripting to pretty easily switch between day/night/normal. might not be what you wanna mess with, but is possible.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
there are ways through scripting to pretty easily switch between day/night/normal. might not be what you wanna mess with, but is possible.
But wouldn't you need a computer running to activate the scripts at specific times? If there's some way of putting some type of script internally into the cam that will activate the profiles, that may work. With Telnet being blocked, I can't really think of anyway to do this, though?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
But wouldn't you need a computer running to activate the scripts at specific times? If there's some way of putting some type of script internally into the cam that will activate the profiles, that may work. With Telnet being blocked, I can't really think of anyway to do this, though?
raspberri pi, don't use much power at all, can even power them over POE. :)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting....I've heard so much good stuff about those things, yet I don't know crap about them! Are these basically the Linux equivalent to an Ipad/tablet or what?
It's a tiny computer that runs Linux, no built in screen, can connect physical things to it also.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's cheap enough...and with a $10 Ebay coupon I need to get rid of this week, maybe that's what I need to use it on. It's just that I hardly know anything about Linux and I know my patience is as thin as a 100 year old man's hair...I have to wonder if I'd be investing in a fun project or if I would just end up with another useless gadget to stress myself out over. lol. I don't even know where to start. Says it has a micro sd slot for installing your operating system. So I'm guessing I have to buy a Linux operating system separately?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
It's cheap enough...and with a $10 Ebay coupon I need to get rid of this week, maybe that's what I need to use it on. It's just that I hardly know anything about Linux and I know my patience is as thin as a 100 year old man's hair...I have to wonder if I'd be investing in a fun project or if I would just end up with another useless gadget to stress myself out over. lol. I don't even know where to start. Says it has a micro sd slot for installing your operating system. So I'm guessing I have to buy a Linux operating system separately?
All the software is free

gregbert

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
[QUOTE="wxman, post: 170438, member: 3678"]But wouldn't you need a computer running to activate the scripts at specific times? If there's some way of putting some type of script internally into the cam that will activate the profiles, that may work. With Telnet being blocked, I can't really think of anyway to do this, though?[/QUOTE]

Do you not have a computer running that can access the cameras? It doesn't require anything special and would add no detectable loading to an existing computer.

All your computer script needs to do is to access an HTTP web page on the camera that will perform the configuration change.
So any kind of computer that has access to the camera should be able to do it.

If not, then the suggestion of a rasPi would be a good option. You would pretty much only need to perform the basic configuration/setup of it, i.e. configure an account, set the time, and configure the network settings. Then create a script that calls the HTTP page at Day and at Night time appropriately. With no rasPi experience at all, you could probably get all of this figured out and setup in a couple of hours just by doing a few searches on Google.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a computer to access the cam, but I don't keep it running 24/7. It's a big graphics desktop that's very power hungry. Granted, I could set the computer to automatically boot up at given times, run the script for the camera and then automatically shut down 5 minutes later, but that's a little more trouble than it's worth. The PI option would probably be more convenient. Then again, it probably wouldn't be worth the investment if that's the only task that the PI was used for...Guess I need to research a bit and see what all useful tasks I can come up with to make it do. Figuring out how to do the tasks can be done later in my spare time. Just need to figure out what's possible, what kind of software I could run, etc.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a computer to access the cam, but I don't keep it running 24/7. It's a big graphics desktop that's very power hungry. Granted, I could set the computer to automatically boot up at given times, run the script for the camera and then automatically shut down 5 minutes later, but that's a little more trouble than it's worth. The PI option would probably be more convenient. Then again, it probably wouldn't be worth the investment if that's the only task that the PI was used for...Guess I need to research a bit and see what all useful tasks I can come up with to make it do. Figuring out how to do the tasks can be done later in my spare time. Just need to figure out what's possible, what kind of software I could run, etc.
security and home automation for one haha. also once you start making it switch day and night on cameras you might find yourself wanting to do other stuff with the cameras. :D

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks like there's new firmware for this unit on the Dahua international site....[PTZ]General_SD49XXXS-HN_V3.02.20.R.170116 available here:

Firmware

Bottom listing on that page and says it's compatible with
I just downloaded it but haven't installed. Release notes are blank, so I'm not sure what it's benefit is. The BIN file shows it was dated 1/16/2017 , yet looks like it was uploaded 3/14/2017...Anyone tried this? I'm too nervous! lol