Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If @EMPIRETECANDY says I'm good to update
The ptz part I'll do it
Cuz I am having problems with the presets

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone have the bin file for the pre-installed firmware (the september build)? I would try the new one but I'd like to be able to go back to the original in case there's problems or anything is worse.

gregbert

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting..From those FPS, it sounds like yours isn't matching up exactly either...Basically, a shutter speed of 1/X will give you X frames per second (Provided that "X" value isn't a higher number than the maximum frames per second you have set in your video compression options)....Thus, if you have it set on the default 25 frames per second video setting, then a 1/1 shutter speed would give you 1 frame per second....1/4 would give you 4 fps...1/15 would give you 15 fps...1/30 would be 25fps....1/100 would be 25fps...Etc...Sure sounds like there is a bug somewhere. Hopefully this is something that could be fixed with a firmware update...
I've not looked into the details of the complete chain of processing, but I could believe that it might not necessarily work out as you calculated. I don't know how the compression algorithms, I-frame settings, etc. affect the final FPS. Like you, I would have initially thought it would be 1:1, but I'm not disturbed by the fact that it's not. As I said, the FPS did change with each change of the SS, but it appears to be off by roughly a factor of 2. Again, I haven't looked into the details, but I'm sure something explains that.

If you bring the settings back to defaults (gain, iris, etc.) and make the SS changes (in B/W mode) do you see FPS changes at the client?
Do you have another camera (any type) to repeat this with in order to compare how your processing flow affects the FPS for similar changes?

frmc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to Dahua cameras and now after reading alot of this forum I'm realy tempted to buy one of these, but I have few questions. So @ page 1 specs says that this camera uses 2Megapixel Exmor R CMOS sensor and IVS(optional) but dahua website claims that they are using Starvis sensor and IVS, well is IVS. Is it same sensor or have they made some sort of hardware update? And what about IVS, what exactly is IVS? am I getting Tripwire, Intrusion, Object Abandoned/Missing stuff out of box or what?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You'll get IVS (Tripwire/Intrusion/etc) on every Dahua coming out of the factory now... and technically its a Sony Starvis Exmor R IMX291

Your just confusing your self

Last edited:

frmc

n3wb
Reaction score
You'll get IVS (Tripwire/Intrusion/etc) on every Dahua coming out of the factory now... and technically its a Sony Starvis Exmor IMX291

Your just confusing your self
Thanks for clearing things up

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've not looked into the details of the complete chain of processing, but I could believe that it might not necessarily work out as you calculated. I don't know how the compression algorithms, I-frame settings, etc. affect the final FPS. Like you, I would have initially thought it would be 1:1, but I'm not disturbed by the fact that it's not. As I said, the FPS did change with each change of the SS, but it appears to be off by roughly a factor of 2. Again, I haven't looked into the details, but I'm sure something explains that.

If you bring the settings back to defaults (gain, iris, etc.) and make the SS changes (in B/W mode) do you see FPS changes at the client?
Do you have another camera (any type) to repeat this with in order to compare how your processing flow affects the FPS for similar changes?
Regardless of the iframe or compression settings, it's optically impossible to have more than one separate image each second on a 1 second exposure..The shutter speed is ultimately the amount of time it takes to create a single image. Thus at a 1/1 shutter speed, it takes 1 whole second to create a single image. If it takes 1 second to create a single image, you can't be seeing 2 or 3 images in a second. You could have less than 1 fps at this exposure if your compression settings toss out some images, but impossible to have more. That's the law of optics.

Even on this camera, it works out from 1/3 and faster...going to 1/4, it's another frame per second and a darker image, 1/6 I get 6 frames per second and a darker image...etc..The process stops at 1/3 for me, though. When I go to 1/2 or 1/1, the brightness stays the same as on 1/3 and the frame rate stays the same as on 1/3...I just can't force it to go slower than 1/3..It's either a firmware bug that is not sending the correct command to the hardware; or either the hardware is actually limited to 1/3 and the 1/2 and 1/1 are impossible for the hardware to achieve and were included by mistake....Or either they intentionally lied about the specs to make the unit look "beefier" than it actually is realzing the average user without knowledge of optics wouldn't catch on.

The thought of a .005 lux sensor and a 1 second shutter speed was a big selling point for me, but as it turns out, I would actually get a brighter image from the .01 lux sensor cam that truly has a 1 second shutter than I'm getting from this .005 lux sensor with a shutter capped at 1/3...The 3 times longer exposure would significantly outweigh a few thousandths of a lux sensitivity increase.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Regardless of the iframe or compression settings, it's optically impossible to have more than one separate image each second on a 1 second exposure..The shutter speed is ultimately the amount of time it takes to create a single image. Thus at a 1/1 shutter speed, it takes 1 whole second to create a single image. If it takes 1 second to create a single image, you can't be seeing 2 or 3 images in a second. You could have less than 1 fps at this exposure if your compression settings toss out some images, but impossible to have more. That's the law of optics.

Even on this camera, it works out from 1/3 and faster...going to 1/4, it's another frame per second and a darker image, 1/6 I get 6 frames per second and a darker image...etc..The process stops at 1/3 for me, though. When I go to 1/2 or 1/1, the brightness stays the same as on 1/3 and the frame rate stays the same as on 1/3...I just can't force it to go slower than 1/3..It's either a firmware bug that is not sending the correct command to the hardware; or either the hardware is actually limited to 1/3 and the 1/2 and 1/1 are impossible for the hardware to achieve and were included by mistake....Or either they intentionally lied about the specs to make the unit look "beefier" than it actually is realzing the average user without knowledge of optics wouldn't catch on.

The thought of a .005 lux sensor and a 1 second shutter speed was a big selling point for me, but as it turns out, I would actually get a brighter image from the .01 lux sensor cam that truly has a 1 second shutter than I'm getting from this .005 lux sensor with a shutter capped at 1/3...The 3 times longer exposure would significantly outweigh a few thousandths of a lux sensitivity increase.

perhaps a security camera is not the best tool for the job you are trying to accomplish.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Perhaps not, but it gets the job done when the manufacturer knows what they're doing and doesn't make shitty products that don't live up to their described specs. This is the same complaint I had with Huisun. I didn't have the failure rates like others had; my big complaint was you didn't know what the heck you were getting until it arrived on your porch. They'd just copy/paste random specs in the ad and half of it was incorrect. With Dahua being such a big name brand, I thought I could at least trust the specs that the factory puts on their documentation. Apparently I was wrong....Then there's Hikvision that tends to build a solid product, yet can't keep up with current technology because they're too busy region code locking their shit so scared that someone is going to buy overseas for a few dollars cheaper.

Sorry to vent, but it's just frustrating to me when a company can't make a basic product and say "here's what it does and does not do" and the product works as described. :banghead:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Perhaps not, but it gets the job done when the manufacturer knows what they're doing and doesn't make shitty products that don't live up to their described specs. This is the same complaint I had with Huisun. I didn't have the failure rates like others had; my big complaint was you didn't know what the heck you were getting until it arrived on your porch. They'd just copy/paste random specs in the ad and half of it was incorrect. With Dahua being such a big name brand, I thought I could at least trust the specs that the factory puts on their documentation. Apparently I was wrong....Then there's Hikvision that tends to build a solid product, yet can't keep up with current technology because they're too busy region code locking their shit so scared that someone is going to buy overseas for a few dollars cheaper.

Sorry to vent, but it's just frustrating to me when a company can't make a basic product and say "here's what it does and does not do" and the product works as described. :banghead:
I think that's most companies lol and on top of that there are no standards anyways so any number they do put won't necessarily be the same performance as another brand that has the same number. that's why reviews are so important.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Can anyone say what controls besides the usual you get when this is hooked up to a dahua nvr? Any manual control of the ir? Can you get into the menu with a preset 95 or anything? Anything noteworthy? Or do you really have to set and tweak it through its web service and then just settle for typical ptz movement through an nvr?
Bump. Anyone have insight? Thanks.

SvenV

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How can I detect this camera if I'm on a 192.168.0 Ip range. I suspect this is on 192.168.1 range?
Any easier way to detect this camera in Blue Iris?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
How can I detect this camera if I'm on a 192.168.0 Ip range. I suspect this is on 192.168.1 range?
Any easier way to detect this camera in Blue Iris?
set your NIC to an address on that network, plug the camera into POE and then straight into your computer, change it's address, then throw it onto the network.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can anyone say what controls besides the usual you get when this is hooked up to a dahua nvr?
I have a SD59225U-HNI so YMMV but when I open the PTZ controls up on my NVR5216-4KS2 it allows me to do the following.

1. Position the camera up, down, left, right and diagonally in each corner.
2. Change the speed at which is moves.
3. Adjust zoom, focus, and iris.
4. Select a preset to view or start a tour, pattern, autoscan, autopan, flip and reset.
5. Lastly a gear allows you to open up the settings where you can add presets, tours, patters and a border (??).

Any manual control of the ir?
I am pretty sure you can only control the IR via the WebUI.

Additionally you can read section 4.9.2 PTZ Control in the NVR52XX-4KS2 User Manual to find out all the information you seek.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've pretty much lost hope on getting the 1 second shutter speed to work...When digging through the API info, I came across this capabilities page...

<ip>/cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=getCaps&channel=0

Under "max exposure time" the value is "300"...300 milliseconds is approx 1/3 second, which is where I'm getting stuck at...So apparently 1/3 is all the cam supports and Dahua has lied about the specs. Guess this is the last Dahua I'll be purchasing and will not be recommending them to anyone else. I need to stick with Hikvision. As annoying as they are as a company, at least they give you the correct specs.