Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They are Ultra's not cheap, IPC-HFW8630E-Z | Dahua Technology

but they have a 1/1.8" sensor, much bigger than a 4MP 1/3" sensor and they are backlit Starvis using same tech as these Starlights..

A big problem with all the UHD Sensors right now is none have real WDR, I've found DWDR is rarely adequate for many outdoor environments with alot of shade and bright light in same scene.. at least for security needs where getting detail on shaded faces is more important than true blacks and ideal color reproduction.

Reactions: cb8

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Screw that then, it's not quite there yet but getting close, which is kind of exciting.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's what I figured. I was ready to pick up a UHD camera to play with until I realized it had DWDR... Unfortunately the location I had in mind would require real WDR judging from my Starlight turret. Didn't necessary expect to replace the Starlight, but wouldn't mind augmenting it with a 4k if only it had WDR :)

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Having purchased multiple Starlight turrets at this point, I'm left wondering if there is supposed to be a rubber cover included for plugging the indentation in the mount for wire exit. I thought I saw a picture somewhere of a molded plug. I will be running my wire directly into soffet so will use some sealant to plug the hole in the camera base (if the molded plug doesn't exist). Just trying to keep bugs and such from taking residence. Here's a pic of the camera base on a 4231.

Attachments

Reaction score
Having purchased multiple Starlight turrets at this point, I'm left wondering if there is supposed to be a rubber cover included for plugging the indentation in the mount for wire exit. I thought I saw a picture somewhere of a molded plug. I will be running my wire directly into soffet so will use some sealant to plug the hole in the camera base (if the molded plug doesn't exist). Just trying to keep bugs and such from taking residence. Here's a pic of the camera base on a 4231.
No molded plug for these. Don't get too concerned with sealing up every little thing on the 5231's. Look at the huge gap between the ball part and the turret base. Lots of bugs will get in to that. I actually plug some round molded insulation foam into this gap, to help keep wasps/hornets out.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Spray a little bifenthrin or permethrin insecticide around the base. You'll never have insect problems for close to six months.
oohh, does this also work to keep away all the little flying shit that likes to swarm the cameras at night and fuck with motion detection?

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
oohh, does this also work to keep away all the little flying shit that likes to swarm the cameras at night and fuck with motion detection?
Will a bug zapper work?

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sure it would, do they sell bug zappers that can run off 12v LOL.
Heres a mini one.looks cool lol.

Bug Zapper Light Bulb – Mosquito Killer Outdoor Indoor , Bug Killer for Gym Back Yard Covered Patio Porch Garage Barn – UV Lamp Trap 600V Electric Grid Zap - 10W E27 LED Cool White Bulb Amazon.com : Bug Zapper Light Bulb - Mosquito Killer Outdoor Indoor, Bug Killer for Gym Back Yard Covered Patio Porch Garage Barn - UV Lamp Trap 600V Electric Grid Zap - 10W E27 LED Cool White Bulb : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dv569656

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
View attachment 17123
Where would be the optimal location to place my 2 Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS. Notice the 3 lights that come on at dusk. I was thinking location 3 and 7, although position 4 seems important also. Position 3 is not a corner but an angled wall pointing to the driveway.The bushes can be trimmed down a foot at position 3 so you could get decent face recognition for anyone entering the front gate.
The mail lady just dropped off a package and told me about a mail theft problem in the neighborhood. Will my HDW4231EM-AS be able to read a license plate?
You can see my mailbox in my picture I uploaded to the very right https://ipcamtalk.com/attachments/17123/

The arrows are possible positions for my two cams I have yet to install.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The mail lady just dropped off a package and told me about a mail theft problem in the neighborhood. Will my HDW4231EM-AS be able to read a license plate?
You can see my mailbox in my picture I uploaded to the very right https://ipcamtalk.com/attachments/17123/

The arrows are possible positions for my two cams I have yet to install.
License plate capture is tricky. See the dedicated lpr subject section.

dv569656

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HDW4231 micro sd slot is not visible like the 5 series. It is underneath the small board.

Spudz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi. Just wondering if anyone on this forum has ordered and tried the Dahua IPC-HUM8230 2MP Covert Pinhole Network Camera? Although I read it is not technically a starlight it does have the same chip in it so would be the best possible cam you can get of this type I would think. Most of the cams of this type are crap. This one looks pretty good. Has anyone tested?

IPC-HUM8230 | Dahua Technology

RadOD

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone know if any of the starlight cameras have user replaceable lenses?

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks for all the good info about the Starlight. I am about to order from Andy, but had some questions for those of you that have ordered from him.

Being that these are international versions and I'm not sure if Andy is an authorized reseller, what happens with warranty and tech support for the item?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks for all the good info about the Starlight. I am about to order from Andy, but had some questions for those of you that have ordered from him.

Being that these are international versions and I'm not sure if Andy is an authorized reseller, what happens with warranty and tech support for the item?
It would be best to ask Andy himself those questions but I have seen that he does warranty some camera here on this forum. You would have to cover the shipping cost back to him. Beside I think that the Dahua camera are very reliable and the chance of getting a defective one or one breaking down is rare.