Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

dv569656

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just ordered 2 IPC-HDW4231EM-AS because of this thread through Andy at Empire tech. These will be my first 2 cameras for my house. Now I must search for a dedicated desktop I7.

A big thanks to Nayr for his great reviews!!

dv569656

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I searched SD card info as to why use one if you are recording to your HD. Can someone explain to why I might need SD cards ? I can only think of a possible computer shutdown and the SD cards will keep recording. Is this the reason? What size SD would be good for the HDW4231 ? Is it mini or just standard SD?

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its MicroSD, and its used for backup w/a NVR or primary storage w/out a NVR

MAgic

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

What model would you recommend for usage where there is always lights on (in a shop)?
I believe the IPC-HDW5231R-Z would be an overkill and is best suited for low light conditions.

Basically what I'm asking is, what is the equivalent of the IPC-HDW5231R-Z but where there is sufficient light always present.

Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you leave all the lighting on or just partial lighting? Can you take a pic w/a cell phone after hours and get a good pic of faces?

The 4MP Cameras can be found a alot cheaper if your willing to deal with Domestic Chinese issues.. otherwise if you want good international cameras the Starlights are same price as the rest and they are not really overkill even in well lit areas, the'll just run at higher shutter and less gain than others would and that still results in better quality.

dv569656

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All,

What model would you recommend for usage where there is always lights on (in a shop)?
I believe the IPC-HDW5231R-Z would be an overkill and is best suited for low light conditions.

Basically what I'm asking is, what is the equivalent of the IPC-HDW5231R-Z but where there is sufficient light always present.

Thanks!
I would look at the one I just purchased IPC-HDW4231EM-AS. It is cheaper than the model you are looking at.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MAgic

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you leave all the lighting on or just partial lighting? Can you take a pic w/a cell phone after hours and get a good pic of faces?

The 4MP Cameras can be found a alot cheaper if your willing to deal with Domestic Chinese issues.. otherwise if you want good international cameras the Starlights are same price as the rest and they are not really overkill even in well lit areas, the'll just run at higher shutter and less gain than others would and that still results in better quality.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah the thing is, I currently have the domestic Chinese non brand used in other cases but I just hate their firmware hence, quality of configuration settings and overall image quality.

I agree that the starlight model I mentioned would be able to still take a sharp frame when someone would be running at high speed because of the shorter lens opening time. On the other hand, how long is the life span of an ip camera? 5 years? Eventually 4mp will be the standard for ip cameras.

dv569656

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
20170409_100911.jpg
Where would be the optimal location to place my 2 Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS. Notice the 3 lights that come on at dusk. I was thinking location 3 and 7, although position 4 seems important also. Position 3 is not a corner but an angled wall pointing to the driveway.The bushes can be trimmed down a foot at position 3 so you could get decent face recognition for anyone entering the front gate.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Eventually 4mp will be the standard for ip cameras.
nope, 4MP are the standard for shit cameras.. Everything's going to skip right over those pices of trash.. Whats the point of increasing resolution if all its doing is using more storage/recording space to save less details.. already 6MP, 8MP and 12MP Starvis packed cameras are out that kick every 4MP camera ever made in the nuts, both night and day..

Photons > Pixels

The only good use for 4MP cameras Ive found is LPR reading; because trying to read a reflective surface at night is most definitely a VERY high lux environment if its completely washed out until you get close to 1/500 shutter speed.

MAgic

n3wb
Reaction score
nope, 4MP are the standard for shit cameras.. Everything's going to skip right over those pices of trash.. Whats the point of increasing resolution if all its doing is using more storage/recording space to save less details.. already 6MP, 8MP and 12MP Starvis packed cameras are out that kick every 4MP camera ever made in the nuts, both night and day..

Photons > Pixels

The only good use for 4MP cameras Ive found is LPR reading; because trying to read a reflective surface at night is most definitely a VERY high lux environment if its completely washed out until you get close to 1/500 shutter speed.

Why were there first 320 pixel cameras and then 720 came and then 1080. I think 4mp will eventually be the next 2mp standard era for ip cams of course only if they are providing better image quality compared to the 2mp (and not that it's only increased mp but suck at bitrate or shitty sensor)

The reason why is it allows you to zoom in on recordings without sacrificing details in case a subject is too far away for good facial recognition. Sure you can zoom a bit with 2mp cameras but to a certain point. With 4mp you are allowed to zoom a bit further.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not as much as you'd think, in the daytime a 1080p 4mm can ID out to 15ft, a 4MP 4mm can ID out to 20ft, 5ft is not worth a reduction in low light performance of a factor of 10x when you can buy a 6mm 1080p Starlight and ID out to 22ft.. or just get a varifocal and get it right where your target area is.

Lets see, they made TV's in 320, 720, then 1080.. now 4k, which is ~8-12MP.. so your logic falls apart on that aspect if it were to remain true.

For outdoor security resolution is a minor factor easily dealt with by the proper optics, the major consideration is low light performance and thats where UltraHD cameras start falling apart, if everything else remains the same just packing more pixels into the same physical sensor space simply reduces sensitivity in low light conditions.. Megapixels dont mean dick, and more often than not the more megapixels the less photons it's capable of gathering.. for a 4MP camera to have the same sensitivity to light as a 2MP camera it'd need a sensor 2x the size, yet all 4MP cameras are 1/3" and all 2MP Starlights are 1/2.8" which if you know your factions means there actually smaller, not bigger.

Keep playing the Megapixel game and you'll loose, I've yet to see a 4MP camera from anyone that can hold a light to these 2MP Starlights.. cheap 4MP Cameras are largely a gimmick to separate ignorant people and their money.. If you want UHD there are 6MP, 8MP and 12MP big sensor and starvis sensor based cameras that outperform those lil sensor 4MP cameras day and night.. but when low light is most important they still get beat by the 2MP Starlights..

Dont forget more resolution and higher bitrates means more storage space is required to achieve the same thing; having a bunch of UHD cameras just yields you crappy low light performance while using up more storage space.. Zoom, learn to love it.. takes no additional storage.

Last edited: