Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just an observation, the links in the 1st page of this thread probably need re-doing now Dahua has moved their product catalogue as they come up as pages not found.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@fenderman, does this version of xenforo allow for wiki-style posts, where the community can make edits to posts to keep them updated? This might help in situations where someone creates a reference post that gets used frequently, *(but then the OP is unable to maintain it).

Example from another forum:

Untitled 2.png

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman, does this version of xenforo allow for wiki-style posts, where the community can make edits to posts to keep them updated? This might help in situations where someone creates a reference post that gets used frequently, *(but then the OP is unable to maintain it).

Example from another forum:

View attachment 28898
Right now it does not, but that is a great idea that we will implement! Thanks very much for the suggestion, I will shoot you a PM shortly to discuss :D :iloveipct:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just an observation, the links in the 1st page of this thread probably need re-doing now Dahua has moved their product catalogue as they come up as pages not found.
I updated all the links in this post: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup
it's just waiting for someone with appropriate permissions to do a little copy and paste or to link the first post to this one. ;)

They added more starlights in the last few days, so I need to add a few more.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I updated all the links in this post: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup
it's just waiting for someone with appropriate permissions to do a little copy and paste or to link the first post to this one. ;)

They added more starlights in the last few days, so I need to add a few more.
How about a spreadsheet with Dahua Starlight cameras? That might be easier to slice and dice for comparison. I have been meaning to work on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Arise

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, hadn't been on here in quite some time. What is the general consensus for the BEST LOWLIGHT TURRET camera out there right now (best bang for buck)? Is it still the Dahua 2mp Starlight 5231R-Z?

Also, what's the difference between the R-Z and R-ZE models?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, nothing has replaced the 5231R-Z yet.

The E at the end is for ePoE which means it is designed to be able to work on longer cable runs. Dahua Technology Launches ePoE IP System
ePoE is backwards-compatible with normal PoE and costs about the same, so if you don't mind the cosmetic differences that come along with ePoE models, feel free to choose them too.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, hadn't been on here in quite some time. What is the general consensus for the BEST LOWLIGHT TURRET camera out there right now (best bang for buck)? Is it still the Dahua 2mp Starlight 5231R-Z?

Also, what's the difference between the R-Z and R-ZE models?
The fixed focal length starlights are the best bang for the buck, but yes the VariFocal’s are the second-best and optimal for installation flexibility.

The differences between the R-Z and the R-ZE are mostly cosmetic and slight differences in zoom range. FYI: The R-Z are going out of production in May.

xlarons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Question, if I have an external light source at night (30W Led security floodlight) , is there a better camera than another to choose for nighttime?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Starlight cams will still do better. 30 watts of LED is significant but it isn't exactly like the sun.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Starlight cams will still do better. 30 watts of LED is significant but it isn't exactly like the sun.
I'm amazed at how long my fixed starlights can hang onto color mode. My northeast facing camera doesn't switch to B&W mode until about 20 minutes after sunset. The one facing northwest switches about 4-5 minutes later. By that point, it's pretty damn dark outside.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm amazed at that too, but because the weather and overall conditions aren't necessarily the same day to day, I prefer to run any camera on a schedule.

I'm amazed at how long my fixed starlights can hang onto color mode. My northeast facing camera doesn't switch to B&W mode until about 20 minutes after sunset. The one facing northwest switches about 4-5 minutes later. By that point, it's pretty damn dark outside.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Also if you can afford the "larger sized" vari-focal, I'd recommend anyone going the vari-focal route before any consideration for a fixed focal length. :)

The fixed focal length starlights are the best bang for the buck, but yes the VariFocal’s are the second-best and optimal for installation flexibility.

The differences between the R-Z and the R-ZE are mostly cosmetic and slight differences in zoom range. FYI: The R-Z are going out of production in May.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is the "Starlight advantage" just being able to have better ambient light capture during low light in color mode or does it provide any advantage in B&W\IR mode also?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the "Starlight advantage" just being able to have better ambient light capture during low light in color mode or does it provide any advantage in B&W\IR mode also?
The Starlight cameras have better all around low light performance. You'll see the best low light performance when using IR

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a 20W and a 15W both on my back yard plus an on all the time 5w lamp, all LED. Although the light is good enough to see and enough top deter most thieves as they're certainly exposed, it certainly isn't daylight bright and the range is limited. Although I don't have a camera set up on the yard, I would be very surprised if it was sufficient to produce a perfect picture for a camera with limited night ability. I would liken the light levels to dusk, maybe 10-20 minutes before total nightime, so that basis any camera would need to perform well at low dusk. Just to be clear, the 15w and 20w point in different directions (90 degrees to each other) so there's no real discernible light reinforcement from either. I'll try and take a picture tonight if it helps to help show the light levels.

In my opinion, if he wants to go down the route of lighting instead of low light performance, he should look at one of the higher wattage LED floods. Several manufacturers make them now in 100-300W range (random web search so not a recommendation either way for this site) eg: 300W (2600W Equiv) LED Low Energy Floodlight - Daylight White

As you can see from the specs, the 300W claims a 23,000 lumen output and equivalency to a 2,300W Halogen.

In my opinion, something like that on a PIR (s) or some kind of trigger from the CCTV detection, would be more suitable and should be affordable if only programmed to come on if someone is detected.

BTW, there are numerous vendors on Amazon at lower prices, although high wattage lights carry a premium. Again this is no recommendation for any vendor any way.

Failing that, starlight is the way to go.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 20W and a 15W both on my back yard plus an on all the time 5w lamp, all LED. Although the light is good enough to see and enough top deter most thieves as they're certainly exposed, it certainly isn't daylight bright and the range is limited. Although I don't have a camera set up on the yard, I would be very surprised if it was sufficient to produce a perfect picture for a camera with limited night ability. I would liken the light levels to dusk, maybe 10-20 minutes before total nightime, so that basis any camera would need to perform well at low dusk. Just to be clear, the 15w and 20w point in different directions (90 degrees to each other) so there's no real discernible light reinforcement from either. I'll try and take a picture tonight if it helps to help show the light levels.

In my opinion, if he wants to go down the route of lighting instead of low light performance, he should look at one of the higher wattage LED floods. Several manufacturers make them now in 100-300W range (random web search so not a recommendation either way for this site) eg: 300W (2600W Equiv) LED Low Energy Floodlight - Daylight White

As you can see from the specs, the 300W claims a 23,000 lumen output and equivalency to a 2,300W Halogen.

In my opinion, something like that on a PIR (s) or some kind of trigger from the CCTV detection, would be more suitable and should be affordable if only programmed to come on if someone is detected.

BTW, there are numerous vendors on Amazon at lower prices, although high wattage lights carry a premium. Again this is no recommendation for any vendor any way.

Failing that, starlight is the way to go.
There is always the chance you can miss a important event when using motion detection lights. It takes the cam a couple of seconds to adjust to the light change.