Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is why I've started leaning toward more 24hr recording on nvr's and BI, just using the graph for visual motion detection indication. Motion detection in general just isn't 100%.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Hah, that is like a whole fleet of car headlights. Should do the trick until it burns out.
TBH, LED are usually very reliable if properly constructed and specc'ed. I replaced my current 30W LED with the 15w and 20w simply to get better coverage, but after 6 years, the 30W was still going strong. They reckon the bulb life of most LED's is around 14 years @ 10hrs per day. All the light bulbs inside my house are LED and on for considerable periods each evening. In 5 years, I've never had to replace one either through dimming or failure. Obviously a security light is only on for short periods and so technically should last longer.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a 20W and a 15W both on my back yard plus an on all the time 5w lamp, all LED.
Photos as promised:

Set Up:

Light levels around the edge of the grass is around 15 feet from the source:

Probably should have said the diagonal across the grass is at 45% to both lights, so the grass just gets the over spill out of the side of each reflector. However, you take my point when I say it's bright enough to deter - maybe a bit brighter than it appears here even, but you would probably want bigger lights for a security cam that only functions well in daylight.

Last edited:

ray-zin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm amazed at how long my fixed starlights can hang onto color mode. My northeast facing camera doesn't switch to B&W mode until about 20 minutes after sunset. The one facing northwest switches about 4-5 minutes later. By that point, it's pretty damn dark outside.
I'm thinking of getting something like this mounted inside looking out through a 1-way glass window. - I know that IR will not work through a window so if the area is very well lit on the other side of the window do you thing one of these 2mp starlight turrets will work ok?

thanks.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting something like this mounted inside looking out through a 1-way glass window. - I know that IR will not work through a window so if the area is very well lit on the other side of the window do you thing one of these 2mp starlight turrets will work ok?

thanks.
I've never tried that, but I see a few potential problems:

1) I'm not sure how much light transmission the 1 way glass allows so you may be getting less light to the sensor than you think. But lots of ambient light will help overcome this.

2) You'd want to keep the camera right up against the glass and keep the area behind it dark. Maybe build some kind of enclosure for it.

3) The extra glass in front of the camera will increase lens flare, washing out the picture and possibly blinding the camera if there are strong light sources outside, such as the sun.

Tengu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a question and instead of open another thread I thought here is a great place to ask it as most of my new cameras are Starlight.
Do you have the change the admin password straight away? Can I leave it as admin and just change it via the webGUI when I'm ready?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a question and instead of open another thread I thought here is a great place to ask it as most of my new cameras are Starlight.
Do you have the change the admin password straight away? Can I leave it as admin and just change it via the webGUI when I'm ready?

Nope it has to be changed first time logging into the cam, which you should do. Takes 30 seconds.

ray-zin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've never tried that, but I see a few potential problems:

1) I'm not sure how much light transmission the 1 way glass allows so you may be getting less light to the sensor than you think. But lots of ambient light will help overcome this.

2) You'd want to keep the camera right up against the glass and keep the area behind it dark. Maybe build some kind of enclosure for it.

3) The extra glass in front of the camera will increase lens flare, washing out the picture and possibly blinding the camera if there are strong light sources outside, such as the sun.
Thanks for the very useful pointers. I think I'll get one and try it out as you suggested. Right up against the glass and dark behind.

condor11

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like IPC-HDW5231R-Z is no longer available? Which mode is the successor to it?

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trying to find IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE on @EMPIRETECANDY store, can't locate it. Is it superseded by another model? I like IPC-HDW5231R-ZE but looking at fixed lens also with similar lux rating.
Thanks.

Reaction score

sipekey

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all

I very new to this forum and I am not too sure if I am posting this in the right thread. I just bought two DH-IPC-HDW5231RZE from aliexpress and I am having some issues with one of them. The top right and bottom left corners seems to be out of focus. I have tried focusing it manually through the web interface but it seems that those 2 corners are always blurry.

Can I please get some help ( I am currently running BI with a mixture of dahua and hikvision cameras)cam1 and cam2 comparison.JPG Cam2 image.JPG

Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all

I very new to this forum and I am not too sure if I am posting this in the right thread. I just bought two DH-IPC-HDW5231RZE from aliexpress and I am having some issues with one of them. The top right and bottom left corners seems to be out of focus. I have tried focusing it manually through the web interface but it seems that those 2 corners are always blurry.

Can I please get some help ( I am currently running BI with a mixture of dahua and hikvision cameras)View attachment 31203 View attachment 31204

Thanks.
Welcome @sipekey

Have you tried cleaning the lens?

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
To me it looks more like the lens is not fitted right. Focus shifting.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Matt200

Thanks for the reply. That is the first thing I did when I saw that the image was blurry=S

Still no good. Do you reckon there is any settings that can be tweaked to rectify that?
its defective, you can try zooming in just a hair and refucusing to see if it helps...otherwise send it back.

sipekey

n3wb
Reaction score
There have been other reports of this issue with this cam. Turns out the lens is bad in most case's.
its defective, you can try zooming in just a hair and refucusing to see if it helps...otherwise send it back.
Thanks all.

I guess I will need to send it back. I was hoping I it was a software issue that could be corrected. Oh well I guess I have got to send it back to the seller.

Thanks for the reply.