Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
found a couple nice videos of the Ultra Starlight Varifocal Bullet (the big sensor starlight), mine should be here early this week

I'll be interested to see how they compare but I know with a bigger sensor and much better lux number the damn thing may never even need IR lol.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I kinda want a Sky cam now lol, if I wasent in the middle of DIA's flight path I imagine I could setup intrusion detection on that and have bolides flagged in the timeline :)

im too deep into town to make it worth while, perhaps this will be a project for post retirement on that south pacific island ;)

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I kinda want a Sky cam now lol, if I wasent in the middle of DIA's flight path I imagine I could setup intrusion detection on that and have bolides flagged in the timeline :)

im too deep into town to make it worth while, perhaps this will be a project for post retirement on that south pacific island ;)
coupled to flightradar24 to get ID and then add an overlay flag following the plane "enhanced reality style"

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah those white face ptz's are beasts thats for sure..

bummer, so I guess that leaves me with the SD52C225U-HNI, as much as I hate domes outdoors at least this is on north side of house and protected from rain/snow.. suppose I could run it w/out the dome if it becomes obnoxious for any reason.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep, if my current black face ptz was a dome it'd be crap now with all the sun it gets..

wife will never accept a big ptz on the front of the house right next to the door.. the ceiling ptz's only have 3.85" height and 5.5" in width exposed once its mounted flush (even less if I run it w/out the dome).. and the area is lit well enough that a starlight w/out IR would do just fine I think, turning off the IR on my mini-ptz when security lights are on makes little difference, ive ran it with IR off for a while and it did just fine.. it is sensitive to IR so I can always add external illuminators on key targets.

compared to the mini ptz thats not much more exposed camera.. but I'll have WDR which I need desperately, blazing fast speeds, alarm IO, Starlight capabilities, IVS/Autotracking, and far more zoom than I'd know what to do with.

odds are unless it just looks very funky, I'll run this domeless..

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah those white face ptz's are beasts thats for sure..

bummer, so I guess that leaves me with the SD52C225U-HNI, as much as I hate domes outdoors at least this is on north side of house and protected from rain/snow.. suppose I could run it w/out the dome if it becomes obnoxious for any reason.
I'd be worried the thing wouldn't last long without the dome on it, they probably assume it will be the protection so taking it off probably leaves it totally open to any little thing lol.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
yep, if my current black face ptz was a dome it'd be crap now with all the sun it gets..

wife will never accept a big ptz on the front of the house right next to the door.. the ceiling ptz's only have 3.85" height and 5.5" in width exposed once its mounted flush (even less if I run it w/out the dome).. and the area is lit well enough that a starlight w/out IR would do just fine I think, turning off the IR on my mini-ptz when security lights are on makes little difference, ive ran it with IR off for a while and it did just fine.. it is sensitive to IR so I can always add external illuminators on key targets.

compared to the mini ptz thats not much more exposed camera.. but I'll have WDR which I need desperately, blazing fast speeds, alarm IO, Starlight capabilities, IVS/Autotracking, and far more zoom than I'd know what to do with.

odds are unless it just looks very funky, I'll run this domeless..
Yeah, I haven't actually told the wife I bought a PTZ so I guess we will see if she shits a bird when I tell her I want to hang it off the front of the house, if not I might be able to get away with it on the side where I would still be able to see the interesting end of the neighborhood where all the cars come in and out lol. We rent so that's another thing but I figure the landlord will most likely keep our security deposit anyways so I'm not really worried about a few holes on the eaves and or roof.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We rent so that's another thing but I figure the landlord will most likely keep our security deposit anyways so I'm not really worried about a few holes on the eaves and or roof.
If you do damage to the house in excess of your deposit, the landlord can come after you in court. Plan on repairing things yourself.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
If you do damage to the house in excess of your deposit, the landlord can come after you in court. Plan on repairing things yourself.
True, but I don't think small deck screw holes here and there would exceed $850 but who knows, I suppose people can make crap up. I could easily patch tiny holes like that myself though.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Bit of dirt on the walls and he can bill you for repainting. Never depend on getting your deposit back. For screw holes? I'd take him to small claims court, but I don't think a landlord generally needs major damage to seize a DD. Local laws will vary quite a bit anyway. Treat him (and your place) right and keep your fingers crossed he does the same.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Bit of dirt on the walls and he can bill you for repainting. Never depend on getting your deposit back. For screw holes? I'd take him to small claims court, but I don't think a landlord generally needs major damage to seize a DD. Local laws will vary quite a bit anyway. Treat him (and your place) right and keep your fingers crossed he does the same.
I absolutely do not expect to get my deposit back, I didn't in the last place and the carpet was screwed and we actually made it look better than did before before we moved in. I always write the deposit off, I don't believe anyone ever gets it back but I could be wrong, they can claim the normal wear and tear of just living some place is enough to keep it, which is garbage. My landlord isn't to bad I don't think she would take me to court but I might just call her and ask if she cares if I throw a few cameras up outside lol.