Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I kinda want a Sky cam now lol, if I wasent in the middle of DIA's flight path I imagine I could setup intrusion detection on that and have bolides flagged in the timeline :)

im too deep into town to make it worth while, perhaps this will be a project for post retirement on that south pacific island ;)
Already working on it... ;-)

Attachments

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. Windows 7 with WebComponents running in a VM under Linux. I never got HikVision video to work properly in Linux. On my HikVision NVR, none of the video worked because WebComponents was required and good luck getting that working on Linux. This is still correct as of the latest 3.4.91 firmware that I installed onto my NVR yesterday. Then on another system where I was connecting directly to the camera, VLC was an option for Live View. I installed the VLC Add-On to Firefox in Linux and it worked (Or at least used to. Not today...) But it won't work in Playback because the Web interface doesn't have VLC as an option! Yes, HikVision crap remote software again.

Now this is a Dahua thread so it is worth pointing out that on an initial try, I can't view or playback Dahua NVR video either under Linux because Dahua requires all sorts of proprietary software to be downloaded as well and there isn't a Linux version that I know of.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm only using Firefox on Linux. Opera didn't give me any joy either. Chrome, Big Brother, dare I install it...

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
his pc swings both ways..
I suspected as much. I just didn't want to assume. :)

Dual boot these days? Yeah, I used to do it. But unless you need the performance for gaming, with VM's, I don't see the need as much. I've got a new Dell XPS 13 with the i7 and it cold boots Windows 7 in 17 seconds. Shutdown is 7 seconds. Microsoft has been pulling all sorts funky tricks to speed up the boot & shutdown sequence of Windows since after NT 4.0 (Remember that - the last true OS product from Microsoft, which of course they stole from IBM OS/2 - MS developers wrote it under contract for IBM then abandoned it for NT). But it's never a true cold boot now and there are all sorts of ramifications. Try buying a laptop from Dell or Lenevo now and torching the OS. With UEFI it can be a major pain. Took me 2 days to scrub Windows off the XPS 13 and put on Linux. Working on it now with a new Lenovo Carbon X. Even harder. But a joy once you get it going.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

Dual boot these days? Yeah, I used to do it. But unless you need the performance for gaming, with VM's, I don't see the need as much. I've got a new Dell XPS 13 with the i7 and it cold boots Windows 7 in 17 seconds. Shutdown is 7 seconds. Microsoft has been pulling all sorts funky tricks to speed up the boot & shutdown sequence of Windows since after NT 4.0 (Remember that - the last true OS product from Microsoft, which of course they stole from IBM OS/2 - MS developers wrote it under contract for IBM then abandoned it for NT). But it's never a true cold boot now and there are all sorts of ramifications. Try buying a laptop from Dell or Lenevo now and torching the OS. With UEFI it can be a major pain. Took me 2 days to scrub Windows off the XPS 13 and put on Linux. Working on it now with a new Lenovo Carbon X. Even harder. But a joy once you get it going.
I had a dual boot of windows when I was playing eve online. my laptop is a dell m4800 mobile workstation with an m4800 i7, 32 gig of ram, and two samsung evo SSD's, an 850 and an 840. I had a VM of windows but I was playing around with some stuff and blew all of my virtual box VMs away, believe me, I only use native windows when I have to, I get enough of it all day doing support at work.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

Also, I bought this Dell laptop not too long ago and I was able to choose no OS as an option, I saved $110 not paying the microsoft fee. :p

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, I bought this Dell laptop not too long ago and I was able to choose no OS as an option, I saved $110 not paying the microsoft fee. :p
Hmmm. I never saw that option on my Dell XPS 13, which I bought in November. Pity.

Yes, for gaming, I agree. I'm a pilot and used to use MS flight simulator for brush up on instrument approach procedures so I had to keep a Windows machine around for that. Intensive CPU wise. I've switched to X-Plane for Linux.

But getting a little off topic. I'll shut up now. Back to cameras. I need to order some Dahua's when they finally start shipping again.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
got all 4 of my Starlights Live Streaming right now for those of you wanting to see them perform in real world:

At first I was like "man!! that very blurry camera and mine aren't installed yet!!" Then I realized that YouTube have my player default at 480p so when I changed it to 1080p. The video was crisp and sharp .... Phew *wiping my forehead*

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah the app im using is re-encoding everything; its crushing my laptop and I had to plug it into the ethernets because doing it all on WiFi was resulting in tears from dropped iframes..

quality is alot better with out all this crap in the way heh

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
got all 4 of my Starlights Live Streaming right now for those of you wanting to see them perform in real world:
Hi nayr, mind telling us what software you used to live stream?

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nayr,
I like the live stream, are you going to keep it running or is this temporary?
What's the chance yo could label each camera with the model number?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they are labeled with model number, this is just temporary

using manycam for the effects and ffmpeg for the long term performance

Last edited: