Dahua 4mp, 6mm turrets (IPC-HDW4421C)

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got couple IPC-HDBW4421E from Amazon and they have 2.400.000.23.R Build 2015-12-15. My understanding is that it shares the firmware with IPC-HDW4421C. According to Dahua naming conversion, only the housing is different.
So, 23R is the latest? Is there any newer one? Too bad I can't save it from the camera and share with you guys. I am in USA so I need English NTSC version.

2016-08-18 07_50_42-Setup.jpg

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You are basing the fact that HDBW4421E and HDW4421C share the numbers that they have the same firmware?

Why do you want to update it? I fear you are on a one-way path to bricking your camera for no good reason.

Ask your supplier for newer firmware for Dahuas.

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Google "Dahua Name Convention". Here is the capture of what you need to read.

2016-08-18 10_29_32-Template_NameConvention - Dahua Wiki.jpg

Except for Pal or NTSC, Chinese or English, each firmware is for a family of cameras. I bet IPC-HDW4421C shares the same firmware with IPC-HDBW4421E.
I am upgrading 20 analog cameras for a commerical bldg. I am trying to set these Dahua cameras to record via NAS to a synology NFS share. We tried some
IPC-IPC-HDBW2300R and they do not work at all - they can't playback via smart PSS. We have 4 of these IPC-HDBW4421E and we are still bench-testing them. When the synology is full, they do not delete old files and 2 of them don't record when set to motion detect. We are also bench-testing some DH-IPC-HDBW2320R-ZS and recording to the local SD card is fine, playing back with Smart PSS is fine.

A lot of trouble when recording to NFS. Currently only HikVision and Dahua do that. I chose Dahua and that might be a bad choice.

I do not upgrade firmware just for fun. I did ask the seller. No reply.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to get a Dahua NVR, recording to a NAS sucks in comparison.. no firmware update is going to remove the suck.

If you have a 20 camera system in a Commercial Setting.. why shove in some 3rd party hardly supported recording device when you can just use something actually designed for this task.

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Because it is supposed to work. If it doesn't then it is false advertisement.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they just have to say it dont support your NAS, they did not advertise it working with Synology.. and it does record, didnt say it would give you all the features of a NVR.. run a cleanup script on your nas to delete old files.

these forums are full of people bitching about NAS solutions, from every vendor.. Hikvision mostly, but even Dahua..

Why dont you use the Synology Surveillance Station that uses ONVIF that actively saves the streams directly and can understand motion events? that would scale much better than remote disk storage.. NAS is just many added levels of complexity with no actual benifit.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Google "Dahua Camera Bricked", it really is a thing and thinking you are right is not the same as knowing. I like to be sure before doing stuff that might brick my camera but each to their own.

I don't think Synology copes with that many of these too well.

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
these forums are full of people bitching about NAS solutions, from every vendor.. Hikvision mostly, but even Dahua..

Why dont you use the Synology Surveillance Station that uses ONVIF that actively saves the streams directly and can understand motion events? that would scale much better than remote disk storage.. NAS is just many added levels of complexity with no actual benifit.
It is not called bitching. If they advertise it to work with NFS, which is a standard, and it doesn't work with most of the NFS solution out there, then it is a false advertisement. We do not live in your perfect world and we do not want to spend money on more hardware. Synology surveillance station licenses are not cheap.

If it has a feature to record to NAS (NFS - a simply industrial standard), then I have a choice what NAS (NFS) I can use and it should work unless they SPECIFICIALLY say it will work with their NAS only.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
but it does record to the NFS does it not? Your just upset that the camera does not manage the free space; when traditionally this is not its job.. as the recording device is often desired to manage free space because it scales properly without issue.. why have a few dozen devices constantly polling disk usage with potential race conditions existing when they dont need to.

False Advertisement is more times than not a excuse threat of the ignorant.. just because it dont work the way you want it to dont mean it dont work the way they designed it to.

but whatever, NFS is a standard.. with a handful of versions and subversions with varying specifications and there is no MUST support in the protocol for client features you are demanding.. so, in the end.. your just bitching.

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh man, you work for Dahua and you don't like consumers pushing for improvement? I am done here!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nope I work for another company that makes IP Cameras, networking gear, and fileservers.. just telling you how it is, dont want to hear it then.. well cya.

your trying to do a fairly large scale mix-and match cluster fuck and then bitching your not getting all the features you thought you'd get.. well, hate to break it to you.. welcome to the industry, everyone here will tell you this is how it is and you made a fatal mistake designing a video surveillance system this way.

fabads

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It didn't seem to work, it depends too much on available light. The bright side is that you can definitely get a better picture, it's only a matter of finding the sweet spot. After hours of tweaking last night it appeared that Defog set to the minimum can help reduce noise. The last profile I settled with for now has very little noise and a good IR range but is worse for motion compared to the previous profile. It's still a work in progress but I have to say that I like both the day and night picture now.

For a night profile it depends on the priority. We can have one or the other but not both:
Better movement (shorter exposure) but darker and with more noise
or
Better light and less noise but with blurry movement
It's possible to have good movement and a bright picture but with a ton of noise and blown whites.

Here are some tips for each setting:
Brightness: don't increase too much, no more than 55 for Night in my case and only if it doesn't blow out the whites too much.
Contrast: for Night can be lowered a bit to get more light in dark corners if there's enough exposure/gain.
Sharpness: for Night 70 is the limit here. 70 to 74 looks the same and 75 introduces too much noise to be useful.
Gamma: for Day Gamma 0 helps get back some contrast when enabling WDR. Saturation needs to be increased with WDR On.
Exposure: for Night increase to get more light (try 150ms) but it will make motion worse
Exposure Gain: for Night increase to get more light but can blow out whites and introduce too much noise
Defog: for Night set to "Manual 1, Manual 1" to remove more noise in addition to the 3D NR

The settings that made the difference for me were:
Day: Gamma 0 to get back some contrast with WDR
Night: Exposure set to Manual and Defog set to Manual &, Manual 1 to reduce noise further than with 3D NR alone.

Newer Night profiles from last night, I tried to reduce the noise and increase the light again.

- low noise, good IR, good for fine detail
It seems to hit a sweet spot here with less noise and more detail than I thought was possible.
Brightness 55
Contrast 48
Saturation 0
Sharpness 70
Gamma 100
Exposure Manual, Customized, 120 150, 0 50
Day & Night Black & White
BLC Off
3D NR 80
Defog Manual 1, Manual 1

- plenty of light, decent noise
Brightness 51
Contrast 45
Saturation 0
Sharpness 70
Gamma 100
Exposure Manual, Customized, 120 150, 0 85
Day & Night Black & White
BLC Off
3D NR 80
Defog Manual 1, Manual 1
Hello, First of all thanks for this useful information! I'm playing with a 4431C-A and try to apply these settings. My cam is connected to a Dahua 4208-8P-4K NVR and I was wondering how you can change automatically the night / day profile according to time or day light ... I don't see such parameters in the NVR.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to get a Dahua NVR, recording to a NAS sucks in comparison.. no firmware update is going to remove the suck.
Do you have a recommendation for one that is a good value? I have one of these turrets and I'm ready to mount it but it doesn't have a built in DVR like the Hik's. Would like to get something that can do up to 8 cameras and record sound too.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
with the right firmware it supports it if the cameras are dahua w/said features

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
with the right firmware it supports it if the cameras are dahua w/said features
Okay, thanks. I thought I read in another thread that there were different pn's of this NVR for those features (IVS?)