Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware

iTuneDVR

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
He was worried why I've changed the key, it could mean ill intent without knowing what it is used for.
I'm not worried ;)
For me all is clear!
Just ask comment for others and nothing more.
You understand that people trust you and your modifired firmware when upgrade theis IPC.

AKalm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any ideas what firmware should I try to upgrade my HDB4300C?
I can't find the proper one (tried >30). All upgrades succesfully, but sonia fails to start

long

n3wb
Reaction score
hi , i have model
IPC-HFW4233M-I2-V2 chinese
please give me englich firmwave
thank
ps: my english not good, sorry

oscarrines

n3wb
Reaction score
Can confirm that the mod-kit also works for customizing VTOXXX SIP firmware - thanks for all the effort and explanations to make it available.

I have a question though regarding squashfs part of the build.py - it fails at building user-x.cramfs.img complaining mksquashfs3 does not exist. The script seems to be calling different mksquashfs binaries/version in respect to different headers. As much as I searched, I could not find any information regarding different mksquashfs binaries.

Hence I tried "ln -s mksquashfs mksquashfs3", after which the build.py ran fine. However, the VTO bricked after uploading this new firmware. When I connected to the device via serial, I saw that the boot failed because the VTO could not mount this squashfs image to /usr. Thus I tftp'ed the user-x image from the original firmware (I did not need any changes with it anyway) and VTO booted OK with everything functional.

I will appreciate any help regarding the next two points:

1- Obviously mksquashfs3 is required. I checked the fork at github BotoXas instructed in the mod-kit's readme, but the makefile here also seems to produce only mksquashfs. Where can I obtain this ?

2- Although I added /sbin/utelnetd (which I downloaded from here) to the image and added changed rcS, utelnetd does not seem to work. When I do /sbin/utelnetd from the command line obtained with serial connection, I get /bin/sh command not found.

oscarrines

n3wb
Reaction score
1- Obviously mksquashfs3 is required. I checked the fork at github BotoXas instructed in the mod-kit's readme, but the makefile here also seems to produce only mksquashfs. Where can I obtain this ?
I resolved this by building mksquashfs from the version 3.4 source (obviously Ubuntu Zesty omits to package version 3 and 4 together).

utelnetd remains to be an issue. Any hints there ?

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI guys,

Do you know if it's possible to use this mod kit to patch a international firmware for a Chinese version of HDBW5231R-Z?

This is the cam
IPC-HDBW5231R-Z | Dahua Technology

The English firmware I can't use:
Index of /Dahua/kamerove_systemy/_Firmware/04IPC/04-Eco-savvy 2.0/DH/DH_IPC-HX5XXX-Eos_Eng_P_128M_Stream3_V2.420.0000.22.R.20161209

Thanks for the help
Here is a quick patch: https://i.botox.bz/DH_IPC-HX5XXX-Eos_Eng_P_128M_Stream3_V2.420.0000.22.R.20161209.bin

Nicko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Cor35vet!

As I have Chinese version, these no much risk of brick with this version?
Is brick, is it still possible to recover via serial? Because I can't find anywhere the Chinese firmware for this cam!

Do you get telnet enabled again?

Thanks a lot for that!

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Cor35vet!

As I have Chinese version, these no much risk of brick with this version?
Is brick, is it still possible to recover via serial? Because I can't find anywhere the Chinese firmware for this cam!

Do you get telnet enabled again?

Thanks a lot for that!
I only patched the region check in the english firmware you sent me.

Recovery without firmware, good question...
You could get into the camera if you have a serial adapter and the knowledge and dump the current firmware.

Bricking isn't very likely once that part of the code is patched, since that is the only place where it checks if the camera is international or chinese.

I've added telnet on port 2300 to the image now:
https://i.botox.bz/DH_IPC-HX5XXX-Eos_Eng_P_128M_Stream3_V2.420.0000.22.R.20161209.bin

Nicko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your help

I have 2 cams like that, if one get brick, i can get firmware from the other.

Is it hard to do it? do you know where i can find a howto to extract, dump and burn again the current firmware?

I wait for your answer before trying it!

Many, Many thanks for your help

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for your help

I have 2 cams like that, if one get brick, i can get firmware from the other.

Is it hard to do it? do you know where i can find a howto to extract, dump and burn again the current firmware?

I wait for your answer before trying it!

Many, Many thanks for your help
"Is it hard to do it?" - Not for me?
If you have a USB to UART (serial) converter and used linux before then it's definitely possible.
You can try Dahua IPC unbricking / recovery over serial UART and TFTP
and do the ping $serverip part to check if your camera can do TFTP recovery.

Which firmware version is your camera on right now?

Nicko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know a bit linux, i have several linux server, so i'm not afraid of shell! I also do some linux and raspberry stuff

my version is

telnet is lock on this version

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know a bit linux, i have several linux server, so i'm not afraid of shell! I also do some linux and raspberry stuff

my version is

telnet is lock on this version
Good, you should try this now:
You can try Dahua IPC unbricking / recovery over serial UART and TFTP
and do the ping $serverip part to check if your camera can do TFTP recovery.
and if that works then you know that you can restore the camera from u-boot if it doesn't boot anymore.
And I've also restored the camera with a raspberry pi and a clip like this before: SOIC8 SOP8 Flash Chip IC Test Clips Socket Adpter BIOS/24/25/93 Programmer
So even if the boot loader is fucked you can still restore it from your other camera.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Nicko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok; so i'll first try to ping over serial UART

thanks, i'll keep you in touch

Nicko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a FTDI usb TTL 3,3v converter i use to flash esp8266 or some Avr, it seems ok to connect to the cam!

Nicko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm thinking of something, if I connect by serial UART, why not just change the language file directly without flashing by webservice? Is it not more safe?

Also can you tell me the cmd to dump the complete firmware?

Many thanks

Last edited: