Dahua IPC-HFW4431R-Z - English or Chinese firmware?

Reaction score
I am chatting with an eBay seller of open-box merchandise and they have a Dahua IPC-HFW4431R-Z available. He had the photo saying English firmware but when I asked him he said he wasn't sure. So I have 2.5 questions:

1) Is there anyway to tell from the box, without plugging the camera in, what type of firmware is installed. I thought this model might indicate that but now that I realize that this is a "Chinese" camera it is possible that it still has Chinese firmware since he is uncertain.

2) If this does have Chinese firmware can I use instructions on this forum to flash this to English firmware with minimal difficulties? I am pretty technical and doing some searches for this camera seemed to indicate this was possible and relatively easy with everyone's help. However, I am a NOOB when it comes to cameras so I wanted to ask.

2.5) Is this is decent camera for me to start with to get things dialed in because the focal length/zoom is adjustable? I know this isn't a "starlight" Dahua but this will be in the front with street lights + dusk/dawn porch light/garage ligh and motion security light. Even if I use this in the backyard we also have motion security lights so it is not pitch black. FYI, I don't want to spend more than $100 per camera (preferably less) since I need to get 5 cameras to go with my Netgear POE switch and SFF PC I plan to use with Blue Iris.

Thanks in advance for your input. This forum is awesome. Best,

Reaction score
One other question - how does this compare the the "US" version of the Dahua IPC-HFW5431E-Z? Are the specs similar with the main difference being the firmware? Best,

Reaction score
Bump - anyone. Should I buy this cam knowing I can flash this even if it isn't English firmware? Is there any risk in doing so (besides bricking in it)? I want to get back to this seller and negotiate a better deal if possible. Thx.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Look at the Wiki link at the top of the page for the Cliff Notes for recommendations and where to buy. @EMPIRETECANDY is very responsive and will get you an international camera quickly if you order from him. Also you will know the camera you get from him will support firmware upgrades if needed.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Running both of these models I'll give a quick comparison. You already know about the pixel count difference I assume. The 4431R-Z is a chinese market camera sold with the firmware hacked to work in english. The 5231E-Z is an international market model that supports english language natively. With one exception, I believe they are equal in terms of build quality and reliability. The exception is that the mounting base of the 5231E-Z is a higher end design, making aiming a bit easier. Appearance-wise, the 4431R-Z is smaller, but its "in your face" whitish colored leds could be seen as ugly in some eyes. Feature-wise, the 5231E-Z has audio and alarm I/O lines that the 4431R-Z doesn't have. Image-wise, in bright light the 4431R-Z will show small details a bit better thanks to its higher pixel count. In low light and under IR light, the 5231E-Z is the hands-down winner.

I've bought two 4431R-Zs a couple of years ago. At that time it was a very clear cost-vs-light level tradeoff. Since then a couple of things have changed:
(1) Dahua's new nvr firmware rejects the chinese market cameras. Not an issue if you use BI.
(2) The latest camera firmware lets you have separate day and night exposure settings, a big deal in some situations. This might or might not sometime become available in the 4431R-Z, but it's nothing you can count on.

So it's still a cost-vs-capability tradeoff, but the comparative value of the 4431R-Z is less than it used to be. Two newer international models, the HDW-2231R-ZS turret and HFW-2231T-ZS bullet give the image of the 5231E-Z with the feature set of the 4431R-Z. Their price is in-between the 4431R-Z and 5231E-Z. I have no regrets over getting the chinese market cameras in the past. For me (using a dahua nvr), the changes I noted above have tipped the scale in favor of the the international models for future additions.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you ask Andy (email), he can most likely get it for you even if he doesn't stock it. Although he is in Hong Kong so probably won't respond for 5 hours or so.

Last edited:

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can use a turret if you can, turret is smaller and looks better than the bullet one.
On the other hand a large bullet camera is more threatening and decreases potential threats. I read yesterday about the enormous and increasing amount of cameras in China. Big domestic market and the Chinese only versions can not be that bad.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
On the other hand a large bullet camera is more threatening and decreases potential threats. I read yesterday about the enormous and increasing amount of cameras in China. Big domestic market and the Chinese only versions can not be that bad.
the turret is just as noticeable but looks better and has less issues with spiders and cannot be knocked out of position as easily.....the bullet is an inferior design in all respects.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the turret is just as noticeable but looks better and has less issues with spiders and cannot be knocked out of position as easily.....the bullet is an inferior design in all respects.
I will consider buying a turret next time.

modenet

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't use HDW-2231R-ZS turret due to installation limit.
why HFW-2231T-ZS is not on aliexpress?
is there a HFW-2231T-ZS with fixed lens to save money?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 2231 models are somewhat new. If nobody has the bullet, I'm guessing it's not available yet. I do not see a fixed lens version of the Starlight 2231 turret.