Dahua NVR Reboots during the day

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, is this a particular model of Dahua DVR's or all of them? I'm getting ready to order cameras and a DVR but not if its going to not work? I am also going to do a BI setup as well to learn and experiment with but want the DVR for the NOW and dependable plug n play.

I'm seeing things are being narrowed down to possible causes linked to Intrusion det. motion detection recording. is there anyone using a Dahua DVR with "JUST" 24/7 constant recording with nothing Extra as far as trips or pushes and if so is it dependable?

At this point If it is dependable in a plain jane 24/7 constant record state, I'm thinking just going with a BIG DVR with a butt LOAD of drives to give me all the space i need and not worry about risking reboots at this point if it can be stable. Once i learn and feel more comfortable with BI ill transition over to that and start implementing all the extras, or hopefully they have a firmware fix but i cant wait for dependable, need that now even if it means throwing money at hard drives.
Really no reason you need to do this. BI basic 24/7 recording and adding cameras isn't at all difficult. Probably less hassle than setting up an NVR.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Really no reason you need to do this. BI basic 24/7 recording and adding cameras isn't at all difficult. Probably less hassle than setting up an NVR.
especially once you have one camera set up, export config, import, change the IP, POW

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I kinda feel like these are the drawbacks of ip cameras and the nvr's that support them. This stuff seemed a lot less rare back in the analog days, when the cameras were dumb and the dvr ruled what was going on. Of course, it was analog, lol. Not much in terms of quality to miss there. I'm still analog and since testing my dahua megapixel setup its hard to look at D1 again, lol. But it is nice and problem free, that's for sure. Maybe cvi is less glitchy, I don't know. It seems to me they make ip cameras able to do it all and then when you want to use an nvr which insists IT'S in charge, everything gets into a pissing match for control. They need to make dumb ip cameras that just send a feed and let the nvr do all the work, much like analog. Then maybe things will get easier.
CVI isnt your fathers analog FWIW. I have 0 issues and good quality Dahua 2MP video with most of the same functionality as IP. 4MP, IVS, and 4K now available..My Tribrid DVR has been rock solid.
Youtube Samples

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
CVI isnt your fathers analog FWIW. I have 0 issues and good quality Dahua 2MP video with most of the same functionality as IP. 4MP, IVS, and 4K now available..My Tribrid DVR has been rock solid.
Youtube Samples
Well, I AM the fathers analog, lol. I'm getting set do redo my whole analog system. Had I used proper cables I would have gone with CVI. But I used the crap spaghetti cable so no go. So, it's IP for me. Most of the gear and cables are bought and ready.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Youtube Samples
They have several drawbacks, which for many is problematic..
1) they cannot store locally to the camera on sd card as backup.
2) They must be homerun to the DVR.
3) You cannot stream to two units simultaneously for backup...
4) you are locked into the DVR....yes you can use it a an encoder but again you rely on its operation for video..

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, I AM the fathers analog, lol. I'm getting set do redo my whole analog system. Had I used proper cables I would have gone with CVI. But I used the crap spaghetti cable so no go. So, it's IP for me. Most of the gear and cables are bought and ready.
will this be the stuff you've had in a box for like a year?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They have several drawbacks, which for many is problematic..
1) they cannot store locally to the camera on sd card as backup.
2) They must be homerun to the DVR.
3) You cannot stream to two units simultaneously for backup...
4) you are locked into the DVR....yes you can use it a an encoder but again you rely on its operation for video..
5) Requires additional wiring/hardware to distribute power to the cameras.

PoE is f'n awesome.. that feature alone is the coax killer.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
5) Requires additional wiring/hardware to distribute power to the cameras.

PoE is f'n awesome.. that feature alone is the coax killer.
Exactly. Although CVI can make a ton of sense in some situations. Where I work- they want to upgrade their crap old analog system but they happen to have good cables installed in the first place. Easy to drop a CVI system in. At home though starting from scratch, IP all the way. imo.

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
especially once you have one camera set up, export config, import, change the IP, POW
Welp im basing my decisions off of experiences i have had, though those experiences are old and im open to new and Updated tech. two locations i have done service were maned with PC based camera systems (not IP based were capture cards off anolog cams) and 3 others with DVR's. The computer based camera systems were always plagued with problems while the DVR sites had none. Now, im basing my info from customers bitching and moaning and also the lack there of on sites with DVRS. But, i have no idea what these machines were running or how they were set up.

NOW, since then after being plagued with a string of vandals and attempted B&E totaling over $40,000 in damages i have been tasked with getting cameras for some locations without anything there currently. Every Pro installer i have had come out to give me estimates on camera installs on buildings im now maintaining are all going with DVR recorders, no computers, claiming ease of use and dependability.. Mind you all these guys are also all wanting to install TVI and SVI cameras systems (all said IP POE were unreliable) with all but 1 of 4 using nothing but 2.8mm lenses for EVERYTHING :banghead: and the one who was open to anything else said a 3.6 would be good enough for facial recognition on a 2mp camera mounted 14ft in the air at a distance of 57 feet.... that friends is a PPF of 20.3 :mad: I wanted to kill them ALL!!! I have a certain fair and understanding of profiling from these morons due to my Hair style (hey @nayr sound familiar) and hence they think i have a IQ matching the dog they have riding around in there install truck with them. WTF do these guys come from! and why are they not out of business.

So here i am getting ready to try and get a crash course in setting up my own camera systems and i wont have anyone but myself to yell at but at least i wont pay out my ASS for a camera system from theses fucking idiots that's barley one step above a camera from COSCO!

so um yea. enough venting LOL. I was just hoping for more of a plug n play for the moment hence my desire for a NVR. Worst case scenario ill buy way to many cameras that i wont use cause i don't know what im gonna need and ill off load them on the cheap to you guys in the classified forum section and write it off as expensive learning. :headbang:that and learn a whole alot more about computer based camera video recording. 2 is one, one is one, so having a backup or 3 isnt so bad.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welp im basing my decisions off of experiences i have had, though those experiences are old and im open to new and Updated tech. two locations i have done service were maned with PC based camera systems (not IP based were capture cards off anolog cams) and 3 others with DVR's. The computer based camera systems were always plagued with problems while the DVR sites had none. Now, im basing my info from customers bitching and moaning and also the lack there of on sites with DVRS. But, i have no idea what these machines were running or how they were set up.

NOW, since then after being plagued with a string of vandals and attempted B&E totaling over $40,000 in damages i have been tasked with getting cameras for some locations without anything there currently. Every Pro installer i have had come out to give me estimates on camera installs on buildings im now maintaining are all going with DVR recorders, no computers, claiming ease of use and dependability.. Mind you all these guys are also all wanting to install TVI and SVI cameras systems (all said IP POE were unreliable) with all but 1 of 4 using nothing but 2.8mm lenses for EVERYTHING :banghead: and the one who was open to anything else said a 3.6 would be good enough for facial recognition on a 2mp camera mounted 14ft in the air at a distance of 57 feet.... that friends is a PPF of 20.3 :mad: I wanted to kill them ALL!!! I have a certain fair and understanding of profiling from these morons due to my Hair style (hey @nayr sound familiar) and hence they think i have a IQ matching the dog they have riding around in there install truck with them. WTF do these guys come from! and why are they not out of business.

So here i am getting ready to try and get a crash course in setting up my own camera systems and i wont have anyone but myself to yell at but at least i wont pay out my ASS for a camera system from theses fucking idiots that's barley one step above a camera from COSCO!

so um yea. enough venting LOL. I was just hoping for more of a plug n play for the moment hence my desire for a NVR. Worst case scenario ill buy way to many cameras that i wont use cause i don't know what im gonna need and ill off load them on the cheap to you guys in the classified forum section and write it off as expensive learning. :headbang:that and learn a whole alot more about computer based camera video recording. 2 is one, one is one, so having a backup or 3 isnt so bad.
Buy starlights with sd card slots...pop 64gb cards in them..instant recording..
then figure the rest out...
Todays vms is not that old crap you talk about...its an entirely different ballgame.

Reactions: HMS

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Buy starlights with sd card slots...pop 64gb cards in them..instant recording..
then figure the rest out...
Todays vms is not that old crap you talk about...its an entirely different ballgame.
That sounds like a killer plan. got a list of 40 startlights all of the varifocal variety mixed in turrets bullets and some domes. gona get with andy tomorrow hopefully and see what qty's hes got on hand and adjust from there. gona get one or two of the POE powered NVRS (ones not plagued by the reboot issue) but read were it was suggested to have ( 2) 16 camera NVR vs going to a 32 camera NVR when going over 16 cameras and was hoping for a answer on why before i bought eitherway. also posted up some computers i found and hoping on a some feed back on which to get for BI.

But in the mean time Cams and memory cards sound hard to beat, Thanks for the idea. i know within usually 12 hrs max if there's been a incident and if there is ill just power down the who system, yank cards and start sorting till i find the footage i nee, though i was hoping with some warning i might get a heads up and be able to catch the theives red handed. still waiting on security systems to be installed and thats just another thing im not ready to start doing just yet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds like a killer plan. got a list of 40 startlights all of the varifocal variety mixed in turrets bullets and some domes. gona get with andy tomorrow hopefully and see what qty's hes got on hand and adjust from there. gona get one or two of the POE powered NVRS (ones not plagued by the reboot issue) but read were it was suggested to have ( 2) 16 camera NVR vs going to a 32 camera NVR when going over 16 cameras and was hoping for a answer on why before i bought eitherway. also posted up some computers i found and hoping on a some feed back on which to get for BI.

But in the mean time Cams and memory cards sound hard to beat, Thanks for the idea. i know within usually 12 hrs max if there's been a incident and if there is ill just power down the who system, yank cards and start sorting till i find the footage i nee, though i was hoping with some warning i might get a heads up and be able to catch the theives red handed. still waiting on security systems to be installed and thats just another thing im not ready to start doing just yet.
If you intend to run 32x2mp cameras, look at an i7-6700 or i7-7700 system, than can hold at least two 3.5 drives and an ssd for OS and bi...
The sd cards will be useful as backup so its a win win to start with them.
If you go with an NVR..then 2x16 is a good way to add some extra redundancy as well

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Optiplex 7040 Intel Core 6th Generation i7-6700T Processor (Quad Core, up to 3.60 GHz, 8M Cache, 35W) Windows 10 Pro 8GB (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non ECC Memory 500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) 7040 micro tower $520 a good price? add a SSD and some WD survelance drives..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Optiplex 7040 Intel Core 6th Generation i7-6700T Processor (Quad Core, up to 3.60 GHz, 8M Cache, 35W) Windows 10 Pro 8GB (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non ECC Memory 500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) 7040 micro tower $520 a good price? add a SSD and some WD survelance drives..
You dont want a T processor for your load.....you also dont want a micro tower, they only hold 2.5 drives...
problem with dell is the tower will only hold a single 3.5 drive with room for a 2.5..
That is the same as an HP SFF...the hp elitedesk tower can hold 1x2.5 and 2x 3.5...

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You dont want a T processor for your load.....you also dont want a micro tower, they only hold 2.5 drives...
problem with dell is the tower will only hold a single 3.5 drive with room for a 2.5..
That is the same as an HP SFF...the hp elitedesk tower can hold 1x2.5 and 2x 3.5...
Ok, thanks for the info, back to the hunt..

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Technically you can run cvi/tvi over cat5 using baluns, and power by "poe" but its a mess...
Which is what I have, Cat5 system at my house, and a Cat6 direct bury system on Mom's.... baluns are cheap and easy.

I do plan on adding some IP cameras just because I can with the tribrid DVR...and of course I have 5 IP cams I manage for the HOA, but right now waiting on one of the new CVI Starlights in Turret format - the CVI version of the 5231R-Z