Dahua NVR Reboots during the day

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You ruled the HD(s) out? That usually spells a hard drive biting the dust when it goes insane like that.
These are brand new hard drives. Used for one month. I highly doubt it's the drive. The smart ctl stats come back fine for the drives too. No signs of failure.

The problem is without knowing what the arbitrary error code is, it's all speculation.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
It's all plastic wire clips and ribbons inside. I you haven't, pop the top and reseat/push in wire clips and all to make sure you rule that out. I traced down a problem years ago with a dvr , where if I lost power for longer than my UPS could support, the damn thing wouldn't reboot without a lot of trouble. Finally opened it and a wire connector by the power supply was obviously loose. Reaseted it, problem solved. Fine tooth comb it just to make sure it's not something easy like that too.

Reaction score
You ruled the HD(s) out? That usually spells a hard drive biting the dust when it goes insane like that.
I did extensive (4 days) of deep 1's and 0's writing to my WD 4 TB purple before installing it in the 5216. Zero problems with the drive. My reboots mostly happen on an IVS trigger, almost immediatedly after the event. I'm getting really PO'd at how unreliable this NVR can be. Usually don't get more than 1 or 2 reboots a day. Yesterday I had no reboots at all. This after I installed SD cards in all my cams. Hoping Dahua puts some time into figuring out what the problem is. Pretty lame they can't tell you what the 0x06f error is.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I remember reading something about h265 causing issues in some cameras. What are you all recording at, h264 or h265? Maybe try h264 fully throughout the whole system?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I remember reading something about h265 causing issues in some cameras. What are you all recording at, h264 or h265? Maybe try h264 fully throughout the whole system?
I had it with both h264 and h265. FWIW, there's a bunch of us in this thread having the exact same problem.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dang you @Tygunn, you jinxed me. :D

No reboots in the past two weeks, but had three this afternoon! lol

Two changes to the environment:

Last night I changed three cameras to record only on Motion Detection. They were 24x7 before.

And today, a visiting parental unit was on the porch causing motion (doing some spring cleaning for 45 minutes) during all three reboots. This one of the three I changed from recording 24/7 to recording only on Motion Detection. So she caused a lot of Motion Detection events to happen today.

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 5.30.17 PM.png

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just checked my system logs and I also have many reboots. Flags are 0x6f (mostly) and also a couple 0x00 and 0x01

Reaction score
I switched to h265 a few days ago and that doesn't seem to have any effect. I did notice when disabling Intrusion and going to all trip wire IVS events, the reboots seemed to disappear. It looks like this is all Intrusion zone related. That sucks, because tripwire doesn't always seem to catch everything when it trips. Haven't had any reboots for 3 days now.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I switched to h265 a few days ago and that doesn't seem to have any effect. I did notice when disabling Intrusion and going to all trip wire IVS events, the reboots seemed to disappear. It looks like this is all Intrusion zone related. That sucks, because tripwire doesn't always seem to catch everything when it trips. Haven't had any reboots for 3 days now.
what if you do multiple trip wires or something lol.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
On one cam I have 5 trip wires. Each one about 1.5 feet apart. Even then, it seems you don't get an image until about the last 1 or 2 trips. Go figure. Not at all impressed with this. We need a fix for the reboot issue.
does it work much better with intrusion? this is another thing I like about blue iris, especially since i have to leave a good amount of space around my intrusion zones, I have it pre buffer like 5 seconds of video so I get plenty of the action that happened before the zone was tripped and also I get more snapshots.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
However, narrowing it down to intrusion seems to be a major breakthrough. That information must be passed on to dahua.

Reaction score
does it work much better with intrusion? this is another thing I like about blue iris, especially since i have to leave a good amount of space around my intrusion zones, I have it pre buffer like 5 seconds of video so I get plenty of the action that happened before the zone was tripped and also I get more snapshots.
Intrusion works much better at catching the action. But the reboots being the problem on an intrusion detection, makes it useless. You don't have any idea when it will happen. Very unreliable POS.

Dahua may know cameras, but not NVR's. Another issue is when a hard drive gets to 0% useable space, you don't know what the NVR does at that point. Does it keep recording? Does it automatically purge any days prior to the max number set up to keep. I set mine progressively from 10 days, to 8, then 5, then 4 and saw no difference in available disk space. Finally added another 4TB. Will see what happens with it.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was able to go for about two week using Intrusion Detection (both Crosses and Appears) on several cameras with no reboots. My reboots started happening again when I started monkeying around with settings to get more disk space... changed a few not important cameras to only record on Motion Detecion instead of 24/7. Speculating, but maybe this pushed the load on the NVR (when it creates separate video files for MD/IVS events) back over the tripping point and into reboot land for me again.

Mine kept right on recording when the disk reached 0% usable space. It appears to delete the oldest recordings as it needs space... i.e. If I try to play back video from the oldest day, the oldest video may start at 11:00AM. If I wait a few more hours and go back, the old video may be 3:00PM. Mine doesn't delete whole days at a time.

Reaction score
I was able to go for about two week using Intrusion Detection (both Crosses and Appears) on several cameras with no reboots. My reboots started happening again when I started monkeying around with settings to get more disk space... changed a few not important cameras to only record on Motion Detecion instead of 24/7. Speculating, but maybe this pushed the load on the NVR (when it creates separate video files for MD/IVS events) back over the tripping point and into reboot land for me again.

Mine kept right on recording when the disk reached 0% usable space. It appears to delete the oldest recordings as it needs space... i.e. If I try to play back video from the oldest day, the oldest video may start at 11:00AM. If I wait a few more hours and go back, the old video may be 3:00PM.
That's good info on the disk space issue. But wouldn't it be nice if they had a menu option to allow you how many days back you want to retain? Then, another option to purge by day, any day when there was no intrusions or trips. Even a linux utility for disk management. I think it's time to start playing with BI.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am running the latest firmware. Dated 07212016. It seems Dahua is notorious for not keeping up with the bugs in NVR's. Thinking of switching to BI, or at least using it as a backup.
Any thoughts on SD cards for the camera, and letting the NVR backfill missing video from reboots? Not that you should have to do that, or setup a BI system. :(

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's good info on the disk space issue. But wouldn't it be nice if they had a menu option to allow you how many days back you want to retain? Then, another option to purge by day, any day when there was no intrusions or trips. Even a linux utility for disk management. I think it's time to start playing with BI.
Those would be great features. The one I miss from Synology Surveillance Station was being able to mark a particular video so that it won't be deleted. So you can keep a history of interesting stuff on the NVR itself, vs having to download it to a computer.

Reaction score
Any thoughts on SD cards for the camera, and letting the NVR backfill missing video from reboots? Not that you should have to do that, or setup a BI system. :(
It seems ANR (1800 Seconds:default) only works when network connectivity drops and comes back. I installed 32GB microSD cards in all cams and checked over a period of a week. I was under the impression a reboot would be considered a network drop, but it seems it is not. Looking at the daily time lines for each cam, on a reboot, the black area stayed black. I thought maybe the NVR would automatically pull the missing video from each cam but I can find no evidence that this works as intended. Very disappointed in how dysfunctional (and poorly documented) this NVR is.