Dahua NVR Reboots during the day

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Your personal observation is wrong...why would you say the software is stalled? Makes no sense...what did you "personally observe"? For the record here is a list of changes since Jan 22 2017. You are putting way to much trust in a quick fix from dahua...if it is ever resolved it will take months.

4.5.3 - March 31, 2017

• Fix for browser clips list

• Security updates for FTP client components

• Security updates for web server including cache-control headers for video files. HTTP authentication now takes precedence over URL authentication.
4.5.2 - March 21, 2017

• Stability updates for Sealevel E120 and other Ethernet DIO models

• "Console: has died" issue experienced by some users when running as a service has been addressed

• Support for Generic/HLS (HTTP live streaming) camera sources

• A time-lapse output feature has been added to the Convert/Export page. You may specify the speed factor (time multiplier) and output fps. The option is currently only available when used from the viewer with BVR source files.

• The system tray icons have been enlarged and re-rendered. Several new icons have been added to show Triggered, Paused, and Alert states. The icon will be cycled to reflect all applicable states.

• A new custom date formatting code %D may be used to add the English "st, nd, rd, th" to a day of the month value
4.5.1 - February 13, 2017

• Stability issues with Ethernet based SeaLevel devices have been addressed. A driver issue eventually causes a software crash and appropriate work-around measures have been implemented.

• Stability and quality issues with ReoLink cameras have been addressed. A firmware issue causes RTSP quality and device instability. However, newer versions of the ReoLink firmware support RTMP streaming instead, and this appears to work well. A new make/model device entry has been added for this on both the Video/Network and PTZ tabs. You must still set the camera's H.264 encoding to "base line."

• The 64-bit version of the software no longer appears to run on Vista 64 bit. This may be due to a number of OS updates and DLL incompatibilities which we are unable to resolve. The preferred solution would be upgrade to Windows 10 64-bit, but we have found that the software does continue to run on 32-versions of both Vista and XPSP3 (or you may select 32-bit when installing the software even on the 64-bit OS).

• The software is now compiled with Microsoft's latest Visual Studio 2017 RC.

• Video components updated
4.5.0 - January 22, 2017

• Added integration with Amazon Echo via physical device emulation. Begin Amazon Echo discovery via a new button on the Options/Mobile devices page. A "Blue Iris" device is added, along with a device for each camera where you have configured its Amazon setting. See the Mobile devices Help topic in order to learn about this integration.

• Memory leak bug fixed in RTMP/S device streaming (some Nest and Dropcam).

• Fix for issue with convert/export to AVI format
I'm a little curious about these "other" ethernet DIO devices the notes speak of lol.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your personal observation is wrong...why would you say the software is stalled? Makes no sense...what did you "personally observe"?
You're right, saying it's stalled isn't the right term because I have read your update posts on changes to BI but it always seems like incremental changes, not saying that's bad but would be nice to see the product grow and add new features (what they are don't know). Would you be able to address my two questions regarding masking and motion detection logic?

You are putting way to much trust in a quick fix from dahua...if it is ever resolved it will take months.
I thought the out of focus issue at night wasn't going to be resolved, but thanks to this community having a certain member in Dahua it was rectified extremely quickly.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You're right, saying it's stalled isn't the right term because I have read your update posts on changes to BI but it always seems like incremental changes, not saying that's bad but would be nice to see the product grow and add new features (what they are don't know). Would you be able to address my two questions regarding masking and motion detection logic?

I thought the out of focus issue at night wasn't going to be resolved, but thanks to this community having a certain member in Dahua it was rectified extremely quickly.
Here is a list of some of the new features Blue Iris Updates
New features are literally added monthly or more frequently.
Dahua had to do that because it was a defect in all cameras, they were likely working on a fix for months since release of this camera...Do you want your NVR rebooting randomly for months?
trust me, it will not be resolved quickly....all these manufactures are VERY slow to fix bugs and add features.
You can mask any areas you want..the motion logic is much more sophisticated and customization than dahua..you can set it differently for night and day etc..so completely different zones and sensitivities ...

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here is a list of some of the new features Blue Iris Updates
New features are literally added monthly or more frequently.
Point taken. I know you are a big supporter of BI and for a good reason. Was pleased to see the following on the bottom of that page.

A roadmap has been set for the next several years of version 4.x development. Based on your feedback, time will be invested into items such as motion tracking, further enhancement of motion detection along with the use of various smart filters, bulk and/or automatic export of movie content to transportable formats, revisions to the browser clients including a PC client version, investment into full-time support staff, as well as additional documentation in the form of tutorials and a full-form “manual.” Of course Blue Iris will always strive to stay ahead of the crowd with support for the latest camera technologies and Smartphone client app updates.

I will have to download a trial and play around with it in my spare time, though that might have the side effect with me switching... :facepalm:

Thanks for answering my questions.

Dahua had to do that because it was a defect in all cameras, they were likely working on a fix for months since release of this camera...Do you want your NVR rebooting randomly for months?
trust me, it will not be resolved quickly....all these manufactures are VERY slow to fix bugs and add features.
You can mask any areas you want..the motion logic is much more sophisticated and customization than dahua..you can set it differently for night and day etc..so completely different zones and sensitivities ...
Just got lucky with the timing of the fix. While my NVR has been unstable of late it's been fine, but yes i'm not ruling BI out.

I appreciate fixing bugs isn't their number one priority, just thought being a major manufacturer they would take feedback and action it and as you said they will but in time. Guess it's better than falling on deaf ears (which some may do).

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Added integration with Amazon Echo via physical device emulation. Begin Amazon Echo discovery via a new button on the Options/Mobile devices page. A "Blue Iris" device is added, along with a device for each camera where you have configured its Amazon setting. See the Mobile devices Help topic in order to learn about this integration.
I'm curious as to what you can get the echo to do with BI...

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
First reboot since the 31/03/2017 and it occurred while I was playing back footage on the NVR just as the object would have triggered the IVS event. Reboot flag 0x06f.

As I was using it when the reboot occurred this time I noticed the whole screen froze for a couple of minutes, before it rebooted.

Last edited:

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just heard back from Andy. The problem has been reported to Dahua and will be addressed in an upcoming firmware version, which he reckons should be out soon.
Nice any indication what it is? Lol uncaught exception?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Just heard back from Andy. The problem has been reported to Dahua and will be addressed in an upcoming firmware version, which he reckons should be out soon.
Hope the firmware update addresses the dropped frames problem that also occurs during an event. It's only a few frames/seconds, but it does miss some important action sometimes. This for me, actually happens more than the reboots. There are several odd things going on besides, like the trigger/intrusion green lines disappearing after an event, and not reappearing for a while in live view.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hope the firmware update addresses the dropped frames problem that also occurs during an event. It's only a few frames/seconds, but it does miss some important action sometimes. This for me, actually happens more than the reboots.
Same. The dropped frames happens pretty much on every event but took nayr's advice an matched the i-frame to the frame rate and that only results in 1 second being lost, better than nothing.

There are several odd things going on besides, like the trigger/intrusion green lines disappearing after an event, and not reappearing for a while in live view.
I listed a bunch of issues I sent to Andy in comment #74.

Reaction score
Same. The dropped frames happens pretty much on every event but took nayr's advice an matched the i-frame to the frame rate and that only results in 1 second being lost, better than nothing.

I listed a bunch of issues I sent to Andy in comment #74.
Yeah, I took @nayr's advice too. Would be a fool not to! So many little tricks to learn that make all the difference.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmm well my NVR has started rebooting almost daily now.

Yesterday it happened as soon as Jehovah's Witnesses walked up to the door, so I had zero footage.

This is definitely making me really nervous. It feels like I'm apt to miss an actual real event where I need the footage.

I guess I better order a load of SD cards so I have backups in each camera.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I noticed some strange behaviour. When I was playing around with BI on a test machine it seemed as though NVR crashed on every IVS event. Was testing something @hmjgriffon mentioned in another thread and every time I would come inside to check the NVR would be beeping away after it had rebooted.

Since my testing ended, it's been reboot free...

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I noticed some strange behaviour. When I was playing around with BI on a test machine it seemed as though NVR crashed on every IVS event. Was testing something @hmjgriffon mentioned in another thread and every time I would come inside to check the NVR would be beeping away after it had rebooted.

Since my testing ended, it's been reboot free...
You're using both BI and the NVR? On a complete side note, does BI respond to the triggers from the cameras? Ie can you let the cameras do the event flagging while BI does the recording? I've got a spare I5 kicking around that is a couple years old, perhaps I should just setup BI as well.

I had actually seen the canvassers walking down the street, so I opened up the gDMSS app on my phone and had connected directly to one of the cameras (versus through the nvr in gDMSS). I wonder if the remote access to the camera from gDMSS is what caused the reboot?

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You're using both BI and the NVR?
I had them both running at the same time while I was testing, yes. Since I've had my fun the BI machine has been switched off.

On a complete side note, does BI respond to the triggers from the cameras? Ie can you let the cameras do the event flagging while BI does the recording?
That is what @hmjgriffon suspected using a setting in BI but unfortunately he had left normal motion detection on in the camera and it was providing him with false hope :(...

I had actually seen the canvassers walking down the street, so I opened up the gDMSS app on my phone and had connected directly to one of the cameras (versus through the nvr in gDMSS). I wonder if the remote access to the camera from gDMSS is what caused the reboot?
That is what i'm starting to believe... because while BI was connected to the camera the NVR was super unstable.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

Yesterday it happened as soon as Jehovah's Witnesses walked up to the door, so I had zero footage.

This is definitely making me really nervous. It feels like I'm apt to miss an actual real event where I need the footage.

I guess I better order a load of SD cards so I have backups in each camera.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
hope all of your cams actually see the SD cards, I have one that refuses to.

You're using both BI and the NVR? On a complete side note, does BI respond to the triggers from the cameras? Ie can you let the cameras do the event flagging while BI does the recording? I've got a spare I5 kicking around that is a couple years old, perhaps I should just setup BI as well.

BI can pick up the regular motion events but not IVS on dahua cams. I have been communicating with Ken to see if he can make IVS work with BI.